Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

OT, need Windows XP OS

OK, Christmas has come and gone. We finally joined the new generation and got Ipod's.

The big problem is that when I tried to hook it up to my computer and to iTunes.......a BIG problem occured. It is not compatable with my Windows 2000 pro OS.......it only works with XP or (gasp) vista. The tears from the kids hurt.

Since I have NO desire to go anywhere near Vista, I finally am ready to upgrade to XP Pro.

Does anyone have a copy (preferably not already registered) of XP that they would be willing to sell or trade? I have MH ballasts, corals, ect. Cash works too.

Going rate on Ebay is $120. Just wondering if anyone local can help me out as money is tight post-Christmas (Damn iPods are expensive)

Thanks
Old 12/28/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

i may have one for ya . let me look around moe
Old 12/28/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Ok, you're still around !!!!! lol
Old 12/29/2007, 12:32 AM
SPS Freak

Maybe someone could sell you cheap their key when they upgraded to Vista. The worse case scenario is you call MS up and tell them you reinstalled it on a seperate PC which is legal.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

I have a copy.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
Maybe someone could sell you cheap their key when they upgraded to Vista. The worse case scenario is you call MS up and tell them you reinstalled it on a seperate PC which is legal.
Good idea, except they would be stuck when they realize what a piece of c#@p vista is!!

jsl6v8, you got PM
Old 12/29/2007, 09:32 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Smart move!!! Stay far far away from Vista. Vista never should have seen the writable side of a vinyl disc as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Smart move!!! Stay far far away from Vista. Vista never should have seen the writable side of a vinyl disc as far as I'm concerned.
LOL I am sure it will be a GREAT OS.........in about 6 or 7 years when all the bugs are worked out!!!
Old 12/29/2007, 09:57 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Yeah, they obviously cut out the trial, error, failsafeing and troubleshooting modes of getting it to the public.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I can get XP Prof. threw my school for under $20,I bought one this sem. but if you wait untill Feb. I could get another. Or if you know another college students, they should be able to get the same deal.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:52 AM
Non Premium Member

I ran into the same issue christmas day lol. Luckily, my son is old enough that he has friends with computers with XP lol. It's some real BS that they can't make it compatible with 2000pro. I have had XP, and i'm not going back to it. I am keeping my 2000pro until it explodes lol. I am looking for a way to use the 2000pro with the ipod, so if i find a way, i'll let you know.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:29 PM
SPS Freak

Can you get vista ultimate cheap Jolu through school? I can't seem to find an academic copy.

I don't find Vista a big deal as long as the equipment you are running it with can handle it. I have had no issues running it at all. You just need a good amount of memory since Vista handles memory much different then previous OS's and remove alot of that preinstalled crap that comes with systems. (More of an issue with laptops).
Old 12/29/2007, 01:21 PM
Non Premium Member

Here is a fix i found. It's a program to use besides itunes called xplay. It has a free trial version so you can see if it works before you buy the full version. I haven't used it yet because my son isn't here with his ipod to try it, but the download and install went smooth lol. It's worth a try though, i hate to go back to using xp. I'm kind of used to not having crashes and issues all the time lol. If the link doesn't work, just search google for xplay and go to the mediafour/xplay2 link.
http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/
Old 12/29/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Vista is horrible. I've used it for the past 6 months and went back to XP. There's no reason why any workstation OS should use up 1gig of Ram out of the box. That coupled with an 8 gig winsxs folder, it's plain ole garbage.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

oh and on that note, I have some extra copies of XP laying around. PM me if youre still in need.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:36 PM
Reefneck.

theres another app called anapod that works very good if you have multiple ipods, as itunes likes to only keep one profile.

~Becca
Old 12/29/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I get the stripped down version of Vista, same price. All I heard was bad things when it came out, but I can get one.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:46 PM
Non Premium Member

Ok, i got to test it out, and it works just fine. It actually was easier then the itunes looked.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:59 PM
SPS Freak

If you do some research on Vista, you will see why it utilizes so much RAM. I've been to a few conferences for work (windows connections and HP Forums in Vegas) and you get to see how Vista works and why it really requires high end equipment. RAM is so cheap now adays, I wouldn't even get my mom a PC with less then 2 GB.

Would I deploy it in a enterprise environment? No way. Administration with Vista is a PITA and I don't think it is ready for the workplace. Perhaps when 2008 server is swapped out on my servers at work, then maybe decide. However, I'm thinking of sticking with XP workstations until the next OS. Have you seen the deployment with Vista though? That is freaking sweet. At the last Microsoft conference, they showed that in detail and it really simplifies it without having to consistently build images. Saves alot of times for the techs having to continually update the image.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

WOW, did not mean for this thread to turn into a bashing of Gates' new baby.

Anyway, lots of good ideas. Still want to upgrade though. Few other apps that I want to start running and XP would help.

loosbrew, you got PM.

dugg & cowboy, thanks for the tips, found another link through winamp with a plugin that works. Still like itunes more though.

As long as we are this far OT, I am sooooooo glad the Pats are 16-0, now we can FINALLY quit hearing about the '72 Dolphins.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:10 AM
SPS Freak

Giants definetly "threw" that away. Most of gates stuff suck anyway. I was just pointing out my experience with Vista and what I learned on it. I've been in IT for awhile and it even took me awhile to find some of the stuff they moved. I think if they would do a better job of optimizing it initially, alot of these headaches would be lessened.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGrog

As long as we are this far OT, I am sooooooo glad the Pats are 16-0, now we can FINALLY quit hearing about the '72 Dolphins.
They have to win the Superbowl before they equal the `72 Dolphins.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

two words - bit torrent
Old 01/06/2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

the pirates bay
all the xp you want