Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2006, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Does any company sell water collected from reefs?

Do any of you know of a company which sells water collected straight out of reefs? I would image a ton of life in it probly good and bad. but it would be interesting to see if such a product would enchance a home aquarium.
Old 08/02/2006, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

I don't know if it's straight from a reef but petco has boxed saltwater, no mixing needed. I didn't look to see if it was true reef water or just premixed.
Old 08/02/2006, 01:42 AM
T5 Reefer

Catalina Natural Seawater .

It isn't cheap and I doubt there is any life left in it by the time you get it but it is collected right out of the ocean.

The best way to get diversified life in your aquarium is to buy a couple pounds of live sand right from your LFS tanks. Most of the time it is great stuff. I did that in a newer tank and the next day there were feather dusters, amphipods, copepods and all kinds of stuff crawling around.

You could also get a few cups from a local reefer if they are nice enough.

HTH
-- Kevin
Old 08/02/2006, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I think I know what your talking about. My LFS has a water like that as well but i think its synthetic. NOt water directly out of a reef. I would imagine such a product to be truely usefull would require special deliver methods . I am curious about such a product as the variety of life suspened in a collum of water from a natural reef "should" be teaming with a variety of life. Being that it would be shiped 100% hydrated unlike rock which ends up dry makes it quite interesting.
Old 08/02/2006, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

That product has been treated too much I think what im saying is raw reef water shiped express would be interesting to at least see under a microscope and even an experimental tank set up.
Old 08/02/2006, 04:25 AM
Registered Member

Sounds expensive.
Old 08/02/2006, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Hey reef water rocks. I'm fortunate to live near the ocean and collect a drum a week. The debate has been going on for ages in my local reef club as to whether it's good or bad for your tank.

Been using natural water for some time and found that collection points are also important. I try avoid areas near rivers and city beaches.

As to the good or bad... u decide.
Old 08/02/2006, 05:33 AM
Custodial Dad :)

A lot of people say if you are going to get real ocean water that you need to go miles out and many feet down to ensure that it isn't polluted.
Old 08/02/2006, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

I'd imagine it would be hard to get good reef water unless you lived close enough to a reef that it could be delivered relatively quickly.

I use reef water, but the country I live in is tiny compared to the US or most countries, and, being that the water comes from the more southern parts of the country, it delivers in less than a day.

Even though it is available readily in this country, most people here use man-made salt water. Most people don't seem to think it makes a difference. I buy it mostly for the convenience of open and pour. I like to think that my water is clearer than most tanks, but that just may be wishful thinking on my part.
Old 08/02/2006, 06:43 AM
Custodial Dad :)

Well, I will admit I from time to time use the catalina water. It is collected pretty close to (at) the shoreline, but heavily filtered. I honestly think my corals open differently when I use it. I occasionally use 5 gallons for a water change in my 30 gallon reef.

I kind of think of it as a "treat".

David
Old 08/02/2006, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

The water I buy is collected from the reefs near a small island out by the Izu pennisula, which is only accessible by ferry and has few full-time residents. Costs me about $10 for each 20 liter box. Pretty inexpensive compared to the stuff from the reefs near the more tropical islands, which run closer to $40 for each 20 liter box. Much more expensive than mixing it yourself, I will confess. But I'm a horrible klutz and would rather save myself the inevitable clean-up.

One thing I do admit is that my tank seemed to cycle very fast due to all the local natural water, live sand and live rock. Most of my livestock is also domestically caught, so I assume they like the reef water more than the shabby salt water that this klutz would be mixing herself.
Old 08/02/2006, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

While living in Guam I collected sand, rocks, and water right from the beach or right out on the reef fringe... and I had a few interesting things grow. Had a couple of damsels, stars and other inverts just show up. If you collect the water close to the beach the mineral content is higher... and if you get it away from any industrial areas then there shouldn't be many polutants.
Old 08/02/2006, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

I have been using NSW for my nano since I started it. I either collect it myself or buy it from my LFS if I cannot collect it. I collect it at high tide out past the breaking waves and not after a heavy rain. Never had any pollution problems. Even if there is minor pollution in the water the carbon I run would pick it up. Lots of people caution against NSW, but those are the people that have not tried it for themselves. I have had the best results while using the NSW. Everything opens up nice and big and I really do not have to worry about phosphates anymore and mixing salt and RO water. There is still life in the water after sitting and beign filtered. Sometimes after a couple days after a water change I notice free floating small shrimp in the tank. The times I saw them I did not have any shrimp in the tank to reproduce. After seeing it a couple times I realized it was after a water change with the NSW that was causing these shrimp to show up. I recommend NSW to anyone, but I can understand the apprehensions........I had them myself until I tried it.
Old 08/02/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Catalina water isn't from a tropical ocean reef. It comes from the ocean in CA and from what I hear its collected near/in Long Beach harbor (dirty dirty stuff). Fish and Game gives out pamphlet telling people not to eat certain fish in the area. They then put it through extensive filtration including UV. From observation most people who use it in softy tanks do real well especially with xenias.
Old 08/02/2006, 11:36 AM
Keeper of Tangs

its best just to use the water you mix at home. georiga aquarium uses instant ocean for all their tanks.
Old 08/02/2006, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

The Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific uses Catalina Water.
Old 08/02/2006, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

I go out about 3-4 miles, and collect 30 gallons of NSW. I take it home, add a little chlorine, and let it sit for 3-4 days, running carbon thru it and keeping it aerated. Then I do my water changes with it. My tank seems to be doing fine. No noticable difference b/w using that or mixing my water. Except the difference in my pocket book.