Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Good deal, Thanks Matt
Old 12/02/2007, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

I would suggest getting the seed screen also. I never, even though he said he could ship it here. It took me a long time to develop a good turf algae and even then who knows if it was the correct turf algae for filtration.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Even with the seed screen it will take you a good 2 months at least before the entire surface has decent growth of turf algae. When you start harvesting you'll want to avoid pulling off all the algae where it attaches to the device. Think of a mowing a grass lawn, you want a low setting but not all the way down to the dirt.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. Should I go ahead and purchase more than one screen since it is going to take 2 months to cover anyway or just deal with the two months. I don't mind spending the money if it helps. My comments about the $60.00 earlier was before I understood the value of the screens.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Just get one screen. If you are just starting the tank it could take longer if you do not have much nutrient in the tank. One clear advantage of the ATS is it will compensate for overfeeding.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

The tank is right at a year old. Nice Coraline growth. I think I do overfeed though. My nitrates are around 25 would like to see those go to zero or there abouts. My skimmer is probably a little small for the amount of water I have flowing now. I will probably upgrade next month. Ok I will just purchase one screen and go from there. Thanks
Old 12/09/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Well I received my ATS but it arrived broken. The side was cracked as well as the bottom seam was busted where glued. We will see what happens.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

rbc,

That sucks. Hope the seller takes care of problem.

Have you visited a petshop called Mission Pet Mart? They run eco-wheels like I have. I think the guy who owns the rights to the eco-wheels actually helps with maintainance through their store. You might be able to get some turf algae from them? FWIW.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Yes I know exactly who you are speaking of. I have seen that wheel running and it is awesome. They are in the middle of moving the store, so now might not be a good time.

As far as the seller taking care of this, he has put in a claim to UPS and expects me to send it back on Tuesday without having the refund in hand first. Or so that is what it seems now. I don't believe I will send it back without the refund first, since once it is gone from here, I am basically out $330.00 as well as no ATS. I tried getting him to just refund part of my money and I would try and fix it but he didn't want to do that. I basically said if he would refund $200 of the $330.00 we could call it good. I figured that was more than he had in materials as I know there is not more than $100.00 in materials and I thought he would jump at it but I guess I was wrong. My neighbor actually works for UPS so I asked him about it and he said he would be lucky to have the money back by the middle of January due to the Christmas rush. So we will see.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Sheez, thats to bad. Exactly how mine arrived also. I gave up the claims fight after awile. Thats was with the carriers though and not the vendor. I had to make a new box and throw the old one away, it was so broken.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Well he made good. I sent the busted ATS back, kicking and screaming and he refunded my money a week or so later. I could not have asked for anything better than that. If I decide to purchase another one, it will be from him. The design looks good.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Well he made good. I sent the busted ATS back, kicking and screaming and he refunded my money a week or so later. I could not have asked for anything better than that. If I decide to purchase another one, it will be from him. The design looks good.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/28/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

well, good. I'm still thinking of making a modified wheel type one.