Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

JBJ ATO vs Tsunami ATO

Hey guys...
I am getting ready to purchase an ATO system for my tank. I am looking at the JBJ ATO and the Tsunami ATO system. I can get both with a pump for about the same price. The JBJ is obviously a more expensive unit by itself but ordering online vs getting the Tsunami local (local=higher price than online)...they average about the same price. Has anyone here ever used both and have a preference? Which would you choose? I like the fact that the JBJ uses the brackets to hang the float switch. I keep having visions of the suction cups holding the float switch on the Tsunami coming off of the side of my sump when I am on vacation For the Tsunami...I do kinda' like the fact that it is more simple...other than the suction cups....less things (electronics) to malfunction. Also for the JBJ...I like the fact that it automatically shuts of the pump after 3 minutes and 45 seconds in case the float switch malfunctions. So.....after all of this....cast your vote JBJ or Tsunami!

Thanks, Jim
Old 01/10/2008, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Bump to the top for some votes/opinions.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

I have had both. I prefer the jbj because it refills the sump after much less water evap. than the tsunami that I had. This is important to me only because I have a skimmer that is very sensitive to fluctuations in water level. I also found that the tsunami was not as reliable as the jbj, sometimes not refilling even after a couple of inches of evaporation in the sump. There may have been improvements to the tsunami in the 4-5 years since I used them but in my experience with both, the jbj is definetely the better unit.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Did the JBJ ATO you had have the ability to switch off the audible alert without ripping out the speaker? I have heard the newer models have a switch to turn off the alarm. That is the one thing I was not looking forward to with the JBJ....was the aubidle alert going off every so often to refill.

Jim
Old 01/10/2008, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

All of the newer JBJ units have a switch to turn off the speaker. It's no longer necessary to rip off the speaker in order to silence the alarm.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

I just installed my JBJ ATO tonight. Seems to work good so far... Ask me again in the morning
Old 01/10/2008, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

I have the JBJ on my tank and like it. A snail got a hold of the float sensor once and overflowed the tank. I don't like the mounting brackets they give you. If your not using a rimless tank or a nano chamber of some sort, its difficult to keep level.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

I have and have been using the Tsunami for over four years and have never had one problem. The only thing I replaced were the suction cups with a DIY holder made from egg crate. The unit works flawlessly. Sometimes simple is better.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:37 PM
Who dat?

The only experience I have with the JBJ unit is second hand. A friend had one which worked well but failed after a year. I have a number of AT-1s in service and have never had one fail. As has been mentioned they do not offer as precise a level control compared to other units ( more fluctuation) and the suction cup is a weak point. I have always siliconed my suction cups in place and have never had them come off on their own. Recently I've taken to using the ZooMed Mag-Clip holders instead.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the opinions and experiences.

Jim