Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Reef Fish Suggestions?

I am looking for some advice on the last fish to add to my tank. I have a 120g (4x2x2ft) and the current inhabitants are: Kole tang, ocellaris clown, citron clown goby, yellowtail damsel, bangaii cardinal, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and variuos snails.

I want fish that are going to spend time swimming in the water column. I only feed once a day (so I think this rules out any anthias). My dream fish is a Powder Blue tang but I am afraid it will bully the Kole tang. Is this likely and if so any other suggestions?
Old 12/17/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Some nice reef safe fairy wrass like a Scotts fairy wrasse or other colorful fairy wrasse. You could also try to pair up your clown by getting one much smaller that will stay male. I have read that when they are without a mate for a length of time that they turn female, and once they go female they cannot change back to a male. Read that they all start out as males when they are very small. Lesley
Old 12/17/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

If you get a fairy wrasse, Scott's is relatively aggressive. Also, fairy wrasses jump. Be sure your tank is covered, and I do NOT mean with eggcrate.

~Steve~
Old 12/17/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I think Anthias, wrasse (fairy's), gobies, and clowns are some of the best reef community fish. I've tried tangs and a lot of popular fish out there and it's always a battle with the fish being territorial or ick prone.

I feed my Anthias twice a day morning/night and they do fine.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

Is your yellow tail not aggresive towards the others?
Old 12/18/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is your yellow tail not aggresive towards the others?
.......No the yellowtail is the smallest fish in the tank and I haven't seen it bother any of the other fish.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:15 PM
10 & Over Club

I have a fairy flame wrasse that has not tried to jump as far as I know (yet) and is very peaceful to others (tank is covered, however). It swims around a lot and is very colorful. A fairy wrasse or a flasher wrasse might do you just fine. Also, perhaps some firefish or pseudochromis. Oh, and some of my sarco frags :-)

Dan
Old 12/20/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Lyretail Anthias

I have a male and female Lyretail anthias and I feed frozen food once a day. They have been in the tank for a year now and they are doing really well. I feed mysis, spirulina enriched brine and daphnia.

They are great fish and are always out front swimming with the other fish. The male chases the female on occasion, you know, to keep her in line.

I actually feed flake food twice a day with an automatic feeder and suprisingly they even eat that. It did take them a while to start eating the flake.