Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/10/2008, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dedfish
I agree. It's still flow coming from one direction. The vortech may put out a wide stream at many different power levels but I don't think it's the best solution out there.
Maybe, I want as little in the display as possible. Anyone who has one of these disagrees with what you are saying, but time will tell. If I need more, I can throw in my koralia 3 that's sitting in my basement.

Also I spoke with mark levenson, and he very highly reccomended 1 vortech over many other options.

I am getting the tank tomorrow, I'm pumped
Old 01/10/2008, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dedfish
I agree. It's still flow coming from one direction. The vortech may put out a wide stream at many different power levels but I don't think it's the best solution out there.
Maybe, I want as little in the display as possible. Anyone who has one of these disagrees with what you are saying, but time will tell. If I need more, I can throw in my koralia 3 that's sitting in my basement.

Also I spoke with mark levenson, and he very highly reccomended 1 vortech over many other options.

I am getting the tank tomorrow, I'm pumped
Old 01/10/2008, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Can someone tell me the average prices for the various size tech tanks? I'm trying to plan an upgrade from my 20L.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

I had origionally thought that multiple powerheads would be better than a vortech until I tried the vortech . With just 1, the undertoe was amazing as was the back and fourth motion of the water. And it takes up no room in the tank. By far my best investment. Now if you are one that doesnt need alot of flow then don't waste ur money.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

ccorpsecheck out that thatfishplace theyre a sponsor here and will give you an idea on pricing. You probably wont find too many places cheaper though, but it will give you a starting point
Old 01/10/2008, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

That Fish Place will have all their tanks on sale in March, for their annual Anniversary Sale. You have to pick up at the retail store, though.

Joe
Old 01/10/2008, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

DAMMIT, stop talking about how great the Vortech's are - I'm SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY !!!!!ARRHG....
Old 01/10/2008, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Do it. vortech, do it. I didn't think I would, but I just said F it. I am getting a top of the line tank, I am going to go top ot the line on equip. That pet place has all there prices online. I think they take money off if you buy the stand too. That store is awesome.

I go to Lancaster every now and then for work. I always stop. Once I even got my wife up there. She was very happy with the dog section as we have two spoiled yorkies. I was in the fish section for about an hr, and she didnt bother me once

Joe, sick deal on your tank, I paid what you did for my 70
Old 01/10/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsn112
Do it. vortech, do it. I didn't think I would, but I just said F it. I am getting a top of the line tank, I am going to go top ot the line on equip. That pet place has all there prices online. I think they take money off if you buy the stand too. That store is awesome.

Now you're just being mean.....
Old 01/10/2008, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Haha, sorry MD, just trying to antagonize you. After seeing what they can do and Marc Levenson of Melevsreef telling me it would work great and take up 1/8th the space of two Koralias, I was sold. I am going to build my sump today, and order my reefkeepr 2 and skimmer early next week. Then the Tek, and I will be ready to go. Got my eye out for local breakdowns for LR and anything else I need.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsn112
if you have the wireless vortech, you can do a ton of flow patterns with It. Totally random, I think there are a few different modes you can do with just one pump, and if you have more then even more options.

I just got a brand new one with the wireless for 380 shipped. Its about 40 plus shipping less than most places.

Heres what it can do alone:
Reef Crest Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary from one speed to another rapidly to simulate the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.

Lagoon Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary slowly from one speed to another to simulate a calmer, lagoonal reef environment.
Care to share or PM with this price? I can't find it for anywhere near that price. 3 hundred something is almost justifiable, but near $500 with wireless controller I'm just struggling with...
Old 01/10/2008, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

pm sent md
Old 01/10/2008, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Thanks....my tank better look stunning when it's up and running. I'll need to spend a lot of time staring at it as I won't be able to afford to go out until about October-ish.
Oh well, can't take it with ya...
Old 01/10/2008, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Its only money!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currentking
I have 2 vortech on my 120. They are fully worth the money. They give flow to the entire tank. The flow is so random and its not a stream of flow.
How did you set yours up with the existing return flow? Do you have any pictures? I'm thinking about getting the same for my 120.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

I am thinking of using all the holes for the returns to the sump and doing four feeds to the tank up the back and put one in each corner maybe with a Ocean Motions

Jason
Old 01/11/2008, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

i have pictures, i will post later . I am using a mag 9 for the return and i split it to goto both returns. I wanted low flow through my fuge
Old 01/11/2008, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

I might do a mag 7, which at 5' of head it does 420 gph which will be about 5 times my total volume. (70g tech)

After reading Melev's sump guide it sounds about right.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

but cut that in half because you have 2 returns
Old 01/11/2008, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

I ordered the Sequence Snapper pump 2500GPH
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=Sequence
Ya think it might be a little to much LOL
I will T it off and run a line back to the sump
How much do you think I can run through the four holes in the overflow?

Jason
Old 01/11/2008, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currentking
but cut that in half because you have 2 returns
Im picking it up tonight and due to the crappy oceanic site I can't be sure, but isnt it 1 drain and one return on the 70?

I thought only the 90 and 120 had multiple drains and returns
Old 01/11/2008, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

yes it is only one return on the 70. I thought you were going for the big boy
Old 01/11/2008, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

I would, but just doesn't work for my location right now. In my next house, I want to go inwall. Then the big boy will come!