Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/30/2007, 06:42 AM
Team RC Member

Critique my 75 gal refugium-DSB combi plan

Hi Folks,

Here is a sketch of my plans:

Basically, its a 48"x18"x20" tank, drilled in one end as shown. There would be 5 or 6" of aragonite sand in the bottom. Using 1" PVC pipework, I will construction a frame and use eggcrate to form a platform. On this I will put a couple of peices of base rock, and pieces of "dead" LR, and attached various species of macro algae and 24 hour lighting, with T5's or similar.

I would be looking at putting 400-500 gals/hour through it (this could be turned down if necessary) via a double srpay bar - half to deliver water over the DSB - direction flow parallel to the sand bed...... and half directnig water into the LR / Macro.

The water entering / leaving the refugium will be to / from my main sump. The water entering will have been prefiltered through a filter sock, then skimmed through a Deltec turbo 1060S skimmer, before being pumped to the refugium. Upon draining back to the sump, it will pass through a bubble trap before entering the return chanmber and being returned to the display.

Does this design look like a good plan? Thoughts would be aprpeciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt
Old 08/02/2007, 08:23 AM
Team RC Member

Anyone got any opinions?

Matt
Old 08/02/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

looks good! just make sure to put a siphon break on the spray bar near the surface of the water, so it doesn't back flow significantly in the event of a power outtage. Great concept keeping the live rock off the DSB!

What's green and fuzzy, has 4 legs, and if it fell out of a tree it could kill you?

A pool table.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.
Old 08/02/2007, 09:32 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Yes, it is a good plan. I am glad you chose a large surface area for your DSB. They just aren't effective in smaller areas.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:22 PM
Team RC Member

Well I wanted to have a decent sized DSB. Even at this size, it is only about 40% the footprint of the display, so I wanted to maximise the exposed surface area, and I wanted to make sure the water was flowing well over it.

Yes, a syphon break will be at water level. The system is in a shed, so the trickling sound is not a problem

I wanted to also provide a decent enviromnet for critters etc and to allow maximum migration between rock and sand, without actually compromising either (sand blocking up rock / rock covering sand). Expereince has also shown me that macro grows better attached to rocks, rather than just left floating around or anchored to sand...... it allows for much more aggressive harvesting, resulting in a more dense, thicker mat of macro...... regularly pruning it back to just a few inches long. If left to float "free" or just mud only I have found it bushes out near the top, and blocks light o the bottom, causing it to get very thin..... then when you crop it, you end up pulling half of out, and are left with thin pale threads, rather than lush green growth..... just my observation.

Thanks for the comments.... any more?

Matt
Old 08/06/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Might want to try a stockman or CJ standpipe. I have a feeling your drain is going to be making some gurgling noises. How far is it traveling to the sump?
Old 08/06/2007, 04:45 PM
Money Spender

You dont really want to skim refugium water, it takes and removes most of the good stuff it provides. If you can, try skimming before. Also, if your going to do a DSB, make it a DSB! (8''+)