Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2004, 06:08 PM
Propping Monster

Quick... change the subject before it gets nasty in here.

Acans ppl!

lets see em!
Old 10/29/2004, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Feeding time:

Old 10/29/2004, 06:36 PM
Moved On

Looking good bro!
Old 10/29/2004, 06:41 PM
Moved On

BTW about the Anthony thing. I agree if a vendor purposefully mis id's a coral for sake of personal gain, I disagree 100%. However I do not find wrong in anything Anthony did. Personally when I look at them, it gives me an accurate description that they inflate like acans. I have seen him say many many times in the past that his favias, or favites "Inflate just like blastos". Well since blastos have never made waves like acans, no one accused him then of it being fraudulent advertising. Why not? I see what you guys are saying, but I don't think he meant to subliminally message fro some one to buy his favias, I mean, um, they are called favias, if someone buys them as acans, that seems to be their error right?

Blast me now =).
Old 10/29/2004, 06:48 PM
Moved On

Here is a miss ID probably for personal gain, this is Dr.Mac, he is usally pretty good at ID'ing corals, and he is calling this acanthastrea enchinata. I could be wrong and it could be an honsest mistake, but I mean, um, I think most can tell its clearly not.

Old 10/29/2004, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Well said, Chris...Besides, regardless of intentional or unintentional mis-ads, these incidences technically remind reef hobbysts to spend more time to learn and understand what they are buying so that they can fully appreciate and enjoy unique characteristics of these corals...I feel sorry for those who just blindly throw out their money to buy stuffs just because of its "names"...
Old 10/29/2004, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Is that a favia? If it is that is one crazy one!
Old 10/29/2004, 07:40 PM
Moved On

Thanks Louis! You are right, ppl need to be properly educated!

Yeah favia, it is pretty neat!
Old 10/29/2004, 07:52 PM
Propping Monster

who cares what Dr. Mac called it. it's hella dope.

as for anthony. what he is doing is wrong. not illegal... just morally wrong. he's using the name to make some cash. don't front like you can't see that. just cause it's legal doesn't make it right. now, raising all of your prices and posting a new lower price and calling it a sale price... that is illegal. i forgot what it's called... only 1 sem outta BUS 101.. i should remember. too bad i sold that book.

BTW... nice frags Baja. nice work on the recovering & farming after they went through so much hell before they got to you. don't forget to keep a nice sized piece for yourself.
Old 10/29/2004, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

OK...Back to da LORD pics...Here is a pic of a LORD piece that is sitting on the left side of my 100G crowded tank...Farther down is an Acan Unknown frag with large size mouths (close to a quarter size)...It is an Acan species as confirmed with its partial skeleton structure of a polyp badly beaten up by an Echino or Acan Rotundoflora (as called by the LFS even though I still suspect its ID)...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...Bowerbanki.jpg
Old 10/29/2004, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Old 10/29/2004, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Yep, 1 frag of each is offlimits and I am going to see how big I can get them in a year. All of the frags are just one large polyp right now but some do have baby polyps.

I am also seeing how long it will take for a chip about the size of a // to grow into a polyp.
Old 10/29/2004, 09:16 PM
Got that Anger!

het marlon you get to fraggin yet
???????????????????????????????????
Old 10/29/2004, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

I will make one last comment on this thread and i will leave..i am not bashing at you in any means brahm..and you talked about $10..I will never gauge you for measily $10..anyways..that is money and if i do owe you that..you should of let me know and i would take care of it in a second..

As for my online description..I totally understand what you guys are saying.. however..there are so many species of Acanthastreas sp. that are close related to Favias, and Favites, I only mark the ones that will truly swell up and open up like acans lords with that extra description..and others i will simply mark as favite..etc. I simply put them as descriptions and not Id them as Acans..and most of all..I do price them as Favias or FAvites and will never gauge on them as acan prices... If that offended anyone..I am sorry..but the bottomline is ..this is my business and i will do whatever that i want..and if you are not buying from me..i am not bitter or concerned in anyways..this is a hobby and lets all just have fun doing it..here is another reason i don't visit this forum as much as before..too many people have their own opinion and i respect that..peace all and happy reefin
Old 10/29/2004, 09:25 PM
Propping Monster

jus did... some not all the way through though. they're pretty ****ed off. the green one was as hard as a rock! you're reddish grey looks OK, i went all the way through w/ fragging that one.
Old 10/29/2004, 10:11 PM
Moved On

..I have nothing against you anythony. I think your an alright guy. But you whipped out the name calling and it was directed towards me. When I was mearly posting that I thought 450 bucks was an alot of money to spend on a coral thats going rate isn't anywhere close to that....If you can get some pie in the sky price for it.. Hey more power to you..but I like to think I'm up there with the rest of em when it come to dropping stupid amounts of money on corals..and I wouldn't touch that at that price..

but As far as the 10 bucks don't worry about it. It was more a jab I don't really care, but last time I was there the bill came out to 190, we gave you 200 you walked out the room came back..and never gave us our change.. If you had not just called me "jelous" & "Ignorant" I would have never said a thing.

Good luck selling your acan...maybe i'll see you around paf sometime (and out bid you on some acan )

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinyChinaMan
I will make one last comment on this thread and i will leave..i am not bashing at you in any means brahm..and you talked about $10..I will never gauge you for measily $10..anyways..that is money and if i do owe you that..you should of let me know and i would take care of it in a second..

As for my online description..I totally understand what you guys are saying.. however..there are so many species of Acanthastreas sp. that are close related to Favias, and Favites, I only mark the ones that will truly swell up and open up like acans lords with that extra description..and others i will simply mark as favite..etc. I simply put them as descriptions and not Id them as Acans..and most of all..I do price them as Favias or FAvites and will never gauge on them as acan prices... If that offended anyone..I am sorry..but the bottomline is ..this is my business and i will do whatever that i want..and if you are not buying from me..i am not bitter or concerned in anyways..this is a hobby and lets all just have fun doing it..here is another reason i don't visit this forum as much as before..too many people have their own opinion and i respect that..peace all and happy reefin
Old 10/29/2004, 10:17 PM
Got that Anger!

Here is my newest frag, i cant get the camera to show the true colors though this is the brightest red of any of the acan i own
Old 10/29/2004, 10:38 PM
Moved On

er... Liver rock, um..wierd white thingy, plate coral...oH there it is
nice
Old 10/29/2004, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Ah, the wonders of croping and resizing
Old 10/29/2004, 11:12 PM
Got that Anger!

ya i need an image resizer badly sorry bout that
Old 10/29/2004, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

You can get Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition here for free when you download Adobe Reader 6.0.1. I did and it works ok. Haven't used it much, mainly use photoshop 6 on my moms computer.
Old 10/29/2004, 11:42 PM
Moved On

Just save the pic to your desktop right click and click on open with, then click paint. Click Image then stretch/skew. Make sure to adjust them at the sam value 50%/50%, then save. That's all I do

Here is my only frag.

Old 10/29/2004, 11:46 PM
TRC Leader

Good stuff Rob! About time you got to posting a pic.
Old 10/29/2004, 11:50 PM
Moved On

Thanks Amy. I finally found the cord to my camera dock after months of unpacking.
Old 10/29/2004, 11:53 PM
TRC Leader

Well from this point on I'll hound you for all kinds of pictures so watch out.

Ack! That reminds me, I need to take a picture of a lil something for you.