Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you buy online livestock?
Yes 8 53.33%
No 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/30/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

E-stork babies poll

ok reefers, here's a question.... do your babies come from the e-stork delivery system....

how many of yous order living things online and get em snail mail sent?

i was like looking online and there's like so many online retailers selling coral, fish, and other livestock online. is this like normal? becuz when i went to the local fish store, i asked the dude like how long will these fishies live cuz it like might take me awhile to get home and the dude was like maybe a couple hours in these bags. so now i'm like thinkin well, if i ordered somethin online, wouldn't they be like dead by the time i pick em up or what?

i mean seriously, you read all this stuff on reef central about getting all your conditions right and lighting and skimming and chemistry and blah blah but then these fish and coral and stuff can live the like 3-5 days in a little bag being sent in a plane with no lights, no heater, no protein skimmer, no clean up crew, now food, no water changes, etc. etc.?

but then i was thinkin, like how do they get to the fish store from the ocean? they must get mailed there somehow right? i dunno. now i've confused myself! lol.

xoxompty
Old 11/30/2007, 01:11 PM
Send money....

I've bought fish and snails from LiveAquaria, corals from guys selling them here on RC in the livestock selling forum. Haven't had any DOA's yet *knocks on wood*.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Snail, crabs, other hearty crusty's in a bag for 2-3 days maybe, but fish, no way. Every live delivery I've ever received was overnight with heat pack/cool packs, extra air, ect. as needed. I've only received 1 dead delivery and that was UPS's fault(lost item) for what ever reason.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:17 PM
Team RC Member

Fish can like live alot longer than a couple hours in a baggie, like no problem on that at all. I've ordered like many fish and corals online over the past like 3 years or so and havn't had a DOA yet either. Did have one DOA (clownfish) from the LFS, died before i got home with it, but never from an online dealer.

Consider this, a LFS will like have to get the fish ordered and in, then like it stresses more from the one move, only to be like moved again to your tank. Ordering online can cut out the extra transfer. not to say, like, don't shop locally, but both are just as reliable , like IMO.

LIKE!

Cheers and sorry for pokin' fun at ya!

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 11/30/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

The LFS don't like dealing with saltwater items, thats why you got the answer you did.
I've ordered many fish online. Almost every time went just fine. Just make sure to order from someone that is highly known and reputable.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like dont use like as like every other like word!!!!!!!! lol just kidding ( not really though)
Old 12/08/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vin7250
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like dont use like as like every other like word!!!!!!!! lol just kidding ( not really though)
um. sorry.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
Fish can like live alot longer than a couple hours in a baggie, like no problem on that at all. I've ordered like many fish and corals online over the past like 3 years or so and havn't had a DOA yet either. Did have one DOA (clownfish) from the LFS, died before i got home with it, but never from an online dealer.

Consider this, a LFS will like have to get the fish ordered and in, then like it stresses more from the one move, only to be like moved again to your tank. Ordering online can cut out the extra transfer. not to say, like, don't shop locally, but both are just as reliable , like IMO.

LIKE!

Cheers and sorry for pokin' fun at ya!
*is embarassed now*
Old 12/08/2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Fish can live days in a bag, especially if it is packed with Oxygen instead of regular air. Definately go with a reputable place this time of year. You want to shop somewhere where they have lots of experience shipping up north.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:35 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Re: E-stork babies poll

Quote:
Originally posted by mpty
becuz when i went to the local fish store, i asked the dude like how long will these fishies live cuz it like might take me awhile to get home and the dude was like maybe a couple hours inthese bags.

How are those fish transported to the LFS? Is there a wholesaler less than two hours away from them? Ridiculous.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

mpty, You are a riot!!! I love to read your posts. I wish you would pm me every time you do. By the way, what ever became of your Red Balloon? lol
Old 12/08/2007, 01:56 PM
Friend to Vallonia

Well, how long do you think the flight is from Fiji, Philippines, Red Sea, etc.?

Many people order online every day. Most good online retailers guarantee live arrival. Don't you think they'd lose a lot of money if nothing ever arrived alive? No one would order if only one in 10 fish arrived alive.

It's true that if you buy stuff from the LFS you should go straight home, if possible. If you're buying fish during weather extremes, it's a good idea to put the bags in a cooler for the trip home. If you have a long drive from the store, make sure they don't bag more than one fish to a bag, and ask them to put them in larger bags.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

My LFS orders direct fromthe Philippiens to Ireland and It can take 19hours. They lose alot or don't lose many. The main killer is oxygen depravation.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

The longest fish can leave in a bag is 48 hours and that is pushing it. When LFS and even us order them they starve the fish before sending out that way they wont polute the little bit of water that it arrives in. (That 48 hours is coming from a distributor not just you going to the LFS and thinking you can keep it in a bag that long)Most LFS around here wont even put pure oxygen in the bags all they do is catch the air in a bag. As for do I order online I wont because I like to see what I am paying for before I buy.