Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 11:30 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
Anyone know where I can get some muriatic acid? I tried HD and a spa store.
Canadian Tire has it in Winnipeg in with the paint supplies. Home Depot didn't have any last time I checked, but I have seen it there in the past.

Tyler
Old 12/31/2007, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgunn
Canadian Tire has it in Winnipeg in with the paint supplies. Home Depot didn't have any last time I checked, but I have seen it there in the past.

Tyler
Rona had it in the paint section too.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
Nice job, your fishtank has come a long way and now it looks awesome. I really like that dark cave you have on the left, it looks really natural and nice.
Thanks Gabe, I hope to get some better pics up in the next few weeks.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Well, that only took about 4 hours! Read the entire thread, and have to put in my congrats on an extremely well executed plan leading to a great looking tank! I'm just starting the planning on my 120G, and have picked up so many tips from everyone. I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions for you in the near future!

If you were choosing your equipment again (specifically the kalk/Ca reactor, skimmer, and flow setup) what would you now choose after all of your experiences?

nj
Old 01/01/2008, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

I picked up a potters wrass at a boxing day sale after diving on the 26th. I had to go out of town later in the day, when I returned a few days later it's nowhere to be found. I check to see if it jumped but don't think it did, there is only so many places it could of gone. It's possible it is hiding behind the rock wall, if it is it's doing a good job as I have been looking tor days. I don't think it could of gotten into the overflows but I guess it's possible.

Anyway it's most likely gone, time will tell I guess. Too bad it was a awesome looking fish.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

That sucks!

I just came over here to check out the differences between the 06, 07, and 08 photos...I got confused....again!
Old 01/01/2008, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

I try to keep the day to day stuff in this RC thread and the more significant updates on the Canreef thread , like equipment upgrades and monthly (or when ever I get around to it ) FTS's. I guess I didn't do a very good job on updating the lighting change. I'm just too lazy to update them both all the time. I have a hard enough time updating this one.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Meh! I enjoy both, I just get confused sometimes when I try to remember where I saw something, or on whose tank journal. I like that you update rather frequently.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:19 AM
Premium Member

I drilled my tank that is going to be my new sump yesterday. I got the bit on ebay for about $15 shipped. It's a 75 mm that fit a 2" bulkhead perfectly.

It was quite easy to do, I was a bit surprised. True to form I researched how to use it after I cut the test piece. So I turned the drill to low and used very little force and it worked out fine. There is a bit of scratching from trying to get the bit started, but hey it's a sump.

Test piece

A shot from underneath, about half way through.

I put a piece of acrylic beside so the camera had something to focus on.

Old 01/02/2008, 02:31 AM
TRC Leader

Nice. When I had to drill a tank recently, I took a styrofoam cup, cut it in half to use the upper section like a collar, and used putty to secure the collar to the tank.

I filled it up with water, and drilled the hole. The water stayed in the collar for the entire cut, making it very easy to keep it wet.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Look'n good Bill. Hey not sure if you have your bulkhead yet but I have a couple of the low profile ones you can have.

J
Old 01/02/2008, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Hey Bill
I have been following this thread because I am in the pre stages of a 120 build.
Tha bit you bought on Ebay are they the ones from Hong Kong?
Thanks
Jason
Old 01/02/2008, 02:38 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
I picked up a potters wrass at a boxing day sale after diving on the 26th. I had to go out of town later in the day, when I returned a few days later it's nowhere to be found. I check to see if it jumped but don't think it did, there is only so many places it could of gone. It's possible it is hiding behind the rock wall, if it is it's doing a good job as I have been looking tor days. I don't think it could of gotten into the overflows but I guess it's possible.

Anyway it's most likely gone, time will tell I guess. Too bad it was a awesome looking fish.
The wrasse may still be fine. Leopard wrasses regularly disappear into the sand for several days to a week before emerging when placed into a new environment. Give it more time before losing hope. I bet you'll see it in a few days with one of your feedings.

Mike
Old 01/02/2008, 03:26 PM
Hopelessly undecided

The styrofoam cup idea sounds neat. When I drill glass, I tilt my drill just a little so that only a small part of the bit touches the glass. This way it's easier to hold still, and when a groove is started it acts as a guide for the bit so you can level it off and continue on straight.

One thing to remember to back off on the drill speed and the pressure just as you're about to punch through to the other side. The more gentle you can go at that point, the less it will chip out. Some chipping is almost inevitable but it's still better to try to avoid it because it seems to me if the glass is going to break - it's most likely to break at this point in the process.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Nice. When I had to drill a tank recently, I took a styrofoam cup, cut it in half to use the upper section like a collar, and used putty to secure the collar to the tank.

I filled it up with water, and drilled the hole. The water stayed in the collar for the entire cut, making it very easy to keep it wet.
Sounds like it would work good, i'll try it next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason McK
Look'n good Bill. Hey not sure if you have your bulkhead yet but I have a couple of the low profile ones you can have.

J
I sent you a email.

Quote:
Originally posted by the tiler
Hey Bill
I have been following this thread because I am in the pre stages of a 120 build.
Tha bit you bought on Ebay are they the ones from Hong Kong?
Thanks
Jason
Leave a link to the build thread if you do one, it was from HK but I bought it from a co. in Australia that ships from direct from HK.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
The wrasse may still be fine. Leopard wrasses regularly disappear into the sand for several days to a week before emerging when placed into a new environment. Give it more time before losing hope. I bet you'll see it in a few days with one of your feedings.

Mike
Thats good to hear I hope it is hiding, Thanks Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by delphinus
One thing to remember to back off on the drill speed and the pressure just as you're about to punch through to the other side. The more gentle you can go at that point, the less it will chip out. Some chipping is almost inevitable but it's still better to try to avoid it because it seems to me if the glass is going to break - it's most likely to break at this point in the process.
Good info Tony, that's what I found when I did some research between the test piece and the tank, worked way batter.