Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/29/2006, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Moving to the Seattle area

I am moving to Washington and had a few questions.
1) Is there a reef club in or around the Seattle area?
2) Since the Tank is disassembled, is it possible to drill Tempered Glass? If so How?
3) Some names of some good LFS?
Old 07/29/2006, 03:05 PM
Pragmatic Majic

1. Yes, the p.s.a.s., Puget Sound Aquarium Society. Many benefits, including a percentage off at some area stores, guest speakers, tank tours, frag swaps, ect.

2 Not sure, maybe ask at the DIY forum.

3. Some good lfs's, but prices are sometimes outrageous. My fave is Aquatic Dreams in Spokane (awesome prices, selection, and owner!), but it's kind of a drive, lol. There is also

Blue Sierra
The Shark Reef
Saltwater City

There are more, if I think of them i'll post them

Welcome to Eden, I mean Washington
Old 07/29/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Theres also Denny's Pet World. They have a pretty good size saltwater section and a decent selection of livestock.
Old 07/29/2006, 03:42 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Well your going to need to register here.

MANY folks from the Pacific NW. Man I'm home sick!

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/29/2006, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. I found one store that I like but it is in Eugene, OR. about 6 hrs from where I am moving. Long drive for fish
Old 07/29/2006, 07:16 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

It is impossible to drill tempered glass. No way around it unless you untemper the glass (which would be expensive/difficult/etc).
Old 07/29/2006, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

xtrstangx... KS huh.. I am from KS. Grew up in Scott City, Western side of the state. My mother wants all of her military sons to come home and start a lfs there. No way to drill it...... hmmm I guess I will just have to talk the wife into a larger pre drilled tank.... darn
Old 07/30/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmn_usn
Thanks. I found one store that I like but it is in Eugene, OR. about 6 hrs from where I am moving. Long drive for fish
man, i miss Eugene OR. use to study at U of O. never did figure out why the mascot is a duck though.

im just wondering, where is the lfs that you recommended? can't recall any at all.....lol

henry
Old 07/31/2006, 04:11 AM
Premium Member

Coming from Veneta it is on the right about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the Target. It has pond supplies, coffee/deli in the store and then the fish. It has the ocean mural on the wall facing the road.
Old 07/31/2006, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Reef Club and LFS

PSAS is a wonderful club, highly recommended. Check out Coral Beauty, a mom and pop reef store.
TLF phos reactor w/Rowaphos
Seachem Nitrate sponge
2x55w 50/50 actinic PC Current USA
0 amm, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 0 phos
Old 07/31/2006, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefshadow

Blue Sierra
The Shark Reef
Saltwater City
Thanks for posting this. I checked out Blue Sierra this weekend. Great selection, average to high prices (pretty high on corals, though fish prices seemed reasonable). They had a big Vlamingi Tang (about 10") for $349. I picked up a Potter's Angel ($60) and a trumpet coral ($50). The clerk said it was a candy cane, but I think it's actually a trumpet coral. It's neon green and I don't think candy canes come in that color, while I know that trumpets do.

I'm in Edmonds, and from what I've seen there's not many good fish stores in my area. I typically drive to Denny's in Kirkland or Pet-pourri in Everett. The one in Everett has a pretty crappy selection. Denny's has a better selection and decent prices. But Blue Sierra in Issaquah blows them away. About 5 times the livestock of Denny's. Well worth the drive for me.
Old 07/31/2006, 12:17 PM
Mackerel

Blue Sierra in Issaquah is what I would call a higher-quality reef store. They tend to have a good selection of cultured and tank raised coral as well as wild coral, and the conditions for their coral generally seem to be better than at many stores. There prices also run higher, IME.

Sharks Reef in Kitsap would be more toward the other end of the spectrum. Lots of wild-collected coral and not as many cultured or tank raised coral. Better prices on coral, though. As Eric is close to me I generally deal with him, and consider him honest and reasonable.

Is Saltwater City still around out on 520? I saw Below Sea Level packed it up in the U-district last time I was there. In Kitsap, there is a new store in Poulsbo called Ocean Reef Aquatics. Midway Pets in Kent has SW fish and couple of invert tanks.
Old 07/31/2006, 03:07 PM
Pragmatic Majic

Hey, TWallace-

Yeah, some of their coral prices are really outrageous, but I like that most frags are 29.99. This seems to be pretty consistant with them too. I also don't like to talk smack and I know it is hard for them to control, but beware of the zoanthids. They are full of nudis, and require dipping/quarantine.I saw that vlamingii. Beautiful fish. I would encourage anyone going through the Spokane area to check out Kevinpo's shop Aquatic Dreams, especially if you are into SPS. His prices literally blow any other shop in Washington out of the water, with most frags going for less than 30 bucks, and almost all are multiple generation in captivity. They are better than average frag size too, many appraching colony size.

Petpourri has been taking alot of my frags lately, so if they have seemed to have more in the last 6 weeks, alot of it was from my tank, lol. I've brought them probably 35 frags in the last 6 weeks and gotten about 400 credit. I bought that big lo foxface, i'm sure you've seen it. It is happy in my 240. They don't have a big selection, but they do give really good credit, better than i've gotten at Blue Sierra for sure.

Hmmmm, you should IM me and maybe we could talk.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

There is a trick to getting good prices at blue sierra. Youve got to bring their coupon =)

http://www.bluesierraexotics.com/

The coupon link is on the left. Now, if you send me an email, Ill send you the coupon that they USED to have up there (25% off coral). Its still valid as far as the date is concerned, its just not avilable for download off their site anymore.

jezzeaepi@hotmail.com

Peace
Old 07/31/2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Sharks Reef? Is that the one in the Nursery near the mall? And price will be a big issue on how quickly I get things set up in WA. In Guam... it took no time at all. Rock from 11 miles out at 150ft, fish... what ever the net brought in.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Awesome i am moving back to seattle also and hoping to open a wholsaler outlet.. for livestock... and drygoods. not too big but liverock and corals hopefully...
Old 08/01/2006, 01:08 AM
Pragmatic Majic

Waaaa, jezzeaepi, you're a life saver. I will email you
Old 08/01/2006, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

I live in Seattle as well, and am new to these forums. I just learned of several new stores from this thread. You guys are the best! The only stores I've been to around here are Blue Sierra and "The Fish Store."

I miss living in Vancouver, WA (10 minutes from Portland, OR). They have some real nice reef stores. Soutas, The Sea Horse, and some new one that recently went in.
Old 08/01/2006, 07:01 PM
Mackerel

Quote:
Sharks Reef? Is that the one in the Nursery near the mall?
Yes, in Silverdale and not very far from the Silverdale mall. Go to the Clear Creek Nursery. Sharks Reef is one of the buildings in the nursery. Its a little TOO conveniant for me on my way home from work at Bangor Sub Base, if you know what I mean.
Old 08/01/2006, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

piercho---I know where that is. When I left WA, they only had show tanks, nothing for sale... someone must have put a bug in their ear.
That is where I am headed to work.. on the HMJ
Old 08/01/2006, 11:11 PM
Mackerel

Quote:
That is where I am headed to work.. on the HMJ
You have my condolensces!! I work for Northrop and sit up at an office in SWFPAC but am down on Delta pretty frequently. I'll be around for MAC loadout whenever that happens. You can PM me for a work phone if you'd like to get together.
Old 08/02/2006, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Will do... I am sitting in Yokosuka Japan right now... I will be in WA sometime in Sep or Oct.
Old 08/02/2006, 01:50 AM
Premium Member

Has anyone used the water card at the Seattle Aquarium?
Old 10/10/2006, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Home... home at last. Time to start getting everything together