Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

tanks in the basement

im trying to set up a SW tank soon and I was thinking about setting the tank up in my basement on top of the bar. does anyone else have their tanks set up in the basement? (i stay down here most, so i figured i'd put it down here).

the thing is, it gets pretty humid in the summer and i was wondering if it will affect the humidity like crazy or not. i have a dehumidifier but just wanted to get some opinions and experiences.
Old 08/11/2005, 08:56 PM
Hammerhead

My tanks have been in the basement. I think it's a better idea, as my basement stays a constant 65 year around, so it's easy to know what needs ot be done as far as heating goes.

Never had humidity issues, but I do run a room de-humidified.
Old 08/12/2005, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

i have my tank in the basement with no dehumidifier. Havent had a problem in the 2 years or so its been setup. I evaporate about 2.5 gallons a day. To tell you the truth i havent noticed a difference in the humidity (although im sure there is).
Old 08/12/2005, 09:46 PM
R33f3r

i just put my 180 in my basement, works out prefectly because my temp is also constant, no chiller needed. humidity is dealt with by tying my basement into my central air, when the a/c is on it takes out the moisture and when the heat is on, it keeps it nice and dry too. when i turn the fan on it helps to humidify my upstairs.
Old 08/12/2005, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

I asked about this same question a couple days ago with few answers. What type of lighting are you using? I'm not doubting you, I'm just really suprised you can go without a chiller with how hot some of the lighting systems get. I only have PCs and I don't have a chiller but I have to run my window AC every day to keep the temp down. On top of my central air. But at 65 degrees, I guess you wouldn't have to worry.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

I have about 450 gallons in various tanks in my basement. It gets very humid. I bought a 32 pint dehumidified which seems to keep it lower. Of course I have to empty it every 14 hours or so.

My basement also gets to around 80 in the summer from all the lighting. And that is with the central a/c running and keeping the upper floor at around 73. I have been thinking of adding a window a/c unit to help out.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

some people find that their humidity gets too high and that their temps begin to soar in the summer months.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:56 PM
mmmmmm Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by cwbroden
I have about 450 gallons in various tanks in my basement. It gets very humid. I bought a 32 pint dehumidified which seems to keep it lower. Of course I have to empty it every 14 hours or so.

My basement also gets to around 80 in the summer from all the lighting. And that is with the central a/c running and keeping the upper floor at around 73. I have been thinking of adding a window a/c unit to help out.
Can you hook a drain hose to your dehumidifier and run it to a sump or other type of drain in your basement??? Mine goes to a sump-- I haven't emptied it in 7 years.

I'm in the process of setting up a 135 in my semi finished basement-- this tank is going to be maintenance friendly (water mixing and changing anyway)....
Old 08/13/2005, 09:04 AM
R33f3r

Quote:
Originally posted by vessxpress1
I asked about this same question a couple days ago with few answers. What type of lighting are you using? I'm not doubting you, I'm just really suprised you can go without a chiller with how hot some of the lighting systems get. I only have PCs and I don't have a chiller but I have to run my window AC every day to keep the temp down. On top of my central air. But at 65 degrees, I guess you wouldn't have to worry.
I have 3 250 watt MH and 2 160 watt VHO, I actually have trouble keeping my tank temp up, my heaters are on more then I would like. My 75 gallon sump is right on the concrete floor so it cools the water off quite a bit. When filling the tank for the first time, it was 60 degrees before I added my heater. The warmest my basement has gotten has been 72 degrees all summer, with outside temps at 100.
Old 08/13/2005, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

I have a 90 gal set up in my basement, best place for it as far as I am concerned. It is built into a wall with a floor drain right under it and electric and water plumbed into the hood. You can check out the pics. in my gallery to see it.
Old 08/13/2005, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Andro,
That's absolutely incredible to me. Thanks for sharing. I'm really suprised by that with all the lighting you have running but I guess you're right....concrete floors really do stay cold and just having the sump on the floor would be your draining heat all the time. That's great news. Now maybe I won't need to get a chiller eventually. How far under ground is your basement? Does it still have windows or deeper?
Old 08/13/2005, 02:47 PM
R33f3r

it is about 6' below grade, not a walk out, I have one casement window that does not get any direct sunlight.