Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2006, 12:02 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

ID stinging creature please (pic included)

OK, I'm stumped. It's basically a long white string of a tentacle, with little white dots attached, with the dots becoming more dense in number towards the tip. It can elongate or contract. I first noticed one because some of my zoas were closed. Upon careful inspection, I saw one of these things in between the polyps. A flashlight after lights out turned up many of these things throughout the tank. I see no other body parts or pieces. I'm assuming it stings since my zoas were closing. Any ideas?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/05/2006, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

It looks like a Digitate Hydroid to me, but not an expert. Not sure what its on but I would use Kalk paste on it now before it can spread. Does it only come out at night, does it retract into a tube.
Old 12/05/2006, 08:37 AM

It just gets shorter during the day, doesn't "wave around" as much. I've got several

Any known natural cures?

Old 12/05/2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTen
It looks like a Digitate Hydroid to me, but not an expert. Not sure what its on but I would use Kalk paste on it now before it can spread. Does it only come out at night, does it retract into a tube.
Ugh! You're right Here's a pic from Melev's site:

Now what? Kalk paste? What a PITA....

Old 12/05/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

I would try and use the paste as soon as you can. Make sure you cover the tube. If the area is clean you may be able to glue over them. I have heard that Keyhole Limpets eat hydroids but I dont think they eat this type. Just try and act fast. If they are only on one rock can you pull it? Also I believe they like nutrient rich water, so I would watch whats going into the tank to help stop the spread while your kalking them.
Old 12/05/2006, 02:31 PM
Will work for coral

yup.. digitate hydroid.
Old 12/05/2006, 02:47 PM
Professor of COOL

I seem to have a ton of these but they don't appear to bother any of my corals or fish. What are the negatives to these?
Old 12/05/2006, 02:59 PM

I've only seen it make some zoas close up and shrink their skirts. Not sure how they affect other corals. I assume zoas are stronger than SPS, for example, so I worry about my SPS...

Old 12/05/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I have heard they also sting fish. I remember reading they are a big problem in SeaHorse tanks.
Old 12/05/2006, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I've heard peppermint shrimp will eat them, however I bought a peppermint from the LFS, and have had it for 2-3 weeks, and I don't think it has eaten any.

I also got a skimmer about a week ago, I feel like I don't see as many now, but probably just my imagination, I'm going to go another few weeks and then see if I have any. I pick them off with tweezers. They do sting my SPS and other corals, not good.

JG
Old 12/06/2006, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

The skimmer will control them spreading they like dirty water. I would question the shrimp never heard of them eating hydroids. Also remember there are several type's so when asking what works make sure you mention what type you have. If you can conrtol them with tweezers great, if you can't get the whole tube cover the opening with some kalk paste. Good luck, sounds like your doing better then I did when fighting them.