Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/31/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Question My 55 gallon journal....pics intense

I started this tank in July of 05. As you can all see instead of becoming something beautiful it has turned into an eye sore. I bought this tank from a friend who wanted to get rid of it. I took my 29 gallon down to make room for the 55 gallon. I am getting more income and I would like to put money into the tank. I would like it to go from an eye sore to something I can be proud of.
The lights that came with the tank are the 4 110watt vho's. I have no clue as to what kind of ballast I have. I would like to get a MH/PC combo down the road. I have good water movement but have four powerheads in the display I would like to cut back on those with a couple of seio's. The guy that I bought the tank from gave me a Berlin skimmer. I do not think it works because I can not see any bubbles in the chamber. The plumbing to me kinda looks like crap. I still have my 29 gallon and I would like to turn it into a sump/fuge mix. The live rock that came from my 29 gallon is in the 55 gallon except for a couple of pieces that I could not fit into the display. I would just like to see other people with 55 gallon tanks that can give me some idea's and maybe take me under their wing. I just would like to know where to start. Should I start on my lights or should I start on my sump/fuge. I am open to any suggestions. I do prefer constructive criticism instead of non-constructive criticism.
Old 01/31/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/31/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

I would like to start with something small to upgrade or to fix....like get new skimmer, powerhead, filter.
Old 01/31/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I Started my 55 around the same time you did. I decided on a canister instead of a sump. I also have a hang on the back filter that came with the tank. I will get some photos for you. I have quite a few... but at work and can't access them. PM me if your email is not on your profile. the pics you have looks good.
Old 02/02/2006, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I am going to do a water change on Sunday I have not done one in almost two months.....I am wondering how much water can I change before I throw everything off target....I would like to change 44 gallons....Does anyone think that will be to much....All I have in the tank right now is snails, crabs, a sandsifting star, polyps, mushrooms, favia, and one clown fish.....should i be fine doing a water change that large.....
Old 02/02/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

i have never heard of anyone doing a water change that large, 3/4 their system volume?? thats a huge water change. most people do that BIGGEST of 50% of their water volume, in your case around 30 gallons saying that sump holds 5 gallons. although i have seen people do them that big i would not reccomend it, i usually do 10% every two weeks in my 75g. In your case since one has not been done in a while, i would do like 25%, or around 15 gaallons. HTH, Mike
Old 02/02/2006, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Favabean I had a quick question. I know 55g's are only 13 inch wide, is your live rock up against the back of the tank. Im currently setting my 55 up, I was jsut curious
Old 02/02/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

ste6168.....I will start to do 15 gallons weekly....I just thought since one has not been done in a long time 15 gallons wouldnt really help much.....kraze3 my live rock is against the back of the tank. I can not stick anything back there but the fish have room to maneuver around......I would like other 55 gallon people to show me their tanks and give me some ideas.
Old 02/02/2006, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

well i have a few more piece of equipment to buy and then ill be ordering my LR ill post some pics when i get it setup
Old 02/02/2006, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

alright kraze3
Old 02/02/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I am at work right now but when I get home I will put up a few of my 55g. It has been set up since december and just crashed due to my stupidity. I am not happy with the stand it is on right now so I am going to use this misfortune to make some great improvements on everything I can.

I am going to build a stand that is 3 1/2' tall and inside it will sit a 55g super sump with another 29g fuge, I am hoping to start construction this weekend. I am considering makeing the 29g fuge into a display fuge and picture frame it into one of the doors but that is still up in the air.
Old 02/02/2006, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

That sounds really nice ScubaLuke. I just know I am going to do a water change this weekend of 15 gallons but after that I do not know what I should try to do next. Should I go ahead and try to set up the 29 gallon as a sump/fuge and take some of the rock out of the main tank to put in the 29....Also I think I want to get rid of the skimmer....I do not think it is even working since I see no bubbles in the chamber....I would like to maybe try a closed loop but if i cant figure that out I just want to go with a couple of seio's.....thanks for the feed back ScubaLuke
Old 02/02/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I am a newbie here in this hobby but I would see if you can get the skimmer working. I think the 29g would make a great sump. If you are trying to get some rock out of your tank then I say add it to your sump but if you are happy with how hitngs look then do not mess with it. For my system I will am hoping to buy another 50lbs of rock. Most of it will go into the sump/fuge but I am still wanting a piece or two for the display tank also. I already ahve 60lbs of it in the display but I am not happy with it so I am going to play with it.

As for the Seios or a closed loop what are your intentions for them? Wavemaking or just current. I have recently added a couple of Maxi Jet 1200 that I modified in around 5 minutes will a dremel moto tool. It is more should be more then enough flow for a 55g. In the near future I will be putting those on a wavetimer but for right they just run non stop.

