Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

View Poll Results: Would your next tank be acrylic as well?
Affirmative (yes) 36 35.29%
Negative (no) 66 64.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/12/2007, 10:43 PM
Retired Reefer

acrylic tank owners: Would you do it again? (VOTE!)

What up guys,

As a useful way to synthesize all the data that is out there on reef central regarding peoples experiences with acrylic tanks (and my future 150 or 180g tank...), I propose a vote.

Those who are legible to vote are those who currently own, or have owned, acrylic tanks for more than two years. Previous glass experience is a plus, but unnecessary.

Question: Giving your experience with acrylic, would your next tank be acrylic?

If you have only had experience with glass... tough, sit and watch like the rest of us

Polls are now open.

Old 12/13/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Not as a display tank. For anything else (sump, refugium, frag tank, etc.), I would still use it.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

I voted even though I don't own acrylic.

I was very interested in the results(wont show without a vote)

I WAS considering acrylic for my next tank.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

I ran my first acrylic tank for 14 years. When I upsized, I never even considered glass. I've read too many horror stories, and I just don't trust them long term.

I've experienced that most of the scratches are caused by fish, so there is nothing you can do to prevent them.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

love my acrylic 180g. but I did just buy a 210 glass tank (but it was a good deal)lol
Old 12/13/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

My 65gal is acrylic and my others are glass. I love my acrylic tank and would get another one again.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
Not as a display tank. For anything else (sump, refugium, frag tank, etc.), I would still use it.
I second that
Old 12/13/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
3rd!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:50 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Quote:
Originally posted by steve1963
(wont show without a vote)

All you have to do is click on "view results" and it shows you. You don't have to vote to see them.

I would do acrylic again. I have a 180 acrylic and love being able to get the scratches out with sandpaper. I also hear that acrylic is clearer than glass.

I don't know how the poster can say that the scratches are caused by fish though. I have watched my hippo tang swat the front panel dozens of times with his tail and I don't see any scratches from his spines. He swats at it when he sees me and wants food.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:50 AM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

I voted no. I have scratched mine too easily... even just corraline scrapings caught under a mag float will scratch it. I LOVE the DIY-ability of acrylic, but I hate the scratch factor. I will spend more money for a custom glass tank in the future.

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 12/13/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Untamed12
I ran my first acrylic tank for 14 years. When I upsized, I never even considered glass. I've read too many horror stories, and I just don't trust them long term.

I've experienced that most of the scratches are caused by fish, so there is nothing you can do to prevent them.
Does that mean you trust the glue with acrylic more than the silicone with glass?
Old 12/13/2007, 09:59 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

I have had both, currently have a 375 acrylic. When I upgrade I would go acylic again. I had scratches on my old glass tanks and I could not remove them but with the acrylic I just sand them right out and the tank looks as goode as new
Old 12/13/2007, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

I have a 300g acrylic and would do it again. They scratch easier but have a lifetime warranty, glass tanks don't.

And yes, fish can scratch acrylic.

Janna
Old 12/13/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

No for tanks under 120g,

Yes for tanks above 120g (glass just to damn heavy!) Takes entire block of people to move 225g tank an inch.

Don't use magnet cleaners (great idea until a piece of grit lands in pad and before you know it, scratches everywhere)
Use two acrylic pads, one for mid to top half and one for bottom near sand (avoids getting sand in your pad for viewing areas of acrylic)
Don't place LR to close to sides, don't even risk a scratch from rock collapse
Don't use credit cards or scrapers to clean acrylic
Do clean everyday, else you will be forced to use force to clean algae = more likely to have swirl marks over time

Last edited by fantastic4; 12/13/2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:15 PM
Team RC Member

I had a 5' long acrylic tank with a top brace, big acrylic sump with no top-bracing.

Ran it nearly 10 years. Over time, the top stayed pretty steady---but the bottom [unbraced] developed an increasingly alarming bow outward. Warm water and weight bends plastic, nuff said.

I have also had a 6' TALL triangular tank turn loose its back-seam under warm water and pressure. THAT was an expensive mess and a disappointment.

I have had a rockslide put a permanent deep scratch on my tank face.

And after 10 years, the top brace was showing stress, meaning warm water, exposure to strong lights, over all, was proving that plastic is more reactive than glass to both those pressures.

