Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

MACNA XIX dvds?

Hello PMAS!

First, I wanted to say thank you for putting together such a great MACNA. It was my first and I am already looking forward to ATL.

I was so engrossed by the trade show that I missed some of the speakers I had wanted to see. Will there be DVDs of the presentations avialable at some point?

Just hoping to see some of the speakers I missed, even if only digitally.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09/20/2007, 06:52 AM
Professional Aquarist

We did tape the presentations so that the club could have an archive of the event and volunteer staff could see what they missed while working, but we did not originally intend to sell them. Although, because of the number of people that have inquired, we may have to revisit this topic. But, there are multiple problems with video sales. First of all, they don't generate very much revenue. Many, many clubs have been stuck with a lot of leftover, unpurchased tapes and DVD's and when they are sold, you only make a few bucks on each one. So, the risk versus reward is not very good.

Additionally, I would hate to do something that would affect attendee sales. There is a faction that argues, why would anyone come to the show if they can later buy the video for less than it would cost to attend. We even considered trying to upload the video to be given away for free on the internet, but discounted it largely on the idea that it would hurt future shows.

And finally, you should have to get permission from the speakers in the form of a release. Now, I have been taped numerous times and have seen those tapes sold, but no one ever asked me for my permission to do so. If I wanted to push the issue, I believe I would have a case. But, it is more than the legal issues. It is a matter of being polite to your speakers. They take a lot of time away from work and family to attend and while they are compensated modestly, I would not want to take advantage of them either.

I will surely bring this up at our next board meeting, but I am unsure of what the decision would be and where I stand on the issue.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 09/20/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Steven,

Thank you for the response. I look forward to hearing what direction the PMAS board takes regarding this subject.

I understand the concern over affecting attendee sales. Perhaps only permit sales to those who were in attendance? This may help to ensure continued attendance, and reduce the potential number of leftover tapes/DVDs. Another option could be to only sell the presentations by pre-sale, due with registration. This way a club could only produce what they needed to.

Again, thank you for the response and I look forward to the decision made. If nothing more, I will know I need to do a better job of managing my time in ATL.

Thanks Again!
-Scott.
Old 09/20/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

We'd consider a set at WAMAS if the cost is right.

Had a great time by the way. Great job.
Old 09/20/2007, 04:41 PM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by S_JGreene
I understand the concern over affecting attendee sales. Perhaps only permit sales to those who were in attendance? This may help to ensure continued attendance, and reduce the potential number of leftover tapes/DVDs.
That is a very good idea.

Old 09/22/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

I am kinda in the same boat spent so much time in the trade show I missed some speakers I had wanted to see. As an attenee I would also be interested in a set of they become available. Possibilly a one time preorder before the run so you know how many sets to do. The nice thing about the DVD's is that with so much information that is diseminated in such a short period of time at the conference, one's brain tends to go into overload havings the DVD's one can go back and review the information in a more relaxed time frame. After all one of the stated purposes of a MACNA is to further advance and educate the hobbiests. Regards John
Old 09/23/2007, 06:34 AM
SPS Captial of PA

I would be willing to prepay for my copy! I would also be willing to pay shipping or pick it up when its ready!

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 09/23/2007, 02:35 PM
niiiiiiice car

I would also LOVE copy because I was unable to go to MACNA this year, and I really wanted to see what some speakers had to say.

I hope everyones hobby is going well and I miss the meetings! The summer research was awesome and hopefully you will see the results in the future

Kelly
Old 09/23/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see it also I paid to go and family issuesw prevented my attendance and would love to see what i missed
Old 09/26/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Pro
That is a very good idea.
Yes, it is. I spent most of my time in the trade show and would be interested in DVDs.
Old 10/06/2007, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

I was looking forward to a copy as at one point on saturday there were two speakers happening at the same time and I had to choose, would love to have a copy to see the speaker I missed.

Also my husband was nice enough to say I could go while he stayed home with the little ones, I know he would appreciate being able to see what I came home talking about.

After seeing other MACNA dvds sold, I just assumed they all were and now am a little upset that they might not be. I am more apt to buy one because I was there, not because I missed it.

Robin
Old 10/25/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Steven,

I was just wondering if there had been any type of discussion or decision on this from the PMAS Board.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10/25/2007, 08:43 AM
Professional Aquarist

We have discussed it and are looking at prices, minimum orders, etc.

Old 10/25/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Sound good. I'll wait to hear what you all decide.

Thanks again.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Steven et al.,

Just thought I'd check on the status of this to see if there has been any progress or decisions made.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12/18/2007, 03:05 PM
Professional Aquarist

I just got the first copy of the presentations, but have not had time to look at them yet. I plan to watch them over the holidays to see how they turned out.

Old 12/18/2007, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Hey Steve,

Let me know how they turned out. I only watched the first couple of minutes of each one to make sure there was audio and video. I still have the master tapes if I need to recreate one of them.

--Ray