Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Pyramidal Snails

Is it possible to have these without having a clam? I used to have a Deresa clam but I had the snails before I bought the clam and now that i don't have the clam I still spot the little white, cone shaped snails usually on my live rock. What could they be eating if there's no clam to feed on?
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
2 Hydor Koralia Model 1's
Old 12/05/2006, 04:39 PM
Professor of COOL

I had a few that came in on some zoos. Seems that they will attack zoos as well. I noticed one night that one was puncturing one of my zoo polyps, and removed it from the tank. I had a feeling it was a bad guy, and learned shortly after that my suspisions were correct.
Old 12/05/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Zoanthids, Parazoanthids, palythoa.

or am I thinking of a different snail ??

Brian
Old 12/05/2006, 05:48 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Different snail. Pyramid snails only feed on mollusks and annelids. If you're finding them elsewhere in the tank other than their prey then they're probably rissoids or some other small snails rather than pyramids.
Old 12/05/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Will the ones on snails also live on clams or are are they a different species?
My snails do not seem any the worse for the infestation, but I hesitate to get a clam.
Old 12/05/2006, 10:39 PM
Soul of a Sailor

It's possible and some people in the hobby report it happening, but prey specificity for the species showing up in the hobby isn't well documented in the primary literature.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

so if these guys are on my live rock are they not pyramidal snails? I thought pyramidal snails stayed on the sand bed? These are the same snails that I did see on my clam when I had one but I sucked them out as soon as i saw one and my clam was happy and healthy. What could they be feeding on now if the clam they were hanging around is gone?
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
2 Hydor Koralia Model 1's
Old 12/06/2006, 10:29 AM
Soul of a Sailor

If they're primarily on the rock and sand then it's possible but unlikely that they are pyramids. They generally spend most of their time on their prey. If there is no clam in the tank then they would have to be either feeding on worms or snails. If you don't find them on either then that's another good indication that you aren't seeing pyrams. Of course if you could catch one and look at the embryonic whorl at the very tip of its shell that would solve the question right away. On pyramids the first whorl is layed down perpendicular to the rest of the whorls. If the spiral is uniform all the way to the very tip of the shell it's not a pyramid.
Old 12/08/2006, 08:25 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
If they're primarily on the rock and sand then it's possible but unlikely that they are pyramids. They generally spend most of their time on their prey. If there is no clam in the tank then they would have to be either feeding on worms or snails. If you don't find them on either then that's another good indication that you aren't seeing pyrams. Of course if you could catch one and look at the embryonic whorl at the very tip of its shell that would solve the question right away. On pyramids the first whorl is layed down perpendicular to the rest of the whorls. If the spiral is uniform all the way to the very tip of the shell it's not a pyramid.
I think I will pull one of the small white snails we have in our 75g out and examine them for this. Can post a pic as well when I do. I've worried they were pyramid snails but we've had a healthy maxima in the tank 2+ years. Monthly inspections never show any on the clam. What other snails resemble pyramid snails?

TIA

-Sonja
Old 12/08/2006, 09:26 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Rissoids are probably the most common group confused with pyrams, but there are hundreds of snails that could be mistaken.

Here is a good article showing the difference between rissoids and pyrams. It also shows how the protoconch of the pyrams is rotated.
http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/...lid_snails.php
Old 12/08/2006, 09:47 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Thanks, that's a great article. I feel more confident I'll be able to tell what they are when I track one down. There aren't a whole lot of them, I've seen maybe half a dozen at once scattered over the LR before the tank lights come on in the morning.

-Sonja