Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2004, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Solar Fairies
Scott's Fairies
Temmnick's Fairies
Blue Scaled Fairies
Black-finned fairies
Exquisite Fairies

All these fish tend to lose their colors a bit if they don'y have a harem of females. When I say they lose colors its primarily their beautiful nuptial or courtship colors. Obviously without a mate to court the darker colored fairies (blue's/browns/greens) tend to
fade.

The in-between group - this means they may fade a bit but not alot:

Rhomboid Fairy
Pyle's Fairy
Pink-Margin Fairy
Goldbar fairy
Yellow-flanked fairy

Here are the fish that tend to keep their colors well, regardless of wether or not there is a harem:

Labout's
Flame
Social Fairy
Conde's Fairy
Lineatus Fairy
Yellowfin Fairy
Lubbock's Fairy
Rosy-fin Fairy
Orange Back fairy

(It seems to me that the fish that have the red-orange coloration or the hot pinks & yellows tend to keep their colors better than the blues & greens)

Please note that the fish listed in this post are the only fish I have had experience with or owned.......if a fish is not listed here, wether it be as a color fader or not, then I cannot confirm if they are faders or not.
Old 11/04/2004, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Bronco777. Great and informative post. The pics and posts you've given us in the past inspired me to buy a pair of lineatus wrasses this week. I've got questions about them which I've posted in this forum, but I won't put them here -- wouldn't want to get the thread off-track.

Keith
Old 11/04/2004, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

So Exquisite Fairies they just wont have the bright colors they would bring up when they would be trying to atracted a female? Like the picture you have up do you mean it will dull out or i dont exactly understand what you mean i guess.
Old 11/04/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

HEy my laboutei doesn't have that yellow stripe sbove the eye. I wonder if mine is a female.
Old 11/04/2004, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I was wondering if you know what type of fairy wrasse this is? I could seem to get a good picture of him cause sometimes he will change his color when he/she is looking at his/herself in the side of the tank.Heres one picture

Heres one more:

Old 11/04/2004, 12:46 PM
Moved On

Awesome thread. I purchased my first Fairy wrasse ( carpentars) a couple weeks ago. I have never seen it since it went into the tank

I really love these fish and was planning on mainly having them only in my tank. Now I am skeptical cause of what happened
Old 11/04/2004, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Chris777,

Its hard to tell from the pics. But I would take a guess and say its a female Conde's Fairy looking at the shape and colors. More pictures may help.

However, if its a juvenile fairy it may be undestinguishable until it matures more. Several juvenile fairies are identical when they are young and sometimes hard to recognize.
Old 11/04/2004, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Jus Reefin, what are the other fish in your tank? The same thing happened to me when i got my scotts fairy. I went to a wedding the next weekend and came back and he was gone? I had a purple tang who was rough on new fish and i also had a six line which according to bronco will not react well to any of the fairys.
Old 11/04/2004, 12:54 PM
Moved On

The only other fish are a purple dottyback and mandarian goby. It's a 179g tank. I was really upset cause these fish are not common at my LFS so I had to order it.
Old 11/04/2004, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I think the Dottyback may be the problem. Bronco777 might be able to shed more light on it but i recall him telling me in a PM to stay away from the dottybacks that they will attack them.

"Otherwise outside enemies include: Pseudochromis (except orchids), sixline wrasses, Some Anthias, Carpet anenome's (Notorious wrasse catchers at night)." That is what he posted earlier in the post.
Old 11/04/2004, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

A carpenter is a flasher wrasse. these are similar to fairy wrasses, but they are more passive, and have a higher proclivity to jump.
Old 11/04/2004, 02:12 PM
Moved On

My bad I though the Flasher wrasse were in the "Fairy" family. There is no where for it to jump accept for into the overflow and down the drain. A peppermint took the ride but no fish.............yet
Old 11/04/2004, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Dottybacks are known for attacking fairy and flashers wrasses. Flasher wrasses tend to be alot smaller than fairy wrasses.

If you have a purple or strawberry dottyback, those things are just plain mean to fairies. Now there is one exception.....a orchid dottyback looks just like a strawberry but has a very mild desposition. So mild in fact that you can actually keep more than one in the same tank.....which is something you would never do with say a neon dottyback or strawberry.
Old 11/04/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I have more pictures i just need to edit them so they will upload onto here.
Old 11/04/2004, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Temminck's Fairy Wrasse - aka (Peacock Fairy or Blue-Stripe Fairy)
cirrhilabrus temminckii
Come from: Japan / Malaysia / Indonesia / Western Austrailia
Fairy Size Category: Medium (3.9" as adult)
Colors: HIGHLY VARIABLE - These fish are so widespread and their colors vary quite a bit from sea to sea. Mainly available in the trade are the ones pictured below:
Brown underside, red-orange upper body. Red trim on fins and small blue dots everywhere. Males get a yellow stripe down the length of the body. When they flash their nuptial colors are bets are off....just about any color can be demonstrated.
Availability: Occasional
Here's a picture of one I had with a male Pyle's next to it.

[/IMG]
Old 11/04/2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Bronco7777,

Try going here you should be able to veiw it and make the picture bigger if not let me know.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/soh_sk....net/my_photos
Old 11/04/2004, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Rosy-Fin Fairy Wrasse
cirrhilabrus (undescribed)
Comes from: Coral Sea very deep water
Fairy size category: Small (3.2" as adults)
Colors: Red and Yellow with black and magenta trim on the dorsal. Blue pink and black trim on the tail.
Availability: Rare

These are a young juvenile pair. At this age not much distinguishes one from the other.

[/IMG]

In this picture a rhomboid comes to check out the new additions:
[/IMG]
Old 11/04/2004, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Comes from: Philippines / Flores Seas
Fairy Size Category: Small (3.0" as adult)
Colors: Two types. The most common as pictured below is a metallic combination of purple, orange, yellow, and pink. Females are mostly pick with some yellow trim.
Another type of lubbock's that comes from the Sangihe Islands is a light lavender body color with with two black stripes. The face is purple orange.
Availability: Common

Old 11/04/2004, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Chris,

I can't get in to that Yahoo page. Its login accessible only
Old 11/04/2004, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

ok well that didnt work how i wanted it to. Do you know anywhere i can upload them to so i dont have to edit them it takes forever to do.
Old 11/04/2004, 03:46 PM
Addicted to H2O

This is a wonderful thread! I love fairy wrasses!!

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 11/04/2004, 03:50 PM
Moved On

He was a little smaller then the dotty. It's funny cause the dotty seems like the most shyest,passive fish I have ever owned. Do you think I would be ok if I got 2-3 wrasses at a time???
Old 11/04/2004, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Bronco7777,

You should be able to view the site now i had it set so it was private now it is public so you should be able to look now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/soh_s...l.net/my_photos
Old 11/04/2004, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

How many fairies and what kind of fairies can i put in a 46g bowfront? I can't afford the expensive ones. Thanks. Siders
Old 11/04/2004, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

From what ive looked at most fairy wrasses are cheap in no sense. Cheapest Fairy wrasse i have seen was like $40