Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

OT: Generators, what all do you have?

I'm in the market for a good generator, but after doing some research have discovered that there is quite a bit of variability in cost. On the high end is Honda (sometimes 3X as much), but probably more reliable and quieter. Then there is everything else.

For those of you who have generators, what do you have, and what wattage? I'm thinking 3Kw generator might suit my needs but an curious to hear from others. Opinions?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:41 AM
My tank is too full

I use the honda 1000ex for my little needs. This is my backup that we keep in the trailer for oour outdoor needs.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...lName=eu3000is

To thine own self be true
Old 01/08/2008, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

I have read some VERY good things about a Champion generator that is $300. Everywhere I have researched it has been nothing but positive (RC, nano forum, and RV forum). I'm sorry, I don't recall the model. I'll try to dig up a link later. I believe it was either a 4kw or 3 kw for $300. Most were buying them online for around $330 shipped.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/08/2008, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Marko9, is the 1000 watts enough to keep your tanks going during a power outage?

bored4long, seems I remember someone else here has a Champion generator as well. This is good to know as this is so much cheaper. Anyone else have a Champion?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I have the Kipor Sinemaster KGE3000TI Digital Inverter Generator; it's basically a clone of the Honda EU3000is. It puts out a clean and consistent current and is relatively quiet.

"the inverter "purifies" the initial alternating current, inverts it to direct current and reduces the voltage wave distortion to the lowest limit, and finally, the direct current is inverted into clean and smooth alternating current output. The power wave of Ti generator set is the perfect sine wave, so it can run some precise equipment or instruments sensitive to the voltage fluctuation, such as computers, etc.,

I bought it for use with my travel trailer, but it's nice to have around the house just in case....I'd STRONGLY recommend not buying one of the industrial "unenclosed" generators as they are not only extremely loud, but are also somewhat inefficient. Go with an enclosed "noise barrier design" like the Hondas and the Kipors and you'll be much more likely to actually use the thing when the need arises.

Last edited by shiveley; 01/08/2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:10 PM
My tank is too full

I let a fellow reefer use it over the last few days and he was running two heaters, a tunze, some lights and his TV off of it.

I have ran PH's, heaters, actinics and my fridge off of it before. One thing about this hobby is we all started out with cheap stuff and then moved up to the stuff we should of bought in the first place. I also use my stuff for recreational use as well. If I was to buy another, I would spend the extra money and get a honda all over again.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/08/2008, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

i bought a 2300 watt at pep boys auto for $200. i,m pleased with it
Old 01/08/2008, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

I'm getting a Honda EU200i. I've used them for years but never owned one myself. Just about the quietest one you could find and yes, I've tried most out there at various times. My last career was nearly dependant on using genes.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

The best information regarding the Champions can be found on RV.net. There are some enormous threads (400+ pages!) on their success and popularity.

This one may be a bit better to digest:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/1

Here is the recommended place to purchase it (if you have to buy it online). PartsAmerica commonly runs coupons:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3483C

For the limited (if any) use an emergency generator may get, $300 is the perfect pricepoint for me. A Honda eu3000 is $2000 and a eu2000 is $1000. Yikes.

I'd be interested in hearing how vital 'clean' power is for emergency power. If I'm running a heater and some powerheads, does it really matter? How much is clean power going to cost me versus the chance of replacing a couple emergency powerheads?
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/08/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

OT to your OT thread. I went with an Inverter.

As a renter with my garage full of everything from camping, backpacking, skiing, tools, reef, scrapbooking, bicycles and other various crap... I don't have room for the footprint of a generator or space to store fuel for it. Some only run for about 8-12 hours. So I went the inverter off my vehicle route in case of emergency. Ease of storage (fits easily on a small shelf with little footprint), extension cord can be used otherwise, and I do not need to store fuel for these very rare power outage events.

But nonetheless, I appreciate the discussion here about different generators. One thing to consider is the quality of the AC wave. Some cheap inverters only use a Modified Sine Wave which isn't a wave at all but an on/off box shape path. Others truncate the box in steps so it more closely approaches that of a natural sine wave. Finally last, do a near perferct job at creating a sine wave that even the finest electronics and finiky, clean energy requiring systems will love to operate with. Just my two cents on an option other than a generator.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

We had no power for 48 hours. I used a 750watt inverter that I got at Walmar for $65 and ran it off my car. My car burned about 4 gallons for about 7 hours of use. The inverter has the "modified sine wave". I used it for my computer, TV, everything on the fish tank (VHO, ph's, heaters), and various other items (not all at once).

Walmart has good prices on generators but they sold out quickly.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Does the Champion generator offer the clean power or sinewave?
Old 01/08/2008, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

I went out and bought the Champion 4000w on sale for only $299 at Kragens through Jan 26th. They also have other sizes on sale. It ran 100% of my reef and most of the rest of my house all Friday night just fine (it has a 4 gallon gas tank and is rated to run at 1/2 load for 12.5 hours). My only concern is it is a bit loud. I put it in my backyard to minimize the impact on my neighbors and I had no complaints. I'm assuming it has a clean sine wave since everything ran fine, but short of putting it on an oscilliscope I have no way of proving this.

I love Honda products and If I had the money I would gladly buy a Honda, but for 1/5 the price the Champion worked like a champion! It is basically a clone of the Honda anyways, just not as quiet or nice.

James
Old 01/08/2008, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

This one for $199 seems like a no brainer: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3483C

If I stored this outside, what would be the best thing to store this in? Obviously, I don't want it to rain on it.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If I stored this outside, what would be the best thing to store this in? Obviously, I don't want it to rain on it. [/B]
Check Walmart and Lowes for their large rubbermaid containers with lid.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking about the large Rubbermaids. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
Old 01/08/2008, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I also bought the 4000W Champion generator from Kragen. It ran flawlessly and ran close to 10Hrs on a full tank.

I ran my full reef, TV, Satelite, computers, Refridgerator. Nice little generator and for $300
Old 01/08/2008, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Does the Champion start on the first pull? Does it seem like it will last for a few years?
Old 01/08/2008, 03:27 PM
have fun with it!~)

Costco will be offering $200 off of a cummins onan homesite 6500 portable generator with accesory kit...
Features electric start and 5500 peak watts of power. Accessory kit includes wheel and handle kit, cord and cover. So the cost will be $799.99. Shipping and handling included!-)
Anyone have any info on this one or know where to find it?-)
Old 01/08/2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Maximus i cant say for all the champions but mine did start first pull.

To me it defiently seems like it will last for sometime. But, like everything else you really dont know until it dies on you or it last forever

BUt all in all it is a nice generator
Old 01/08/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

This is the exact one i got

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....c7c089f3c3ba8b
Old 01/08/2008, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

I have the same one as kdlove-99 and mine started on the first pull. Its a steal at $299!

James
Old 01/08/2008, 04:13 PM
AKA:

Model 5244

http://norwall.com/qs_16.htm
Old 01/08/2008, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

i have a briggs and straton. The cost, you will find will vary, based upon electric start, max watts, and for instance, Hondas, are the quietest ones, but you will pay for it and the name.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone run a natural gas unit tied to the house that automatically fires up when power is lost?