Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

AquaC Remora Installed in JBJ28G HQI

I got a used AquaC Remora skimmer today and promptly got to modding it to fit on my JBJ 28G HQI.

I had read somewhere it was possible to fit an AquaC Remora with a Maxi-Jet 1200 in the stock skimmer location but had no instructions. This is what I came up with - I don't think it can be done any other way and still fit. I highly recommend a Dremel if you are going to to this.

The first thing I did was remove the top housing cover. It is just for cosmetic purposes anyway.

The cord takes up some room so I cut out a new relief for the cord.

The intake had me the most concerned. In order to get it to fit I cut off about 1/8 inch or so from the entire intake. Next, I fashioned some standoffs to keep the pump from sucking up against the glass, and took another 1/4 inch or so off.

The stock tubing that came with mine was a little too short so I put a slightly longer piece of tubing on. This gives you enough flex to maneuver the pump around and get it in the chamber.

Once it was in, I turned it on and added a gallon or so of salt water - working great! Here are a few shots of it on the tank.

Old 12/11/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Very nice work!
Old 12/11/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Kool. I have a AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer \ Rio 1400 on my 12g AquaPod. It works great.

Old 01/09/2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Awesome instructions! I just did this mod. I did take a mm or 2 off of the top of the housing where the cover used to snap on. It seems a little easier to get in/maneuver.

Thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdokos
Awesome instructions! I just did this mod. I did take a mm or 2 off of the top of the housing where the cover used to snap on. It seems a little easier to get in/maneuver.

Thanks!
Glad they helped. This skimmer is a pretty good skimmer - now that I have had it running for awhile I can say it works just as good as the stock skimmer if not better and is MUCH quicker and easier to clean. I also love being able to open the lid
Old 01/09/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Why not just use the Remora nano? Or IS that the remora nano?
Old 01/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bursa
Why not just use the Remora nano? Or IS that the remora nano?
Because the Remora Nano is only rated up to 25 gallons (mine is 28 gallons) and I read some reviews that performance on the Remora Nano was sub-par. Also, you never want to use a skimmer under-rated or even close to the high end of the range - doesn't make sense for obvious reasons. The regular Remora on the other hand is rated for 20 - 75 gallons and I read many reviews of it stating it worked very well. Ultimately, the reason I went with it is favorable reviews and some guys post somewhere that said he made it fit - that was all I needed, well, that and my Dremel.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Is it still skimming well after lengthening the hose between the pump and skimmer? I cut my hose and barb fitting shorter in order to get it to skim better.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swamprat
Is it still skimming well after lengthening the hose between the pump and skimmer? I cut my hose and barb fitting shorter in order to get it to skim better.
Yes, it is skimming great.