Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2006, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

help with live rock

I set up a 20g long tank in my house to store some l/r that I have, I have a 14w t-5 light over it 2 power heads and an emperor 400 filter on it. I have the light on for only 6hrs a day. No matter what i do I can't stop the green algea from trying to take over , my lfs told me to turn the filter of and keep the power heads on and treat the tank with algea fix, but that seems to make no differance either any suggestion and I'd be grateful Thanx Dave e
Old 11/29/2006, 03:45 PM
Professor of COOL

lolll gotta love that advice. Turn the filter off. hahahahahhahahah

Anyways, the problem is that the rocks which are new are having some die off because they went from one system, to yours with some air in between. Most people these days don't put their rocks directly in the tank, they "cook" them first - meaning they keep the rocks in a dark container (with skimmer and filter) for a few months and on a daily or weekly basis, swish the rocks around in buckets of sea water to dislodge all the crap that is now causing you algae.

Since your tank is new, you should look into doing that - it's not too late. Otherwise, you can shoot powerheads against the rocks to dislodge and then do a water change. Then repeat this process as often as possible (ideally every couple of days). Eventually you will find the problem will lessen then go away. But it will take a while.
Old 11/29/2006, 03:46 PM
Professor of COOL

btw, dont treat the tank with ANYTHING - all of those things are snake oil and could just kill off the valuable life that is on the rocks.
Old 11/29/2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I did cook the rocks in a cooler with 2 power heads and 2 air stones for about 2 months doing water changes at least 2 times a wk but know filter. the l/r was out of water for about 4 months so when I put it in the tank, by the way theres nothing else in the tank with the l/r, I was advised to put some pieces of new cured l/r in the tank with them. Now I am trying to do water changes 2 times a wk atleast
Old 11/29/2006, 04:06 PM
Professor of COOL

you can try that. Is this truly green algae or is it cyano or dinos? Cyano or dinos would indicate that the tank is just going through it's phases and regular water changes and good filtration and flow alone will eventually help. If it's green hair algae, you could look to some sort of natural predator (snails, sea hares) to deal with the problem over the short term while continuing water changes and improving flow over the longer term.
Old 11/29/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Could be hi temp. Try to range 75-79. I have a 20 long too, in my garage. JD
Old 11/29/2006, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I would make sure there is no direct sunlight hitting the tank.
Old 11/29/2006, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

The temp is 78 but as to the sunlight its near a window that gets the morning sun but the blinds are never open so I was hoping thats not the problem, as far as weather its gr een algea it is its not cyano or dinos . thanx for all the help
Old 11/29/2006, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

I did cook the rocks in a cooler with 2 power heads and 2 air stones for about 2 months doing water changes at least 2 times a wk but know filter. the l/r was out of water for about 4 months so when I put it in the tank, by the way theres nothing else in the tank with the l/r, I was advised to put some pieces of new cured l/r in the tank with them. Now I am trying to do water changes 2 times a wk atleast
Old 11/29/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

what is your water source for changes?
Old 11/29/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

r/o s/w form lfs
Old 11/29/2006, 06:57 PM
Moved On

Sounds like you are going to need to cook these again. Probably all the stuff that died when you took them out of water. These rocks are probably loaded with phosphates. Your best bet is to seed them with some fresh rock and do the dunk/swish thing in buckets of clean saltwater and keep them in the dark. You should already know the procedure having already done it once.

Min. time for cooking, w/ weekly dunking/swishing and water changes, is around 6 weeks. Preferably 8+weeks or until there is no shedding at all from rocks and water in swish buckets is crystal clear after.