Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

$%&@ Microbubbles from my return! HELP

I finally got the microbubble issue from my skimmer resolved. However, the return pipe to the sump from my overflow is still generating a ton of microbubbles where it dumps in. In spite of all my efforts, they are still making it past my baffles.

The return is plumbed with 1" PVC. The output is submerged about 4" under water.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

EDIT: I should mention that I am one of the unfortunate souls that is using an overflow box.
Old 05/28/2006, 02:13 PM
HAS ANYONE SEEN MY ZOOS?

The overflow box has nothing to do with the micro bubbles. I have two tanks with cpr overflow boxes and I have never had an issue. It sound like you have a small whole in your return line.

Try plugging the return line in the tank while the pump is still running. You will be able to find your link. Don't do it for two long becuase it will be hard on the pump.
Old 05/28/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

What kind of flow do you have through the sump? how big is the sump?
Old 05/28/2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I originally thought that might be the problem. However, although more than I want, the amt of bubbles isn't that much to be the return line. I did a double check and its dry as a bone.

You can see in the sump that the cause of the bubble is from the drainage pipe. Air is being sucked down the overflow and dumping into the sump and making a ton of bubbles.
Old 05/28/2006, 04:01 PM
HAS ANYONE SEEN MY ZOOS?

Put a sponge in the sump before the return pump so it will catch all the bubbles. Also you could make a bubble trap around the drain pipe to help.
Old 05/28/2006, 04:07 PM
mmmmmm Fish

You can make a bubble tower-- a subdivided section of your sump-- holes in the bottom for water to get out and a bunch of live rock rubble inside it-- see the vid from Melevs reef site..

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/trapped_bubbles.wmv

You can make one cheaply out of 4" diameter PVC if want...

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 05/28/2006, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Setting up a micron bag to trap the bubbles would help. Another solution is to slow down the return water pump or use a smaller return pump.
Old 05/28/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

slowing down the flow through the sump will help. I have 6 baffles in my sump and drains into a filter sock and I still get microbubbles cause the pump is too strong. HTH
Old 05/28/2006, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiziksgeek
What kind of flow do you have through the sump? how big is the sump?
Old 05/28/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I am currently using a 15gallon aquarium as a sump. Flow rate is somewhere between 450-500gph.

Thanks all. I think I will try to fabricate a bubble tower as mentioned.
Old 05/30/2006, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

i had the same problem but i put a filter pad in it to stop the bubbles but you may not have that luxury
Old 05/31/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

also, you have 4 inches of water so the water hits down on the shallow depth and makes alot more bubbles, you could raise the water level so that the bubbles candisperse, if not you will have to engineer something

sponges for aquarium use and cotton/poly pads go a long way