So, no, the joy of using a razor blade on a coralline encrustation, the surety that my very thick glass will NOT bow under the ordinary pressures of my tank...I use an acrylic 30 g sump [bowing already!] and will continue to use acrylic in sumps and other places where drilling is necessary----but for view and long-term stability, give me glass, thank you.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

YES SIR! let me tell you about my 310.
I love it I will never own a glass tank again. The view is untouchable.

I have had my 310 for several yrs. and no scratches to date.

You MUST pay attention to what you are doing when around or in it. Don't attack it when you clean it just take your time and you to will never have an issue.

To the guy above: I am sorry to hear you had those issues with your braces and what not. Sad... But 10 yrs. old or even older...NO PROBLEM! you had a "LIFETIME" warranty. just make the call and get a new one free. HA! please don't mis-lead this guy he want to get an education on this subject, They are not plastic, Huge difference.

Lucky
Old 12/13/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

I have a difficult time understanding why anybody would dislike acrylic so much. I own acrylic and would definitely purchase acrylic for my next tank. I am cautious when I clean my tank, but not overly so. I rarely scratch it and when I do it takes about 3 minutes to completely remove the scratch and it looks as good as new. The scratch factor of acrylic is extremely overstated in my opinion.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:46 PM
I am a super nose picker

I have an acrylic 300 and I can say that the tank is so clear to look at.My tank is only 4 months old,I do have 2 very insignificant scratches(if you can call them that) they are very light I just didn't bother to remove them until I get a scratch that needs removing.I hope that doesn't happen.I have had many a rock slide in my old 150 glass tank.I never scratched my glass tank(had it 3 years) I am more paranoid when it comes to acrylic.I have to say the clarity is much better.If I was to get a glass tank it would have to be made from low iron..Glass is so much heavier.It took me and a friend to lift my tank.Here is a pic.I am still in the build process
Old 12/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

I have had both and I now have a 60 gallon acrylic cube that I love.

I agree with everyone who has posted that says acrylic is great, but you just have to be careful working around it. The clarity of my acrylic tank is incredible.

In addition, Acrylic is a good insulator and my tank does not have the temperature swings that my glass tank did.

Also, if you have children (or visiting children), acrylic is much tougher than glass.

Another BIG deal is the weight. Glass is very heavy and acrylic isn't. I can lift my tank all by myself (empty of course). This is a really big deal if you ever have to move. You know what happened to my old glass tank ???? The movers dropped it and shattered the back. I ended up throwing it in the trash. Acrylic is light and tough and should survive a move.

For cleaning, I would like to mention the Dawn spin brush.
This is the best invention since sliced bread.
It honestly works as quickly and as fast to clean algae & corraline than a razor blade on glass (just have to keep the batteries new or recharged) with NO scratches.
Old 12/13/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I would do it again, only if I could not get a starphire tank.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:30 PM
Team RC Member

WEll, and be it said, [from the negative experience] these were in the 1980's. I'm hoping the tech [and the seam!] has improved a bit. That 6 foot tall that split down the back-seam was a real bummer! But I DO like being able to take after algae with a razor.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I'll never own another "GLASS" tank again! I had a galss tank less than 1 year old split down the bottom durring the night and I lost my reef 2 years ago. Since then I bought a 150 gallon tenecor acrylic tank and man it's good to sleep easy knowing there is no way the tank will break. I could beat a baseball bat off the front of my tank if it wouldn't skuff it. The seems of a modern acrylic tank are stronger than the actual panes themselves. No more leaky tanks for me.

Keep in mind that the results of this pole may not be very accurate because some of the people who answered "NO" may be jellous glass owners.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:13 AM
Retired Reefer

23 in favor of acrylic, 36 in favor of glass

The results of this poll are surprising. I've never owned an acrylic tank, and I am surprised that I am considering it for my next ~200g tank... What do you guys think? The glass tank would be starphire...
Old 12/16/2007, 12:51 AM
King of the white corals

nope.

Unfortunately riddling my tanks with holes and an external C to C overflow box is mandatory so the next tanks I buy are going to have to be thick and custom made, starfire, and cost a fortune.

both of my displays are currently acrylic
Old 12/18/2007, 11:51 PM
Retired Reefer

thats pretty much exactly what I want, flyyyguy. Clear glass, CtoC overflow...

Im still toying with the idea of getting an acrylic tank, because such a tank in glass costs more, right?