Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

chromis

I had added 5 chromis to my aquarium. At the start they were feeding. later one of it stoped eating and died,the day i removed it from the aquarium one of the four remaining chromis stoped eating and would hover in one corner and so on. i am left with 2 chromis now and one of it is doing the same?
Old 12/25/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Prob a brand new tank(im assuming) and the ammonia is spiking or something and little chromis's are not as hardy as damsels or larger chromis...IMO little 1-1.5 chromis are not good to try and cycyle a tank with.I would check your water parameters if your are losing chromis and prob do a water change unless teh tank is brand new....less then a month!
Old 12/26/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

my aquarium is about 5 months old
Old 12/26/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

which is relativlley new,but yes should of cycled by now...what other fish to you have in your tank and again...have you checked your parameters>?
Old 12/26/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

This is common with chromis. In small numbers, under 10 , they seem to pick each other off one by one. They can be very agressive among themselves. I would try a larger school. What size tank do you have?
Old 12/26/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I have also found they must be properly acclimated and really do not ship that well. When I purchase them I pay attention to the date of their arrival at my LFS. Give them at least a week to get settled. Just my experience with them, I have 25+ in my tank : )
Old 12/26/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danfrith
This is common with chromis. In small numbers, under 10 , they seem to pick each other off one by one. They can be very agressive among themselves. I would try a larger school. What size tank do you have?
My experience has been the same.
After much research, I have found that tank size and number of fish are the two major factors. Basically, the most dominant fish will keep the weakest from eating. In the larger groups, there are too many subordinates to pick on, so no one fish gets the brunt of the aggression.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

My experience with Green chromis is with stronger flow they show less aggression towards each other. Infact they shoal up in the current.

I guess they spend their energy fighting the current instead of each other.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

my tank size is 48"(l)x20"(b)x24"(h), and i have 1 yellow tang, 1 cinnamon clown, half black angel, and 2 chromis (left).
Old 12/28/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Green Chromis are not as Tough as most Damsels I have experienced the same thing you are going through.I have 12 in a 55 Gallon this seems to be the Magic number for me.Dont over feed and you might need a Water change if you keep losing them.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I bought 5 and only have 2 left. They stick together because my false percs tend to pick on them. I was thinking of getting 3 more....
Being a Mommy - PRICELESS
-Adi

104g 36x24x28
1x400wmh