Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Solaris Led light's

Right now I am looking at buying a new light, for my tank originally I was looking at 2x250 watt 10,000K MH lamps, 2x96 watt True Actinic 03 Blue PC lamps, but I found this (http://www.solarisled.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx)new Led light and was wondering if anyone had any ideas why I should go for either one.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

They are pricey no doubt... from what i hear the tecnology is not really there yet to make them worth it for cost vs preformance.

You might as well save some money and go with the MH... but if money is not an option then go for it.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

It's not that money is not an option, but in 3 yrs I calculate you are eaven. They claim that the bulbs last 50,000 hrs, we're talking in the range of 8 to 12 yrs. That gives you quite a bit of time to save you some money. There is also some pretty cool features. I am actually most concerned about the evaporation, I do have a DIY auto topoff system. I am not sure how much it will raise the tank temp. Can anyone give me an Idea?
Old 12/23/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

i beleive thats one of the selling points of the solaris is that there is no heat, so it would help with less evaporation.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Heat is what sold me on the Solaris.........it is very expensive but my heat problem is gone and I don't have to worry about replacing bulbs. I did move from MH lighting and have suffered no ill effects as far as the corals and clams go (they are all doing well). There are a new revision of the LEDs out now and apparently are about 30% brighter. I am sure in a year or two the technology will be matured to the point where the other lighting is basically obsolete but for now, if you have the money, you will NOT be dissappointed!
Old 12/23/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

KyleO have you had any issue with light penetration?
Old 12/23/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at new lighting as well, mainly at units that had a MH/PC/Lunar combo, to hang over a 240g (8'x2'x2'). I started by looking at Coralife's 4' hood (2 x 250W HQI, 2 x 96W, 4 x Lunar).

How well would a Solaris fixture perform, for an 8'x2'x2' tank? I see their upcoming I4 supposedly produces light levels equal to a 400W MH 15k.

Granted, my tanks recently got relocated into the unfinished side of my basement (the finished side got turned into a play room), I might need the MH lights to heat the room.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at that fixture myself, and I am on the fence right now. I was told that that I would need alot of topoff water, and cooling fans or a chiller for the metal hallide fixture.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by funstealer
KyleO have you had any issue with light penetration?
None.........although I am told that the light spread in the top 6 inches is not as good..........that is not my experience though.

I have a few Acros about 15-18 inches down that are doing very well and my Clams are at the bottom (30") loving life........pretty good indicator.

I have the Solaris H series which were an upgrade to the G series but recently replaced by the I series which are supposed to be 30% brighter.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was looking at that fixture myself, and I am on the fence right now. I was told that that I would need alot of topoff water, and cooling fans or a chiller for the metal hallide fixture.
That was exactly my experience with the MH's along with having to run my A/C in my house more to cool off the family room. I have nothing against MH's, they are great but put off way too much heat.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Can I ask where you purchased the light? I have been looking at the PFO cite and JL Aquatics. I am planning to call monday to inquire about the avalibility of the "I"series .
Old 12/23/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Can I ask where you purchased the light? I have been looking at the PFO cite and JL Aquatics. I am planning to call monday to inquire about the avalibility of the "I"series .
Absolutely! I highly recommend Dick at The Cultured Reef. He is a good guy and PFO knows him.

He has the best prices I have seen (that is why I bought from him) and does not charge shipping.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/solaris400.htm
Old 12/24/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I'll give him a call.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

i think the price is bad enough for a small solaris, the 72" is total ridiculous. and if you think the price will drop, ya right just like gas prices drop, they only go up.
Old 12/24/2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnavor180
i think the price is bad enough for a small solaris, the 72" is total ridiculous. and if you think the price will drop, ya right just like gas prices drop, they only go up.
As I appreciate your opinion............I have been in the technology industry for about 20 years now. Over that time I have seen prices drop to levels that nobody thought they would. Bigger, better and faster adds up to bigger prices, right? Wrong!!! All it takes is development and competition and the prices will, in fact, drop.

The LED lighting is a new technology and not a consumable. Manufacturers can only charge what the market will bear. The more manufacturers that start developing this technology, the more the hardware costs and manufacturing costs will drop, and then the market prices in turn will drop.

