Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

To paint or not to paint

I am working on my new 90 gallon tank and was going to paint the back glass black. I was wondering what others have done with their tanks and how the painting went. I was going to use can spray paint. Is this best or is there another way someone would recommnd.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Definitely paint the back...unless you're going to have it been seen from all sides of the tank. If you do paint...go with Krylon Fusion. You can get it at Wal-Mart for under $5 a can.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:49 PM
Master of Funk

I applied limo black window tint to mine. I feel it was eaier and there were no fumes or overspray to deal with.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
I applied limo black window tint to mine. I feel it was eaier and there were no fumes or overspray to deal with.
i pick it up this week and i really don't like the look, but i did picked up the one that sticks with static. I am saving it for a QT tank. Are you able to pass a strong cleaning magnetic over the limo tint that goes on without static?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:06 PM
Master of Funk

I used the adhesive kind, I think it looks great.

I have never used a mag cleaner on the back of my tanks (not enough room) so I dont know how it would work. My guess is that it would be ok because the film is designed to take a beating in a car with the windows going up and down all the time.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I went with a very dark blue, looks black though...Wish i would have gone with a light blue....
Old 12/07/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jar05g
Definitely paint the back...unless you're going to have it been seen from all sides of the tank. If you do paint...go with Krylon Fusion. You can get it at Wal-Mart for under $5 a can.
+1

This is what I did, turned out really well and was very easy.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

+2 for the Krylon.

Painting the back of a tank is a great way to hide equipment and wires while also giving the corals and fish something to contract too. Bright colors against a black background is just.....*drools*.

Also a lighter blue is just as pleasing.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

I did this to an old tank. just get regular old FLAT black paint and spray the back. make sure you put on several coats. even though it may look finished, light will still pass through in some areas--so go heavy on the coats. when you're done, it's gonna look flat black when you're looking from the back side, but it will look glossy from the inside as if it came that way. i wouldn't do tint, personally.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

You can paint it with no problems but if your not sure you can go to a sign shop or decal store and have them cut you a black piece of sticker material to fit you back glass i did it on my old nano and it worked great! It was real cheap to.
~Richard
Old 12/07/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

use painted plexi on the back
that way can remove it change color if choose to... and most importantly see behind the rocks if need to (aquarium is also kept out from wall 12-13")
Old 12/07/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

poppin_fresh if you really made it to the end of 2 girls 1 cup i kinda feel bad for you lol !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/07/2007, 10:38 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I painted the back of my corner tank with a roller and black oil-based paint. It is very durable and holds up to algae magnets and other objects rubbing against it.

Old 12/07/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Painted plexiglass

I also decided to size a piece of plexiglass and painted it flat black. Adhered it with rubber cement place in spots that were behind the filter and the like. Looks great and is not permanent.
Old 12/07/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

when painting the tank lay it flat so u dont get drips and do lots of coats cuz u dont want to be able to see through it
Old 12/07/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

depending on the size of the tank i personally wouldnt lay it on its side
Old 12/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I painted mine upright as shown in the picture. Oil paint is usually quite thick. I agree with the advice to apply multiple coats.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I've had both unpainted and now own a painted.
I wish it had been painted in black.. but its not my paint job.

With the unpainted tank, I liked to use a dark purple with white print throw behind it. LOVED that look, made it look-Hawaiian. I don't like the open back look.