Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Orange Linkia Starfish - Dissapeared

I have/had a BRIGHT orange linkia starfish about the size of my palm in my tank. I haven't seen him in about 3 - 4 weeks...

I checked everywhere (overflow, show tank, sump, behind rocks with a mirror) and he's nowhere to be found. he's too big and bright to miss...

Does anyone have any ideas????

couldn't have been eated: tankinhabitants are 2 clowns, 1 small yellow tang, 1 lyretail anthias, 1 seagrass wrasse, snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 small orange marble sea star...
Old 01/06/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is possible...but could he have buried himself in the substrate?
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

I think when stars die they kind of disinegrate. It probably just died, linkias don't usually survive long in a home aquarium.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

highly doubt it. too big and not enough substrate behind rocks. infront.... i would have seen him...

idont htink these guys burrow either
Old 01/07/2008, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

They disintegrate? Unless they are tiny rubble-sized chunks not sure this is a possibility...

But thanks for the info. I guess I'll just assume a death. My ammonias were at 0.5ppm so maybe there is a rotting carcass in there somewhere.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

They usually disintigrate within a couple of weeks. don't know of anyone able to keep them longer, although i have heard of the rare occasion where they last longer, but VERY rare.

[Originally posted by nrike
"that has to be one of the ugliest tanks i seen in my life. but nice effort"]
Old 01/07/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

I think the key is lots of rock and stable conditions. I've had mine for about a year now. About 6 months in a 75 gallon and another 6 in my new 180 gallon. It appears to have done well. I did go bare bottom in this new tank so if something in the sand was feeding it I hope it can find food in the rock. But all and all still going strong. Not much help here but though I would share my experience

Andrew
Old 01/07/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

They usually live either 1 month or up to one year in our tanks.

1 month is what happens from poor acclimation

6-10 months is starvation.

How long did you have him? When they die they disintegrate over the course of a week or so. Less time if you have a big clean up crew.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:02 PM
Bucket Reefer

A half dozen good sized bristle worms could make that linkia disappear almost overnight.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

I agree with both ninjamini and aquabucket - I have kept a different species of linckia - L.Multiflora - for 2 or 3 years without problem. They are easy to care for as no special feeding is required, but they do need to be acclimated CAREFULLY, or they die easily IME.
Two possibilities - a) The linckia died, and disintegrated (yes they turn into kind of a powdery mess and dissappear fairly quickly if you have a decent clean-up crew.) or b) The linckia has squeezed itself into a crevice in your rockwork, and you just haven't found him - I once had a linckia almost 4 inches across squeeze itself into an opening in a rock no bigger than a penny!
I wish you luck, maybe he's still with you!