Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

help me choose a return pump!!!!

I am setting up my first reef tank. It is a 180 rr. I have a 58 gallon sump and a 29 gallon refugium. The fuge will be gravity feed back to sump. I have been looking at the Mag 18, oceanrunner 6500 and the panworld 100xx. I have a budget on this. I cant decide if I should go external or internal. I can do either. I feel safer with the internal but that is me being a newb. I will have about 5 feet of head pressure, 3 90s. It will be feeding 2 1" returns. My drains are 1.5 bulkhead with 1" dursos.

Another question is should I tee off and valve a line to the fuge or use a separate pump. The fuge will have about 3 90s and be going to a 1" bulkhead.

Anyone that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Please chime in if you have experience with these pumps, or any others that are good with same flow>
Old 01/05/2008, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

I had a Mag 18 on a 110 pushing @ 8' of head and going through a SCWD. I sure would have liked more flow. I would get a bigger pump than you think you need, you can always plumb a bypass.
As for the 'fuge, I'd use a seperate pump, or T off of one of the drains to feed the 'fuge.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks flood. I only have pump around 4-5 of head and no scwd. I am only going for around 5x turnover with the return.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Make sure you use the "Head Loss Calculator" on the homepage. It's a real neat tool.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rammin28
I cant decide if I should go external or internal. I can do either.
plumbing it outside is preferable, IMO, for a number of reasons, not least of which is that there's far less heat transfer from the pump to the system's water. There are other reasons to consider plumbing it outside, like making more room available in the sump, etc. but in any event, don't be put off by doing it...Once you take on the "project" it'll turn out to be far easier than you had imagined.

Quote:
I will have about 5 feet of head pressure, 3 90s. It will be feeding 2 1" returns. My drains are 1.5 bulkhead with 1" dursos.
Use this.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Punch in all the relevant details and it'll help you fine-tune on your choice of water pump.

Quote:
Another question is should I tee off and valve a line to the fuge or use a separate pump. The fuge will have about 3 90s and be going to a 1" bulkhead.
I'd consider using a separate pump for the separate refugium. Make sure that in your plans, you will have enough room in the sump and in the separate refugium that you plan for the water from the main tank that will drain down when the return pump or pumps are go off for any reason. That is, they should operate with a maximum water level that will permit the drain-back to fit into them without overflowing and causing a flood.

Quote:
Anyone that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Please chime in if you have experience with these pumps, or any others that are good with same flow>
The only one of those that I have any experience with is the Mag, though I never have used a Mag 18. I have used other Mags fairly extensively and I find them to be reliable and silent, though, admitedly, there are many people that complain that theirs are noisy. I wonder why I've never had that problem with any of those that I've used and still use now...for a good number of years.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Never had it happen to me but I have heard Mag pumps leak alot. Brother had one that leaked. Always used mine internal.
FWI, I now have a Hammer Head (external )and love it.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

you use a hammerhead for return on a 110? Thats is a ton of flow through your sump. I am looking for about 5x turnover.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I was using a O.S 6500 on my 90 for awhile, nice pump can be used Internal or external and low on wattage. Other than filling my filter sock up in about 3 days It did Its job with a massive turn over rate. Needless to say I down graded my pump and changing my sock once every 2 weeks now.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

i had a or 2500 on a 90 gal but and it was awsome... great pump.. my 1st choice if i where to get a in sump return.. for a external i would do a panword, thats what i currently have on my tank... best external pump i used yet

YgGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/06/2008, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

which panworld pum do you use
Old 01/06/2008, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Which Panworld pump would everyone suggest?
Old 01/06/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

pxx 50.. the 90 watt one...

check out the article Melev wrote for this month.. good stuff...

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/06/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

where is this article at?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Well I guess I am going with the pan world 50 xx for those who have read. Thanks for the input.