Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Niagara Reef Society (NRS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Quitting Hobby

HI,

Well I am going to call it quits, this time for good - promised the wife. The first time was 3 years ago and was due to financial reasons - company downsizing eliminated my position. This time is because I have sadly just lost interest in the hobby and am traveling way too much to maintain and enjoy it anymore. I am interested in selling locally - I dont feel like or have the time or boxes necessary to pack up and ship out everything, and squabbling over shipping costs is a royal pain. Of course the livestock must go first, they are beautiful and very healthy. Once they are gone I will then start to take down the tank and disconnect the piping/treatment system end. I have listed all the major equipment below and my price - I think the prices are very reasonable considering the age and quality of the equipment. Please dont send me annoying low-ball offers, I will not respond back. This is not a fire sale and I am in no hurry or need to off load everything yesterday. All of my equipment is in excellent condition both operationally and cosmetically. Any of you who bought stuff from me the last time can attest to my maintaining my equipment and taking pride in my tank. I will try and post photos of the main equipment/tank/livestock tomorrow.

Thanks

Here goes:

LIVESTOCK
Emporer Angel 5" almost completely changed over to adult pattern $100
Mystery Wrasse 3.5" $100
Mated Pair Clarkii Clowns $75
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone 5" $75
Blue Jaw Trigger (Male) 5" $70
Watanabe Angel (Female) 2.5" $50
Cleaner Shrimp Pair 2" $35
Purple Tang 3" $65
75 lbs+ Live Rock - Fiji Pukani 7 indivdual pieces $170

Livestock is very healthy, eating well (Trigger, Watanabe, female clown and Emporer eating out of hand)

EQUIPMENT
90-Gal OCEANIC RR Bowfront Aquarium w/Deluxe Upscale OCEANIC hardwood cabinet (Cherry Finish) w/glass tops (Paid $1600 for the tank, deluxe stand and glass lids) $750

BLUELINE VELOCITY Titanium Aquarium Water Pumps T-3 (3) $85 each

48" GIESEMANN 230 T5 Eco Plus Light Fixture with ballasts 2-150 MH, 2-T5, Black, hanging kit with spare MH and T5 bulbs. $600

ECOTECH VorTech pumps w/wireless controllers $360 each

ECOTECH VorTech Battery Backup $100

DELTEC AP600 Skimmer $510

DELTEC KM500 Kalkwasser Stirrer $379

DELTEC FR509 Fluidized Reactor w/ IWAKI WP-IKMD10R pump $210

TRADEWIND Chiller 1/4hp In-Line $525

AQUA UV 25-watt Sterilizer $150

MY REEF CREATIONS Reef Sump w/refugium 36"x18"x18" 3/8" thick cast acrylic $299

KENT MAXXIMA Hi-S 60-GPD 4-Stage RO/DI Unit w/Dual in-line TDS Meter, Aquatec 6800 Booster pump, pressure auto shut off and transformer, new spare carbon filters (2) and sediment filters (6)$250

BETA DR-2000 Peristaltic Pump (Professional/Industrial quality)$120

PINPOINT Salinity Monitor $55

NEPTUNE AquaController Jr w/pH Probe, Temp Sensor, DC4HD & DC8 $360

AQUAMEDIC Biotherm Temp Controller w/500watt Titanium Heater $60

AQUAMEDIC Biotherm 500watt Titanium Heater (new) (2) $25 each

AQUAMEDIC Biotherm 500watt Titanium Heater $10

CHEMTAINER Poly Tank 50-gal w/lid and 2-1" bulkhead fittings & KENT top-off valve - salt mixing $80

CHEMTAINER Poly Tank 25-gal w/lid & KENT auto top-off valve - freshwater make up $60

CARIBSEA Aragonite Substrate - Special Grade Sea Floor Sand 40-lbs (new sealed bag) $20

INSTANT OCEAN Salt - 160 gallon mix Pails (new) (2) $20 each

ELOS Test Kits Set (Ca, KH, NH3/NH4, NO2 & NO3) One test performed from each kit $50 set

ROWA Kalkwasser Powder 1000ml (new) $22

ROWA Kalkwasser Powder 500ml (new) (3) $17 each

HAYWARD True Union Ball Valves (7) Threaded ends $12 each

BLUE WHITE Industries In-line Rotometer/Flow Meter (Model F-451) 0-40 GPM 1" Threaded Unions $35

MAGNAVORE 4ER Extended reach cleaning magnet for glass tanks $40

Less than 1-year in operation - Tank started January this year. Lots of miscellaneous parts/piping/plumbing, etc…that I will show for offers to people who come over to pick up fish/equipment
Old 11/24/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Will you ship?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Downloaded photos of my stuff up for sale to photobucket - aqualab. Havent figured out how to upload to this webpage due to size limit.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11/25/2007, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

how old is vortech pumps? & will you ship? neptune jr?
Old 11/25/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

idareefer - everything is less than a year old. One of the vortechs is 8-mo, the other maybe 5-mo. The Neptune controller is a year old, the DC4HD is 8 or 9 mo. I can ship the Neptune and Vortechs.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

did you like the vortechs? I have a friend who uses them, after about 10 mo he had to replace the bearings in his, expensive! what are your honest impressions?
Old 11/25/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

The bearings should have been under warranty I would think? I liked them - I had Tunze before these, also very good - but I chose the Vortechs instead, liked the idea of not having any electrical devices or heat sorces in the water. The new wireless controllers with the different mode options makes a big difference operational wise.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

WOW! You were into this hobby big time. Sorry to here you are getting out of it. You'll be back someday. Best of luck!