Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2007, 11:14 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thedude15810
... we lost both rainfordi gobies (they both dissapeared and the brittlestar now lives in their home), and there is some interesting brown fuzz growing on the rocks.
Not so fast, John. Brown fuzz is still there, but I also saw a Rainford goby this morning. It was swimming around at the front of the tank, looking very fat and happy. I think we can consider 1 as lost.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Old 03/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

do you guys really need the deltec calcium reactor and kalk reactor if you are going with just softies?

any plans on an angelfish?
Old 03/06/2007, 12:27 PM
Team RC Member

We're not going with just softies, we plan to have copious SPS so yes, the reactors will be important. We may get a flame angel since I like them so much, but due to the SPS and clams we won't risk putting any other angels in there. Flames aren't risk-free, we know, but with a tank of this size we should be able to get away with it (hopefully!).
Old 03/06/2007, 05:42 PM
clownfish fan

what a giant tank and no clownfish. say it isnt so.
Old 03/06/2007, 06:21 PM
Team RC Member

You've got to be kidding! Do you really think we'd have a reef tank in a children's waiting room without Nemo? We'd never be able to maintain our practice with that kind of disdain for the ocean's most noteworthy and lovable fish . Actually, we're probably going to have 2 pairs of clownfish eventually. I really like true percs, and we're not totally decided on the other pair. We know that clowns tend to fight, but with a large carpet anemone in 1 corner of the tank, and an alternate host at the opposite end, we think we'll be able to get away with it.
Old 03/06/2007, 06:29 PM
clownfish fan

two pairs one at each end one pair occelaris for the nemo lovers one pair Rod onyx becase they are so darn cool looking that would be my suggestion

i would not mix in any clarkiis or tomatoes or maroons they kids want nemo anyway and it would be the least amount of aggression
ok now i think the tank is cool.
Old 03/06/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

man, I'm never going to post a build on RC! I'd NEVER get it right...
Old 03/06/2007, 06:42 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by rppvt
man, I'm never going to post a build on RC! I'd NEVER get it right...
i have never seen something reflect someones personality like the condition of their fishroom
LOL
Old 03/06/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Wonderful project, thankyou for documenting it so well! And of course, the tank is looking outstanding...
Old 03/06/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

What an awesome system! Very nice work and I'm sure it will be enjoyed by all who see it.
One question though: How is anyone in the office supposed to do any work with this killer aquarium to stare at?
Old 03/06/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Two pairs true percs introduced at the same time.
Old 03/07/2007, 02:36 AM
g0t fIsH

why not, just go all out and get a whole school of nemos..that way all the kids will be happy and oh don't forget the doc too...looking good and keep em coming
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/07/2007, 09:36 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
why not, just go all out and get a whole school of nemos..that way all the kids will be happy and oh don't forget the doc too...looking good and keep em coming
because the kids might freak when the School of Nemos starts to kill eacother
Old 03/07/2007, 12:13 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Two pairs true percs introduced at the same time.
Is that your vote, John, or is that your decision (he asks, flexing muscles)? I'm actually okay with that, since I do prefer percs to ocellaris, but it would be nice to have a different species in the tank if possible just to add to the variety.

peaceinusa - Love your username, and great question. I've already tried to move my personal office to the front, as the receptionists now have the best work stations in the entire office, but I don't think it would be cool to have my patients watching me stare at the tank while they're waiting to be put into exam rooms .

GSMguy - True, true.

Thanks again for everyone's compliments.
Old 03/07/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

"I don't think it would be cool to have my patients watching me stare at the tank while they're waiting to be put into exam rooms "
you obviously need a FISH-CAM.
Old 03/07/2007, 12:30 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Is that your vote, John, or is that your decision (he asks, flexing muscles)? I'm actually okay with that, since I do prefer percs to ocellaris, but it would be nice to have a different species in the tank if possible just to add to the variety.
\
i prefer percs as well but the only reason i think ocellaris is that is what nemo was and kids you know

if its two pairs of percs one pair should be ORA picasso and one pair Rods onyx
that might be too cool though.

ok nuf clownfish talk.
sorry for the two page hiijack.
Nick

"I don't think it would be cool to have my patients watching me stare at the tank while they're waiting to be put into exam rooms "
you obviously need a FISH-CAM.

i have a new macbook laptop with the built in webcam and i set it in my living room and do a video conference with my desktop in my office. and i can stare at my fish i am going to hook a low tech camera system from wall mart soon
Old 03/07/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
[B]Is that your vote, John, or is that your decision (he asks, flexing muscles)?
Both hahaha! I think that two different clown species has a greater chance of killing each other in the long term plus I don't really like oscellaris.

Thank you all for the praise!

GSMguy -

I actually don't like the picasso clowns at all. As the breeding has gone on, I think that the picasso clowns look mutated. They're lumpy, have a strange bone structure, and I've never seen a fat one like a normal true percula.
Old 03/07/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

We also got some new fish in today for the tank. I'll watch some of them for awhile and introduce others more quickly. It really depends on the specific fish IMHO as to whether a QT will help or hinder.

For instance, normally I wouldn't QT a flame hawk. This specific flame hawk that came in looks really old and not good. He's got a large lesion of what appears to be a flesh eating bacteria and I don't feel comfortable introducing him anywhere.

Fish in today for this tank:

Female McCoskeri Wrasses (3 came in, one does not look good)
Green Chromis (8 came in, 5 look ok)
Firefish (5)
True Percula Tank-Raised Clownfish (4)
Flame Hawk (again, don't have high hopes for this fish)
Male Blonde Naso (BEAUTIFUL and has the beginnings of streamers)
Divided (Bluestar) Leopard Wrasse (surprise Mike!)

More snails and crabs
Old 03/07/2007, 03:12 PM
g0t fIsH

yeah, just kidding with nemos lol ..how is your QT setup, because i was planning on setting mine up backpack w/refugium, not connecting to my original system, oh good luck on all your new fishes, just love the flame hawk
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/07/2007, 03:19 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Both hahaha! I think that two different clown species has a greater chance of killing each other in the long term plus I don't really like oscellaris.

Thank you all for the praise!

GSMguy -

I actually don't like the picasso clowns at all. As the breeding has gone on, I think that the picasso clowns look mutated. They're lumpy, have a strange bone structure, and I've never seen a fat one like a normal true percula.
that is what i thought till i saw this
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1064940
that clown is not the typical picasso you see also there are the rare wild picasso but whatever you choose they will be happy
Old 03/07/2007, 03:25 PM
clownfish fan

just to point out Marvin at atlantis in Richmond Virginia had an exquisite pair of ORA piccasso around cristmas. they had just as much white as a snowflake and they had exelent fat body shape.

my suspicion is that ORA have had the origional Picasso fish long enough to have a few brother sister pairs spawning now that may be producing that bent gill that makes them look so bad
i think if you get a nice one from the origional pair they are real nice
FWIW
no more hijack i promise
Old 03/07/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

you said that befo'
Old 03/07/2007, 03:56 PM
Team RC Member

Comment all you want, GSMguy, we don't consider it a hijack at all since it is applicable. It's not like you're discussing the best gloves to wear for mogul skiing, although I'd bet you have an opinion for that as well .

Leopard wrasse you say? YES!
I hope you get a nice flame hawk in soon, as you know how much I like that fish. Are the firefish the regular kind, or are they Helfrich's?
Old 03/07/2007, 09:37 PM

I love the leopard wrasse. What a cool looking fish!
Old 03/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Team RC Member

Mogul skiing must require some really long reflectors.

I won't quit my day job.