Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2006, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

I feel your pain. I just moved from Melbourne, FL. Hurricanes tend to make reef keeping a little trickier.
Old 07/27/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I hear ya, but at least it doesn't snow here! I grew up in Indiana -- loved the snow as a kid, hate the cold now! Thankfully, here in Jacksonville we don't get it as bad as down south. Now that I said that, I hope I don't jinx things!
Old 07/27/2006, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

WOW, looks great so far
Old 07/31/2006, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

More pictures please : )
Old 07/31/2006, 02:38 AM
Chillin'

Just take 2 weeks vacation and finish things up

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 07/31/2006, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChinChek787
Just take 2 weeks vacation and finish things up
Don't I wish!! Lot's of stuff going on at the home front, but I have started laying out the acrylic. All the major (raw) cuts were already done, I just need to clean up the edges and get all the edge pieces down to their final size -- which I've finally started!

With any luck, I should have some pictures by the end of the week of how the tank build is progressing!
Old 07/31/2006, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Excellent work! I love the laminent flooring idea. That will make cleaning up spills a cinch. I'm going to rip off that idea if you don't mind
Old 07/31/2006, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Don't mind at all! It seemed to me to be the easiest way to seal the bottom.
Old 08/02/2006, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Well, I hit a delay in starting the acrylic work for the tank. I was checking the acrylic and getting ready to clean the edges using my table saw stand and the attached router table.

But, as I was getting my acrylic pieces set up and setting up my table, I started getting nervous about cleaning the edges on acrylic that was this thick, heavy and long like I had with thinner, lighter and shorter pieces.

Given that this is going to be a display tank holding 300+ gallons (and that the acrylic isn't cheap), I decided not to take any chances. So, I bought a jointer.

Damn, I hate that I had to buy another power tool!

It should be here next week, then I can start the acrylic work. Until then I'll refine the design on the sump and work on wait (not so) patiently
Old 08/02/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

haha well that stinks that you have to wait a week or so but at least you will be more comfortable about it being OK.. i did something similar, i was going to buy a 75 gallon tank and drill it myself but then i decided just to buy one pre-drilled.. i was afraid to drill even though i heard it was a simple task.. they are somewhat similar i guess, i just thought id share!! i think you made the right choice!
Old 08/02/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I definitely think that you need to go with your gut on most decisions.
Old 08/02/2006, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

I agree 100% on the gut feeling... but still... i want more pics man!

Jasen :-D

"Girls only want boyfreinds with great skills!"
Old 08/02/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Ya keep us up to date on the progress. I'm going to be doing this soon as well.
Old 08/03/2006, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefez
Excellent work! I love the laminent flooring idea. That will make cleaning up spills a cinch. I'm going to rip off that idea if you don't mind
This idea was cheaper than what I did. I have had so many spills and I like to work messy (not worry about drips etc) that I ended up building a 6 inch high fiberglass trough into the bottom of my stand. It's water tight and will hold around 18 gallons. Since then I have overflowed my sump already once. - That's another story - but was very glad that I have a waterproof base under there.

The vinyl flooring is very nice and likely lots cheaper and easier. Not sure if it would hold water, but would make cleaning up small spills a snap.
Old 08/03/2006, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasen Hicks
I agree 100% on the gut feeling... but still... i want more pics man!

Jasen :-D
LOL...I'd love to post more pics, because that would mean I've been able to work on it! Dang, doesn't my boss know that I should be working on my tank instead of at work! What's up with him!!!

BTW, what do you do when your gut says go for a 1,000 gallon tank but your wallet says 250???

CoolUsername
The vinyl flooring is glued down (silicone) and I've sealed all the edges (with silicone), so it should hold water up to the lip of the 2x4 bottom frame. But, I think I'll wait to actually test that!
Old 08/03/2006, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Living in Guam I had to deal with Typhoons... Wife didn't like it much when she had to start the generator for the tank instead of the fridge or lights.
Old 08/03/2006, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

LOL..I hear ya there. We run the tank and the fridge of the same generator -- after all, gotta keep the beer cold!
Old 08/03/2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Generators are for the Tank and the Window A/C units to keep the tank cool and you need to drink Crown and water (Ice is free) instead of beer.
Old 08/03/2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bri Guy
I love that power center you made!!!

Just shows you that some of our reefers are Chemists, woodworkers, electrictions, plastic workers, and im sure other crazy trades that come with the territory. Reef on!
wastewater treatment plant designers/ integration.

you should see the UV sterilizers we have at work.

great work btw, and quick at that.
Old 08/03/2006, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The vinyl flooring is glued down (silicone) and I've sealed all the edges (with silicone), so it should hold water up to the lip of the 2x4 bottom frame. But, I think I'll wait to actually test that!
Let me know how it goes. I'd be interested to see how your test turns out. I did another built in stand trough using several coats of Herculiner truck bed liner. It held water nicely. It was extremely durable, had a nice look, but took months for the smell to go a way. They say to let thing air out for a couple of weeks. No big deal if you actually use it on your truck, but indoors it would smell everytime I openened the stand door.

If you have the time to wait it was a decent idea. But at $80 a gallon for the stuff, I think the Vinyl has it for the economics award.
Old 08/04/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Electrical

You might want to make all of your electrical connections in the electrical boxes. The only place that the electrical will fail is at the connection. Electrical connections expand and contract over time and can eventually loosen up. If this happens, the wirenut will melt and you will have a poor open connection. This can start a fire. The electrical boxes are fire rated for 1 hour. It is better to know there is a problem from something not working rather than it burning. You are doing a great job on the stand. I cant wait to see the rest!!!!!!!!
Old 08/04/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm...wasn't aware of that. I'll have to give that some thought, thanks!
Old 08/04/2006, 11:25 AM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Looking great!!
Old 08/10/2006, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Nice setup and I will be tagging along as well. I also live in JAX and I am interested in taking a look. I have a 225 gallon acrylic with stand and canopy that's it. It seems like I will be about a year out from completion with everything else I have to get. Nice wiring idea. Please keep updating, this help tremendously. Thanks.
Old 08/10/2006, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the great photos of the stand I will be referring to them when I build mine. I am trying to tell by looking at the photos, it the entire stand sitting on top of the plywood bottom?
Did you do a custom stand for your 125?