Here is a thread at a local club I am memeber of that will show you how to do the mod.
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=12997
After today I do nto think I will need a Seio like I planned. I am going to add one more MJ1200 also modified but that will be after I get this stand sump/fuge project finished
Old 02/02/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Also
If you go to that thread check out the videos that Marc has included in it. That tank is 29g with 1 (I do want you to understand 1 maxijet 900) MJ900 in it If you have any question about the mod please ask.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

One more thing if you want to see a 55g reef tank set up take a look at this
http://www.melevsreef.com/
Marc is the president of our local club and I bleive he is on the RC staff here. On his website he also shows you how to build a DIY closed loop. Hope this helps
Old 02/02/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Here is mine. I have since added new light but I still am runnig teh HOB filter for another couple of weeks. I hope
Old 03/01/2006, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Well, it has been a month since i posted my first post. I still have not really done anything to help my tank out. I have done water changes every week now. This sat. I would like to take my 29 gallon and put it as my sump/fuge. I am just wondering if I have to get a new pump and overflow or should I be ok with the overflow and pump that I have now. I am also just wanting to get it organized at the bottom with all my plugs. I just need to know about the pump and overflow.....also instead of having the overflow where it is....is it possible to put it in the center or just have it all the way over to one corner? I would like to hear any responses or suggestions
Old 03/01/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

You can put your overflow any where on the tank your choice, one side is not better than the other. I have a 55gal and just built a sump and a refugium out of two 10gal tanks. I read alot about refugiums before I built mine and like the fact of natural filtration, or in other words no more cleaning my dang mechanical filter. I have two 1inch overflows that I built myself that run together into 1inch clear tubing with a ball vavle to control flow rate which goes into my refugium at one end. And at the other it moves to the second 10gal tank which is my sump though a 1-3/4inch siphon. Located in my 10gal sump is my coralife 220gal super skimmer and my Mag7 return pump which brings the water up 3/4inch clear tubing to a two direction return that I also made. I have an inline heater so it is not in the tank or the sump. I will take pictures for you since I was once where you are until I just decided to do it about a month ago. As for water changes I do 25% or 13.75 gals of water every month but it all depends on your bio load. Have you tested your water, what are your parameters? Your lighting is not bad but the soft coral you have will respond alot better to a MH/VHO combo, which is what I am looking at for my tank because right now I am running coralife 4x65watt PC, as for the MH/VHO combo I am looking at is the coralife aqualight pro. If you don't want to upgrade your lights how old are the bulbs you have now? As for all your free running plugs down below I used good old zip ties to clean everything up. As for your return pump what pump will you be using? If you choose to use a refugium then you should read the forums with all the pros and cons. To me there are really no cons, but each their own. I know this is alot but I hope it helps. I will get you some pics ASAP if you have any other questions I will try to answer them if I can or maybe point you in the right direction. Best of luck!!
Old 03/01/2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Are you running any typy of lighting cycle to simulate morning, day, evening, and night?
Old 03/01/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

tsutherland, I have alot of questions.....can i send you a pm?
Old 03/01/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

yessum
Old 06/03/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

This is my tank after the move to my sister's new home....I just need a couple of questions answered....1. What kind of overflow box do I have....and where can i get parts for it...mainly a sponge to go over one of the drains and a top for it.....2. I know I have a Berlin skimmer but I shut off the air to it so it has stopped....I am confused on how much to turn the knob....Should I open it full and let alot of bubbles or just half way....also is a skimmer suppose to cause alot of evaporation? Also my lights which I really would like to replace because my intentions of this tank is just soft and mushroom corals...but if i keep the vho's the bulb that is out do I need to have the end caps on all of the bulbs....the one's without the end caps how would i take the bulbs out.....The tank is not up to my standards I hope to redo some stuff like get some seios and new lights and maybe a new sump...29 gallon instead of the 5 under it now....thanks for viewing and if you have any input I would appreciate it....
Old 07/30/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Well here is my diy overflows that someone told me about.....I tested each one for about thirty mins and they never lost the siphon. I was told that they can move about 800 gph. When I let the water run dry then started them again they went back to working....I am looking now for some plumbing help next.....I want to run both of these to my 29 gallon sump/fuge....each one of these on opp corners of the tank one side of the 29 for the sump and the other for the fuge.....then in the middle have the return pump with a Y fitting to give me my flow that way I do not have any powerheads in the main tank......so my two questions are...1. when i make the pipe to go to the sump/fuge should i use 90 degree angles or just a 45 degree....also where should i put some valves incase i ever need to stop the flow....2. What return pump should i use to be able to keep up with the overflows? thanks for anyone who reads/replies back....
Old 07/30/2006, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

hey fava see the 2 t'son the last open pipes imagine runnina a stright pipr between them cutting it in half and use another t to hook then together and run one to your sump
Old 07/30/2006, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Thats what I plan on doing now is hooking them together before they reach the sump/fuge.....if i am pushing maybe 800 gph on each should i try to find a pump that will push around 1600 or get one that is alittle higher?