Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Sump Size

I just built a Sump for a new set up. I am very new at all of this and beleive that we learn better by doing. I did my research and thought how I divided the Sump was ok. Now I am having doubts. I'm planning on a reef tank (size is 55g). The sump size that I built is 36"l x 10"w x 16.5"h. The skimmer section is 9"x 10" x9" (4g) the refugium is 9.5"x10"x12" (5g) and a return section is 15"x 10"x 9" (5.8g). I am worried that the refugium section is to small. Am I in the ball park? Also I just read about making a refugium look very eye pleasing with the right "plants ect.." I have a hang-on Refugium (CPR 24") that may be able to piped to a area in the open if needed, but would rather not go that route if I could avoid it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

you really want the fuge as large as you can, the skimmer area should just be as big as you need for your skimmer.. .the return needs to be large enough to allow some evaporation - unless you have floats or auto-fill of some sort, then I'd make a smaller return area..
Old 01/05/2008, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Remember to have enough room at all times in your sump/refugium for the water that would drain back down to it from the main tank when the return pump is turned off or goes off for any reason.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys. This was the max size that could be done and I hedged abit on the return side for the volume. Just wanted to be sure before I start the plumbing.