Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

where can I get the parts? thanks!
Old 06/10/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

ER 6-1

Hi All --

Just bought a used ER 6-1. I'm just getting my tank started, so just added salt and sand - nothing living yet. Anyway I was wondering if some of the ER pros could help me with my skimmer.

Out of the box everything looked ok, excpet some missing plumming parts. I had some extra 1.5 PVC laying around so I put togher the Gate-mod except the Gate b/c none of the local stores had one. I had it up-runnimg as descripbed, (in sump - 8-10 inched of water.) Everything looked OK the entrie main shaft was screaming with bubbles. However nothing was ever reaching the cup. I should have been making some skim mate in 24 hours, as the debreis from the sand..etc.. Also woth nothing the the air line didnt have any soft of setting controls, so the air was was wide-open.

That brings me to today. I made anther trip to lowes, and they had a ball value which I hadent see at any other store. It was very easy to move all PVC, so I figured "what the heck" bought it, dry fitted everything, then glue, waited, and turned the switch today. The bubbles immediatly went to the top, filled the cup within 2 minutes, and stated overflowing. No big deal b/c I'm running in-sump. I verified that the ball value was 100% open. I knew it was open b/c when I closed the valve it only made the sutuaion worse. I was able to stuff some tissue papper in the air line to constrict the air flow, which seemed to bring the water level to very top of the cup, but now my sump is complely filled with mico-bubbles.

Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sorry for any spelling . grammer I'm in a bit if a hurry (still messing with the tank)

One more note. I drilled the cup, to put in a auto drain, not sure if that would make any differece, but it sure has come in handy while tunning the wild skimmer. I just pointed the return hose back into the sump.

Thanks
-dg
Old 06/10/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Just another note, after some reading on posessed skimmers, I decided to run some carbon. Maybe some sort of solvant, or detergant made it's want into the tank. The towl I had been using all day smelt very downy fresh. Also I didnt rinse any of the pipes/fillting I used. Not sure....

-dg
Old 06/11/2007, 10:02 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by ddgluck
Just another note, after some reading on posessed skimmers, I decided to run some carbon. Maybe some sort of solvant, or detergant made it's want into the tank. The towl I had been using all day smelt very downy fresh. Also I didnt rinse any of the pipes/fillting I used. Not sure....

-dg
bingo

I think you will get it dialed in after that stuff wares off. But it does sound like you could use an airline control valve.
Old 06/11/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EuroReef Tec1
...But it does sound like you could use an airline control valve.
Is it better to control the air input with the control valve or the water level with the wedge pipe (on the new RS180 and RS250)?

I thought the idea with skimming was to get as much air mixing with the water to pull out more junk. Is that not correct?
Old 06/11/2007, 10:28 AM
RC Sponsor

That is true, but you have to find a medium so your skimmer doesnt over flow do to chemistry problems, or any other unforseen problems like he has. If your skimmer is overflowing it isn't doing anything.
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 06/11/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doubledown
Is it better to control the air input with the control valve or the water level with the wedge pipe (on the new RS180 and RS250)?
Should I be looking for a happy medium then? Using both to really fine-tune the skimmer to my tank?
Old 06/11/2007, 11:27 AM
RC Sponsor

oh yes
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 06/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I just got my Euroreef RS180 in yesterday. I was wondering how deep the water is suppose to be in the sump for this skimmer?
Old 06/13/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weap0n_X
I just got my Euroreef RS180 in yesterday. I was wondering how deep the water is suppose to be in the sump for this skimmer?
I was told the max water level should be the top of the elbow on the pump outlet.
Old 06/20/2007, 10:33 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Can someone tell me the ID of the restrction on the intake venturi for the eheim 1262's?
Old 06/21/2007, 01:18 AM
Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by Doubledown
I was told the max water level should be the top of the elbow on the pump outlet.
How high is that? Anyone?

Also, I'm running two small ER's on my 180 now, two CS5-2's. These things just crush it and I brought them over when I upgraded a couple of months ago.

