Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

add Chromis or ?????

ok..was thinking of adding 3 chromis to my tank(150g 6ft)...to spice it up a bit....Would they be alright with these tank mates...2 tangs..a foxface..and a maroon clown..The clown is what im really worried about because he seems very teritoral...Didnt know if the lil guys would be ok or not...Tank has approx. 200lbs of LR ..if not, any other ideas as far as something colorful to spice the tank up(no show fish)....thanks!
Old 12/25/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Yes, Chromis are peaceful fish.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Most aggression will be between themselves, good current helps to curb the aggression and they actually school up in the flow.

I have 7 chromis for almost 2 years but no marroon. I do have 2 YT, 1PT, 2 Hippos, Barletts & Lyretails and a 6" Majestic Angel with no problems.

I would recommend 5 chromis and try to get them the same size. They are known to jump and sometimes fight with each other, so you may end up with 3 anyway.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

sounds good..thanks for the info?..any other little colorful fish to maybe look at?...
Old 12/25/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Have you looked into any angels? I believe it is possible to do two dwarfs in a tank that size from what I have seen here on RC.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/25/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boostd2valve
sounds good..thanks for the info?..any other little colorful fish to maybe look at?...
I would add some Barletts and/or Lyretails. Great colors and fairly hardy. Get one male and the rest females or all females and the butch will turn. Make sure they are eating at the LFS before purchase.
Old 12/25/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

If your gold striped maroon is aggressive and territorial you might want to be careful adding sm chromis and go for the larger sized ones.I had a pair of maroons that would kill all the chromis i put in my tank regardless of size....its a gamble
Old 12/25/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

yeah thats what i was afraid of...
Old 12/26/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Second that on 5 or more. My experience, 3 will end up being 1 in the end. I have about 25 or so in my 180, it looks great a mini school.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

I have a 29 with a maroon, a pygmy angel, a yellow watchman and a chromis. The maroon was last to go in. before that the chromis hid all the time because the angel would pick on him. I put the maroon in and the tank became very peaceful. All fish are out, little picking except that now and then the maroon lets them know who is boss.

I have a 180 with 4 chromis and read you should have 6. Might add two more because I really like the activity of the chromis.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

bettter to keep them in odd numbers like most schooling fish..................
Old 12/26/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Green Chromis are a Good choice I have 12 with my Purple Tang and Fire Clown Fish.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
Most aggression will be between themselves, good current helps to curb the aggression and they actually school up in the flow.

I
I would totally agree that the current does seem to lessen the aggression between them. I have about a 40X turnover rate in my 60 and the 3 chromis I have had for over a year have shown almost no aggression towards one another.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure where I read it but, the statement I read said that they tend to pick on the smallest, or weakest in a school. At one point I had 13, now only 2.

The only thing I had trouble with recently was that I tried to replace those that I lost, and they died over night getting stuck to the power heads I had in the tank. Now, no more regular power heads, now I have Koralias.