Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/04/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy $$$ Holy Cow

Well I wanted to do a closed loop and after looing into different types, I decided to bite the bullet and drill for a OM 4way with a dart pump. After these were purchased I thougt the expensive part was over.

So I went to Home Depot today to get the plumbing.
Photobucket

No one ever told me it will be another 150 dollars in plumbing. For anyone else with this setup, did it cost just as much? or do I have stuff I don't need?
Old 01/04/2008, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Its the valves and unions that cost you so much .I did a custom install on a 450 gallon tank and we spent allmost 400$ on couplers,valves,unions, etc. But if you want a safe install with ease for maintenance you better bite the bullet.... This hobby is like a remodeling job for a house or restoring an old car. your never done.....
Old 01/04/2008, 02:35 PM
Shake and bake!

Buying all your plumbing from Home Depot is never a cheap experience.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I believe it. After I did my closed loop with a Dart, I realized it would have been easier and a little cheaper to have just bought 2 Tunze 6100s lol!
Old 01/04/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
Buying all your plumbing from Home Depot is never a cheap experience.
return them and pay a visit to your local plumber's shop. you'll save about half of what home depot or lowes charges.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:45 PM
Shake and bake!

www.savko.com
Old 01/04/2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Vortech... the economical solution =P

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 01/04/2008, 03:42 PM

plumbing definitely adds up
Old 01/04/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

After investigating closed-loop versus VorTech, I chose the latter, no contest. Criteria included noise, complexity, flow, power consumption, maintenance, total space, and bang/buck. I have a 3000 gal/hr VorTech. It would have cost a small fortune to get the same flow with a closed loop system.

Dan
Old 01/04/2008, 08:55 PM
Respek!

Stay away from HD when you need fittings and pipe. As suggested above, go to a local plumbing store and buy your fittings for retail price there (it will be markedly cheaper). Better solution: make friends with someone with a trade who has an account with a plumbing store and pay discounted wholesale prices.

"mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 01/04/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NuclearReefs
Its the valves and unions that cost you so much .I did a custom install on a 450 gallon tank and we spent allmost 400$ on couplers,valves,unions, etc. But if you want a safe install with ease for maintenance you better bite the bullet....this hobby is like a remodeling job for a house or restoring an old car. your never done .....
isn't that the truth
Old 01/05/2008, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

I hate those ball valves. I have them but will not ever buy them again they are a pain to turn. I will and would go to Savko.com and get the true union ball valves much nicer
Old 01/05/2008, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

I would say you didn't spend enough. If it were me, I wouldn't use anything but true union ball valves. They have them at Lowes, but they are a bit more money.

Brad
Old 01/05/2008, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

As much as I think TUNZE streams are over priced, they do have some advantages over closed loops. They will never leak. Have much lower power consumption. Also mine are on battery backup, and tested to run for several hours to keep the sand bed aerated.

I dunk them in a bucket of 1% vinegar once a year to clean off deposits. Too many parts for a simple device. Can't help but think I was screwed.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

Slow leak...What kind of battery backup do you use? I have a pair of 6100's and was thinking about using an APC UPS (like one used for a computer server).
Old 01/06/2008, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Also...forgot to say that I too chose the Tunzes on the advice from Tony at reefexotics. No chance of leaking and much quieter.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I agree. No drilling of 500 usd tanks here. I do think the new Eco tech has a better electronic design. Tunze has a two part transfomer prior to the controller. That is plain odd by todays standards.

It is critical for long term success to have a backup on these power heads. Any computer UPS will do. I suggest at least 900 watt supply and doing a full cycle to time it yourself. I only have one of two pumps attached to increase battery life while protecting sand bed.

The model I use is a Conext 900. The key is to get a bare bones computer model with a replaceable battery. The replacement battery for this is only 25. I had it from a computer replacement so it is what I went with.

They consist of a voltage regulator and battery, so I might recommend ebay and expect to get a spare battery.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:43 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slow_leak
Yeah, I agree. No drilling of 500 usd tanks here. I do think the new Eco tech has a better electronic design. Tunze has a two part transfomer prior to the controller. That is plain odd by todays standards.
That is no longer true. The New Tunzes dont have that external transformer. The Ecotechs are too noisy for my liking.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Ok I have the old style (now w/o replacement parts?)

I am confused as to how the ecotech would make any noise if it has decent bearing system.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

I agree HD and Lowes are way over-priced on almost everything!! I own a pool company and use boxes of plumbing fittings, valves etc, before getting an account with a distributor, the local plumbing stores were much cheaper! As suggested before make friends with a plumber or pool person and they can get it even cheaper!!
Old 01/06/2008, 10:50 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slow_leak
Ok I have the old style (now w/o replacement parts?)

I am confused as to how the ecotech would make any noise if it has decent bearing system.
I have the old sytle too. Tunze will support them for a long time. No worries. The Vortech motors are noisy. The exterior motors are very audible. The propeller side also gets noisy when run at or near full speed. I tried them and could not stand the noise. I kept the Tunzes.