That said, I agree with you that the 72" H4 I purchased was way too expensive. But I had a choice; I could run my chiller and the house A/C to combat the excessive heat the my MH's put out, not to mention the extra electricity the the MH's themselves consume.......or........I can bite the bullet and buy into the new technology that will save untold kilowatts. I chose the latter and am currently saving around $200. per month on my elec. bill.

Even with the extraneous cost of the LED array, I figure the cost of that unit will wash out in about two years (compared to the electricity savings). And the extra added bonus is that I would have had to change my MH bulbs about 3 times in those two years where as my LEDs are still going strong and have another year to go at least!

Since I live in Northern California and pay the second to highest electricity rates in the nation (beaten only by Manhattan), I feel the energy costs more sharply than most.

As I cannot guarantee that the cost of the new LED technology will drop over the next few years........I can guarantee that the price of electricity will continue to increase.

Did you know that there is currently legislation on the table that will effectively outlaw incandescent light bulbs? This bill looks like it will go through. How long after that is in effect do you think it will take the bureaucrats to go after other types of "inefficient" lighting (MH lighting)???

Let's all hope that R&D progresses and LED (and other lighting sources) are developed for our hobby before it is illegal to light our tanks to reef standards!
Old 12/24/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That was exactly my experience with the MH's along with having to run my A/C in my house more to cool off the family room. I have nothing against MH's, they are great but put off way too much heat.
LEDs are terribly inefficient compared to MH. Inefficient = heat. The only way the Solaris would put less heat in your room is if it was making drastically less light (using less wattage). Period.
Old 12/24/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

that is a lie MH are old technology leds are sooo efficient, you obviously no nothing of electronics
Old 12/24/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

You should do a search on the solaris before buying. There is a post that's several pages long explaining why the solaris isn't worth buying in its current form. I strongly urge you to check it out.

You should look into HO T5 setup.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
that is a lie MH are old technology leds are sooo efficient, you obviously no nothing of electronics
I hope that is sarcasm. There are some LEDs in labs that are as efficient as MH but the ones the Solaris uses are around half as efficient.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by backyardspecial
You should do a search on the solaris before buying. There is a post that's several pages long explaining why the solaris isn't worth buying in its current form. I strongly urge you to check it out.
I'll have to look for this thread someday when the search function is working.

I've been looking at these lights off-and-on. There's days where I think "No freaking way" and then there's others where I consider it. I just wish it was a few more generations along. To me the cash outlay isn't so bad knowing that the payoff is there over a few years.

What I find interesting is that you rarely find Solaris owners who aren't pleased with them. Or maybe their wallet just won't let them talk about not liking them...
Old 12/25/2007, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't buy they a LFS has had nothing bad luck out of them they had 4 different light's . if it's not the LED's strips going out (PFO will send you recondition ones) they are locking up and you have to restart them. And theres not that much defence in cost of power. All but one light didn't work, which they sent all of them back and put up the HQI back up. maybe one more year and they will get them right.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

Personally I love my H series Solaris. Everything they did to create the fixture was done right. I do think they have to work out the kinks though. I've had it up and running for 3 months and so far I have 3 day white LED's out.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Take a look at the AquaIllumination units too. I got mine in October and love it. SPS and clams doing great. I wish I had some pictures for you, maybe Santa will be bringing me a camera for christmas
Old 12/25/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frazier
I wouldn't buy they a LFS has had nothing bad luck out of them they had 4 different light's . if it's not the LED's strips going out (PFO will send you recondition ones) they are locking up and you have to restart them. And theres not that much defence in cost of power. All but one light didn't work, which they sent all of them back and put up the HQI back up. maybe one more year and they will get them right.
Do know what series they were having troubles with?
Old 12/25/2007, 11:28 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
Do know what series they were having troubles with?

All of them but the H series more than others.

Go ahead save yourself money, thinking the light you buy today will still work perfectly after the warranty is up....

without a warranty that lasts their supposed lifetime, the manufacture can claim anything they want about longevity, also LEDS do decrease in output over time, and 1 watt of light produces the same amount of heat, doesn't matter if its 1 watt of LED or 1 watt of halide...

There is a ton of misinformation on LEDs out there.