Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Capital District Marine Aquarist Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2004, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Wiring

I have to install 2 computer fans into my nano hood, anyone out there know what i need to plug these into an outlet ?......

Yes, I am impatient
Old 04/30/2004, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

I did the same thing on mine, but i only used one fan. It cools it down plenty - just have to watch the evap rates.

For the transformer, i used an old network hub AC adapter. The fan should list the voltage somewhere on it (mine was on the sticker in the middle, and was, i think was around 7.5 volts and 1000 milliamps). If you can find out what the voltage and amperage requirements are, then you can just root around and see if you have a transformer that matches those requirements (old cell phone charger, etc.). If you can't find one, Radio Shack has ones where you can adjust the voltage.

Just cut the end that you'd plug into your electronic device off and solder/wire nut the ends to the leads on the fan.

You can get creative and wire in potentiometer, or a thermostat, but i just plugged my lights and fan into a power strip that's plugged into a timer. When the lights come on, so does the fan.
Old 04/30/2004, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

nice thanks....what size tank do you have ....i was gonna do 2 but if one is enuff that will be easier

Yes, I am impatient
Old 04/30/2004, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

but if you want to get ghetto you could mount a motherboard and power supply to a canopy lol.
Old 04/30/2004, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I have a 12 gallon nano cube. It actually has two mount points for 60mm computer fans in the hood. I think they were going to include the fans with the tank, but the stock lights don't create enough heat to warrant venting with a fan. I popped in a 32W retro and needed to push some air in there.

Overall, i really like the nano cube. It's stylish and self-contained. While the stock PH is a bit rattly, i replaced mine with a minijet 606 and it works fine.
Old 04/30/2004, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

If you get the Radio Shack computer fans, you can wire them right to an extension cord. The only difference polarity make is the direction that the fan rotates, so you can't do it wrong.

Most other fans are probably the same. However, I recently tried wiring a small computer fan to a DIY halide ballast and the fan sparked and died. I guess it needed a resistor because it was probably getting too much current from being on the same wire as the ballast itself. Who knows, I'm far from an electrition.