Will a RC135 or 180 series really skim that much better than these two combined?
Old 06/21/2007, 11:03 AM
RC Sponsor

NewSchool: PM Sent
Old 06/21/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a question. I have a RS 135. everytime after I restart. It will overflow a bit. I read about adjusting the air and water level. Should I dial down the air intake to avoid that from happening?
Old 06/21/2007, 03:51 PM
RC Sponsor

ddboy: PM Sent
Old 06/22/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Got my new CS1000+ Skimmer up and running!

Check out this Euro-Reef skimmer now running on my 1200gal SPS coral farm!

It's a modified/beefed up RC1000 built by Euro-Reef. It Stands 56" tall, has a 1 1/2" inlet, 2" outlet and uses 7 EHIEM NW pumps! Fits like a glove. They fallowed my space requirements to a tee and were able to also add an extra 4" to the reaction chamber and another 4" to the riser tube. I added another 5" to out-flow tube to get the water level into the riser tube, and I also added a little mesh modification to each impeller to make the bubbles even smaller.

Here is a shot 16hr later

This is what I used to get in a week with the old DIY skimmer!
This was with just 4 of the 7 pumps running over night!

I ended up undoing my out-flow extension, lowering back to where it was and tested it with all 7 pumps. Here is what that looked like.

and looking at the bottom skimmer from another angle

Very impressive!

Steve G
Old 06/22/2007, 12:35 AM
Carpe Noctem

That's a nice little piece of equipment there!
Old 06/22/2007, 12:50 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Wow, looks like it actually be running better with only 4 pumps rather than all 7! What a beast... I think that is the largest ER I have ever seen.
Old 06/22/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

That things is super nice I'm going to be doing a mod like that very soon!
Old 06/22/2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Steve1714,
Before I hack up my ER impeller to do a mesh mod, could you elaborate on the procedure/type of mesh you used and how you feel about the difference it made?
That looks fairly simple and best of all doesn't destroy the impeller, I'd like to see how it will work on my system.

Thanks, Chris
Old 06/22/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

A sea K,
All you need is some mesh that has smaller holes than the pins, this mesh must stretch, not peal or tear apart, the stuff i used i think came from a bag of marbles. Look around the supermarket next time you are there and you will find this mesh used to hold fruit and stuff. Just get a few layers pushed through the pins, i only used 3 i feel if i did 5 it would be too much for the chamber to handle, I've gone up to 5 and six layers on the Sedra pumps with positive results. It's as simple as it looks in the pictures, and if you don't like it later just take it out. Just be careful not to loose those spacers behind and in front of the impeller.

here is a close up.

Steve G
Old 06/22/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Steve,
I have an RS 80 Euro-Reef, would this mod work? After modification do you still use the spacers?
Thanks
Old 06/22/2007, 11:33 AM
High Plains Drifter

I would think that these skimmers (to a degree) are designed to handle a certain amount of air. By modding a pump to draw more air, you may or may not cause too much turbulance in the skimmer body and neck. This can cause lower productivity.

I'd really like to hear from euroreef tech1 on this. I know on some of the older sedra models, the extra air is okay in the body, becuase the pumps were underpowerd. But the newer ER's match the pump to the body much better than they did in the past.

Jim

Last edited by jimdogg187; 06/22/2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06/22/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

My RS80 is less than a year old.
Old 06/22/2007, 11:39 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
I would think that these skimmers (to a degree) are designed to handle a certain amount of air. By modding a pump to draw more air, you may or may not be cause too much turbulance in the skimmer body and neck. This can cause lower productivity.

I'd really like to hear for euroreef tech1 on this. I know on some of the older sedra models, the extra air is okay in the body, becuase the pumps were underpowerd. But the newer ER match the pump to the body much better than they did in the past.

Jim
I've posted this before, but I had an RS250 (SP5 pump) that I did a mesh mod on. The LPM increased from 18 to 20. It used a lot more power, made a lot more noise, and I could not get the same production as the stock ER PW impeller. This was a typical 3 layer PF4 mesh type impeller, not mesh added to the PW impeller.