Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Bak Pak 2R+ noise

Anyone figure out a way to cut the noise on this HOB skimmer? Mine is in my living room and if I can't quite it down I will have to remove it and go with a HOB refugium instead. As soon as I allow air into the pump it gets quite loud. I was wondering if a different pump would help, or maybe building a shroud. I am breaking the cardinal rule that if it works don't fix it-my tank has been runing great w/o a skimmer but since I wish to increase my bioload I thought I would be proactive and add more filtration. Any thoughts?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

did yours come with the rio pump or the Maxi-jet?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I had this issue as well and never resolved it. The way the venturi works on this causes the pump to cavitate (well, not really, but it's a similar phenomenon) and you get lots of vibration. I ended up punting and getting a "better" skimmer (Remora). This was a few years ago. Now there are vastly better HOB skimmers available, e.g. from Octopus, as well as the Rogue (I forget who makes it). I would look into saving my pennies for an upgrade.

Dan
Old 01/09/2008, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

I think it must be a Rio, did not look close when I through it together last night. I can return it to Petsolutions so where would I find one of these other skimmers and are they produce less noise?
Old 01/09/2008, 05:17 PM
g l a s s b o x

for a 75g tank deltec mce600 and bermuda rogue are really your only choices. our mce600 is very quiet. cant comment on the rogue.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/09/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Try this silencer, get a small pill container drill a hole on the bottom and another one on the cap, fill the container with a paper towel or toilet paper. Put the hose going to the pump through the hole in the bottom and also put a smaller hose piece on the cap and close the container.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Where would you suggest getting a Deltec skimmer? If yours was in your living room could you here it across the room?

I will try the muffler too.

Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 06:55 PM
g l a s s b o x

once set up properly and broken in, it should be barely audible. you can get them from deltecusa.us

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/09/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

My MCE600 is about 5 feet from the head of my bed. The noise does not bug or keep me from sleeping at all. It makes a very quiet hum, thats about it.
3x Koralia 3's
Litermeter3
Dual stage Ranco controller

Matt
Old 01/10/2008, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

why not contact cprusa.com 707.826.9697 as I used there skimmers for some time and it is not noisy. There must be something wrong.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

That's a pretty small skimmer for a 75.

But, in any event, you can modify the skimmer to make it silent and more productive at the same time. It's a bit complicated, but one you understand the principle, it's not that bad. Essentially what you want to do is use airstones to create the bubbles, not the venturi valve on the pump.

Take two semi-rigid airlines and push them through the return side of the skimmer and work them through to the chamber below the collection cup. Connect air stones and push back down into that chamber. Run the lines to an air pump with two outlets and a rheostat.

Now yank off that airline to the powerhead. Your airstones now will create your minibubbles. You can control the airflow to tweak it just right. You'll find that if you have a good air pump, you can set your collection cup very high and pull out much more dry foam and junk than you were pulling before. It also is very quiet. You'll need to get used to emptying your collection cup more frequently, though. I'm pretty sure the collection cups on the the cprs are not overflow proof.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

lark, thanks for that idea. I just so happen to have just shut off my Rena air pump (their largest one) and will give this a try. I bet Rena's micro bubble air stones will work great too.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

try the silencer, you wont hear anything again.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I built a silencer out of an old Chemi-pure container, some filter floss and carbon (for when the wife frebreezes the house) and it eliminated the noise from the intake. Good sugestion, thanks.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html

Check out this I use it on my large skimmer(euro reef) makes it silent