Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Frogfish,Angler compatible with grouper?

Hello
Would a four or five inch angler work with a 6 inch v-tailed grouper in my 55 gallon tank? He would not fit in the groupers mouth.

The reason I ask is the 4 inch niger trigger is really starting to harass the grouper, so we are going to take the niger trigger back to local maintenance store.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

+++TheZombie+++
Old 10/18/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Anglers will attempt to eat any fish it thinks it can fit in its mouth (which stretches) even to the point of over consuming. The grouper will outgrow your tank quickly.

~Steve~
Old 10/18/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Are you sure about this grouper outgrowing a 55 ?? It is a v-tailed grouper small red???

+++TheZombie+++
Old 10/19/2007, 02:13 AM
Hydrophilic

Its cute and small now, but as they mature they can push 12"- large enough to make turning around in a 55 difficult, and bit enough to eat a lot of tankmates, including smaller anglers. For the time being, you may be alright with some kind of frogfish in there with him, just keep an eye on things. Anglers/Frogs will attack remarkably large prey relative to their own body size. You would also need to make sure that the angler was getting enough food, since the grouper will be a much more aggressive feeder.

I really wouldnt suggest the combination- I think it will be more hassle than its worth, but thats up to you.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 10/19/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I was unaware that the v-tailed grew to 12 inches. I really like that fish(the grouper). My intentions are to aquire a 90 gal. because of the footprint, when the funds are available or an awesome deal comes along.
What would a good tankmate be for the grouper in a mixed reef?

Thanks
+++TheZombie+++
Old 10/19/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

You mean a tank mate for the future 90g? I'm not really sure you could keep any tank mates in that size tank. An eel, possibly, if your filtration is good enough. A yellow tang, maybe. Or even also possibly a harlequin tusk. Your options are very limited with such a big predator in a 4 foot tank.