Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Anyone have a Sequence snapper for sale?

I finally finished plumbing the frag system in the garage and realized the sequence superdart is wayy to much flow. It works fine when ball valved down most of the way but I don't think it's good for the pump so I want to down size.

Just wondering if anyone has a sequence snapper for sale or trade.

Thanks

-Matthew
Old 01/09/2008, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Matt, I will be happy to take the pump back
Old 01/09/2008, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

i may be interested in the pump as i am looking to get a barracuda pump. where can i find some specs on the superdart?
Old 01/09/2008, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

I don't think there is any specs published, but it is 4200gph
Old 01/09/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

do you know how many watts or amps it pulls?
Old 01/09/2008, 08:51 AM
In over my head!

The "superdart" is a 4200SEQ12 with saltwater seals. It's rated for 4200gph at 0 head, and 180watts. I use one on my tank as well, and I believe I've measured it at around 160w in my setup. Used as a return pump, it pushes 2000-2400gph with my 1.5" plumbing.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

I really don't want to get rid of the pump but since reflows website doesn't say the dart will last longer with less watts used if ball valved down like the snapper, it leaves me thinking I should change it out sooner then later.

I am having a little plumbing problem which I am about to post up about it which may change my mind on the pump.

Carlosngloria I will let you know after I solve this plumbing issue if I am going to sell it.

I will let you know also Rogger, Thanks!

-Matthew
Old 01/09/2008, 04:12 PM
tiger eel

i got one how old is u pump?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cubano2480
i got one how old is u pump?
The pump I bought from Rogger who only used it for 6 months on his closed loop. I have only used it for about 48 hours and it seems like wayyy to much flow, if you look at my plumbing help thread, I have all the ball valves almost closed.

Thanks

-Matthew
Old 01/09/2008, 05:06 PM
tiger eel

I got bout one from ebay new I my be interested in a trade thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks if you could let me know soon because i just brought home my 210
Old 01/09/2008, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

It will not harm the Dart to be choked back and will consume less energy in doing so. I run two of them and have a third as a spare.

Chris, from Reeflo is also a local guy. I had a problem with one of mine and he personally came to my place to exchange it.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfragger101
It will not harm the Dart to be choked back and will consume less energy in doing so. I run two of them and have a third as a spare.

Chris, from Reeflo is also a local guy. I had a problem with one of mine and he personally came to my place to exchange it.
Oh this is news to me. I thought only a few pump models were able to be chocked back and actually consume less watts and last longer. If thats the case then I will keep it.

Thanks for the help.

-Matthew
Old 01/10/2008, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

It was Paul from Ocean's Motions that originally told me this. I bought two darts from him. So my Darts actually got shipped from Canada and then one of them was locally replaced because Chris (Reeflo owner) is in the area quite frequently. I "believe" that I verified that with Chris as well because the one I use as a return has never been wide open. That was over a year ago and sometimes my mind fades me.

Call Reeflo and double check.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Found a diagram.

I could be wrong but I'm "assuming" that choking a pump back to create back pressure is about the same as the added back pressure from plumbing height (which is really what the diagram shows).
Old 01/10/2008, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

The instructions on mine specified to only restrict on the intake.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Now that statement is a bit misleading. Yes, you can restrict the inlet safely because the pump comes with a 2.0" inlet and a 1.5" outlet. You can safely reduce (restrict) the inlet to 1.5" because it won't effect the flow. You wouldn't want to reduce(restrict) the inlet any more than that however. That would definitely be bad for the pump.