Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

niger trigger goes jekyll and hyde

My niger trigger decided he wants to kill everyone. Over the past couple days he has taken a chunk out of my huge hyper-dominant emperor angel, viciously attacked my clown trigger multiple times and has locked jaws with him last night, and has eaten the pelvic fin off of my show size purple tang.

The problem is I can't get him out! I spent several hours this morning chasing him with a net and tossing food in the tank. He is a skiddish anti-social terror. He, unlike every other fish in the tank won't even eat out of my hand. I could easily catch any fish in the tank except him. Any suggestions?

By the way the more he attacks fish the brighter red his teeth become, the tip of them are pinkish but the base of them/ new growth under his lips are bright red. This is definitely new in the past week! He keeps flashing his red teeth at the fish, most likely a display of dominance. He is a gorgeous specimen if only he weren't such a terror. Maybe instead of taking him out I should add a fish to confuse everyone. I haven't messed with the setup in 6 monthes and it isn't overly stocked.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:59 PM
Team RC Member

sorry to hear about your problems with the Niger trigger. mine is sweet right now, but small. I hope he doesn't have the same personality change as he gets bigger. you may need to get some buckets or bins for your rock to catch the culprit, and possibly remove any injured fish to a treatment tank. good luck.

BTW, I don't think I'd add a fish to the mix. if anything, re-aquascape to confuse territories.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

I have heard they can be EVIL when they get Big,you may need to take out Corals or live rock and put them into something to catch EVIL Niger Trigger best of Luck.Chasing Fish really Bites Big Time
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Have you ever tried waiting until night when the lights were off to catch him. If he is sleeping, he may be slower. Just a thought though.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

If he burrows in a piece of LR remove the piece at night instead of trying to catch him.