Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2006, 02:49 PM
Reefer Maniac

Ocean Currents vs. Sea-Swirls

Which of these wavemaking devices do you think is better? Which do (or have) you had? Pro's and con's of each please, ...
Old 11/29/2006, 03:52 PM
Professor of COOL

I am interested as well...
Old 11/29/2006, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

I have a 1" sea swirl and it works great. Lots of surface agitation but you'll need some more powerheads if you have a deep tank.

Mine broke about 3 months in and the LFS gave me a loaner while it was being fixed at no cost. I would buy another one.
Old 11/29/2006, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

I love my sea swirls, I have had them for almost two years now with no issues. Great random current. You have to be careful not to bump them when you have your arm in the tank because you can damage the motor. Up until recently they were the only current in the tank, I have about 1000 gph going through two 3/4 inch sea swirls. I will try and post a pic.
Old 11/29/2006, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Here you go

Old 11/29/2006, 08:53 PM
Reefer Maniac

wow, looks great! any word on the ocean-current one? anyone?
Old 11/29/2006, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Another just for fun hope you don't mind.

Old 11/29/2006, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Emster, nice job with your tank. I have had 3 1" sea swirls for a year now with no problems.
Old 11/29/2006, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Hey thanks, I just added one of those nanostreams, you can see it in the pic but I had to send it back because it was not starting up sometimes. I really wanted to put some penductors on the sea swirls and go without the powerheads but with them being so close to the surface they would suck air. Thanks for the compliment skeeter-doc.
Old 11/29/2006, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

2 - 3/4" Sea Swirls here. Have had them for 6 months and love them!

Mark
Old 11/29/2006, 11:52 PM
Reefer Maniac

emster, I would not put any penductors on the sea-swirls, ... it soudns good, but adding them may do more harm than good, voiding warranty issues and what not, just my opinion
Old 11/30/2006, 02:00 PM
Reefer Maniac

bump up
Old 11/30/2006, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm pretty sure that sea swirl says the penductors are okay, but I would check first. Some guys are running them, you just have to extend them down from the surface. You also have to have a pressure rated pump.
Old 01/14/2007, 10:40 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

I just hooked up a 1/2" ocean currents unit I got with a package deal a couple of years ago. I do not know how old it is, but it has been working well for about 2 weeks in my tank.

The ocean currents looks to be well made.

I have no experience with sea swirls, sorry.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 01/14/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

What about wavysea? I have one but it's not hooked up yet!
Old 01/15/2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Who has them in stock???

I used 3 Ocean Current oscillators on my old 90gal before I sold it. The worked great up until about 6 months in and then they need to be taken apart for cleaning. After I cleaned them they were as good as new. Much cheaper then Sea Swirls and nothing to plug in.

I’m starting a new tank and was looking to but 3 more but I can’t find any place to buy them. The last ones I bought were from Marine Depot and they no longer have them.

Anyone know who is selling them??

Jon
Old 01/15/2007, 09:15 AM
Threadkiller

3/4" SeaSwirl here plumbed 1" from the return to it on my 65RR.
That and a closed loop is all I have, no powerheads in the display and when I feed it looks like somebody shook up a snowglobe so I am getting lots of random flow.

jp
Old 01/15/2007, 12:27 PM
68 dead fish and counting

I just broke both my sea-swirls in the last 2 months. They're rather fragile. Prior to that they'd been running for 2 years with no issues, and I liked them very much.

I have to say that I'm disappointed with how easily they broke. The slightest restriction on the motion of the nozzle will break it (the rotation feature, not the nozzle). Believe me, the amount of restriction that I (unintentionally) applied was minimal.
I also suspect that they are causing microbubbles in my tank due to a tiny airhole (leak) that I can't find, but seems traceable to the sea-swirls.

Overall, if you don't mess with them, it's a good product. I just wish they were engineered to be more robust.