Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2005, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Equipment Advice Please!

I currently have a JBJ 12G DX. After 4 months I am already out of room! I was considering getting a 24G JBJ but thought maybe there is a better way. THe JBJ is basically a tank with compartments in the back for a sponge, pump, and heater. I think I would be better off with a 29G tank, MH Fixture, and some type of hang on "device" on the back. That is where I need help. What type of hang on device could I buy that would hold a heater, sponge, and maybe a skimmer? Would this not be better than a stock JBJ?
Old 03/30/2005, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

I think you'd be better off. If you don't have the room for a sump, get a good quality hangon skimmer...I don't use a hangon but I believe people here recommend a Remora and also the CPR....do a search. there's plenty on that here in RC. Stock it with about 40 pounds or so of live rock. You wouldn't need a filter like you'd use on a freshwater tank.
Old 03/30/2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

If your are only going to get a 29g over the 24g JBJ nano, why not just get the JBJ nano and not have to worry about hanging things on the back just to hold a sponge, carbon, heater etc. The JBJ has these compartments nicely built right in to the back. All you will be gaining is 5g if you go up to a 29 and you still have to buy a hang on version of what JBJ already has built in.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 03/30/2005, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Sulp. The thing with the JBJ is the lighting. I want to keep more light demanding creatures like maybe a Deresa. If I buy a JBJ for $300+ I still have to upgrade the lighting. I was hoping to be able to get the 29G tank and whatever hang on filter/skimmer for less than that.
Old 03/30/2005, 02:34 PM
SPAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTAAAAAA

i would go with the 29, then get the remora skimmer, and then you can get whatever lighting you want.
Old 03/30/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I'd simply add another JBJ 12, kep the side by side and start separating species. Soon you could have 3-4-5 tanks... Hey, I may have to do that now!
Not a sellout!
Old 04/11/2005, 12:55 PM
Space Cowboy

if you're going for a 29, you might want to think about a 40-breeder - they have a lot more room front to back (easier to make creative aquastructure) and they're not very deep, so you can use less-intense lighting for high-light creatures (such as a couple T5 light strips from aquatraders.com) instead of getting metal halide and having to deal w/ the heat and building a canopy.

as far as filtration, there is a unit out now that incorporates a bac-pack skimmer and refugium all in one - this sounds like it would accomplish everything you want to do.
Old 04/11/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Off hand I have a hang on wet dry unit with some extra room to mount a heater, sponge filter pad. The skimmer I just hang on directly to the tank. It is working fine for me.Cyclone seams to be the brand. JD
Old 04/11/2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

CPR is the brand of the filter. And if you load up on live rock like my other tank, filteration would be a thing not to worry about. I'm just using a sponge coil. and skimmer. JD