Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Purchasing a Media Reactor - Feedback Appreciated

Hi folks,

I am looking to purchase a media reactor that I can plumb into my existing setup (Something like the GEO or MRC). I would like something that requires little maintenance which can be easily cleaned and doesn't clog like the "phosban reactor's", and one which is user friendly with regards to re-filling the reactor with media (GFO or Carbon). Any suggestions or feedback either positive or negative is appreciated. If you have pics of an existing reactor/setup that would be a bonus.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

^
Old 12/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Generic Member

I use a canister filter to run GAC and GFO. I used the "reactors" before and wasn't crazy about them.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm. I just got a TLF Phosban reactor and I'm very happy with it.
Inexpensive, easy to set up and tune, no problems.

I've been fighting a cyano bloom and saw an almost immediate improvement. YMMV.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

MTC (http://www.marinetechnical.com/) makes a very nice reactor that is built specifically for their Ozone reactor (Pro240) and is called the SR7. It is plumbed with 3/4" fittings and holds a lot of media. If you are looking for the Cadillac of Fluidized filters.........this one is it. But, it is expensive!

Keep in mind that these filters are made for slow flow............plumbing them inline is going to be tricky.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback thus far....

Kyle, there are no prices listed on the SR7.....could you estimate the cost of this unit??

As far as plumbing inline I several options and my entire setup utilizes gatevalves/ballvalves/and unions on on every inlet/outlet...so I should be able to control the flow however approximating the GPH could be tricky.

Thanks again.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:01 PM
Pingy Pingy!

GEO for me (third one is a version of his larger media reactor). I built a small media reactor (second one), or else I would have bought the small GEO as well.

The new models (PhishyBusiness carries a heavy line of GEO) come with thumb screws now I believe, so it's even easier. It normally takes me 5 or so minutes to swap out ROWA or Carbon at max (that's with rinsing in the sink, etc).
Old 12/29/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rpeeples
Thanks for the feedback thus far....

Kyle, there are no prices listed on the SR7.....could you estimate the cost of this unit??

As far as plumbing inline I several options and my entire setup utilizes gatevalves/ballvalves/and unions on on every inlet/outlet...so I should be able to control the flow however approximating the GPH could be tricky.

Thanks again.
I forget how much I paid exactly..........I think it was along the lines of $125. but you will have to call them and ask (East Coast). From the looks of RokieM's post of the Geo reactor, they are very similar.

Worth a look at Geo pricing also.....
Old 12/29/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Eric for posting the pics and link. Exactly what I was looking for...I am going with the 618 Calcium and Media Reactor. Placing the order this evening.

What are you running in reactor 2 above? 3 above? GFO and Carbon?

How are you feeding H20 to the 618 Calcium reactor?

thanks a bunch!!

Ron
Old 12/30/2007, 12:40 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Rowaphos in #2, carbon #2. I'm almost positive the GEO 618 comes with an adapter that's built for a Maxijet feed (nice, reliable, and cheap). I ran mine off of a 1200 for almost a year, until I converted it just recently to a feed from the same pump as my frag tank. That SC80 in the bottom right. The ball valve and flow off the right go to the frag. Up higher and to the left and it splits into 3 ball valves/lines that feed all my reactors (except the kalk of course).