Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/17/2007, 10:14 PM
clownfish fan

Unhappy Its official, i have Red bugs

i noticed Red bugs today, i have no shrimp or crabs in my tank will snails be affected by interceptor?

i have a 23 mg interceptor pill that i got a month ago from my vet what is the dosage for 50g tank, i cant use the search function and my computer with my archive of bookmarks crashed....

just need the dosage for 50g
Old 12/17/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Here is the original thread:
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14402

For future reference on search function:
http://reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11

I treated my 90+40gal sump (total water volume around 100 gallons) with 1/2 of a pill for each treatment. I think that using the recommended dosage a 23mg pill treats 380 gallons. I overdosed as many have done successfully.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:06 AM
clownfish fan

Thanks Zibba im going to wait until i get back from vacation to start.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Hey Man.. I actually do interceptor every 6 months on my tank.. call me paranoid but It became a habit for me. I just did one last week the whole pill then did 30% of water changes.. I don't have crabs and my cleaner , harlequin and I think peppermint survive again.. just thought I would share....
Old 12/18/2007, 01:21 PM
Catch and release

Here is the actual original thread.

That sounds like a real good way to create your own strain of Interceptor resistant bugs reeferpony. There really is no reason to treat if you don't have them. If you do treating just once will likely not get rid of them.....especially if you have shrimp surviving.

Good luck GSMguy. Interceptor doesn't affect snails at the usual doses.

Chris
Old 12/19/2007, 04:11 AM
King of the white corals

ya.........red bugs are the best pests to get at this point as we CAN easily get rid of them.

the last thing we need are bugs getting traded or sold that have become immune to the interceptor treatments
Old 01/06/2008, 03:23 AM
clownfish fan

Im thru my second dose already the bugs seem to be gone.

I have not been doing water changes on the tank after doses, no problems
Old 01/06/2008, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Double post
Old 01/06/2008, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
That sounds like a real good way to create your own strain of Interceptor resistant bugs reeferpony. There really is no reason to treat if you don't have them. If you do treating just once will likely not get rid of them.....especially if you have shrimp surviving.
Is that from only treating once repeatedly?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:59 AM
SPS Kibitzer

interceptor works, I have used it in the past with great success, Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01/06/2008, 09:54 AM
SPS Freak

Can't really create a strain resistent bug if you do the correct dose.

Dose 1 - Kill bugs
Dose 2 - Paranoid but no bugs present = nothing done.
Dose 3 - Bugs introduced back in tank - result killed
Dose 4 - No bugs present - nothing done.

I don't see how that would create a strain resistent enviroment. Now if he did half doses, then yes, that would be highly possible.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:55 AM
clownfish fan

im doing full dose, then a double dose, then a double again to make sure, after that i will Resume carbon, i only stop the skimmer for the first 4 hours after dosing. i also dont want my shrimps to survive, i never should have put peppermints in my reef

I will also do a 25% water change monday night when my treatment is over, as of this morning my PE is improved and the red bugs have disappeared from sight.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

did it kill your shrimp and snails or hermits
Old 01/07/2008, 01:27 PM
clownfish fan

hermits yes shrimp, no.

im doing a third dose tonight or tomorrow
Old 01/07/2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

thats the thing i like about being able to qt my stuff. gotta have pods for my pair of mandrins and wrasse
Old 01/07/2008, 01:34 PM
clownfish fan

QT is fine but if they get in the tank i like that there is a safe way to zap them, m in no way attached to my shrimp. these things were really killing my corals i got them just in time.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

My cleaner died the first dose. I have a coral banded that made it through all 3.

How long till we can put the hermits back in the water running carbon and doing water changes like the treatment plan calls for?
Old 01/07/2008, 04:02 PM
clownfish fan

my coral banded and peppermint are both alive thru 2 last dose tonight
Old 01/07/2008, 04:04 PM
clownfish fan

I just realized i need more interceptor the other pill i had only says 2.5mg its for 9 pound dogs

lol
Old 01/07/2008, 04:44 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
my coral banded and peppermint are both alive thru 2 last dose tonight
I had one pepp survive (though looked terrible) through the first two treatments. The third dose definitely took him out though.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/07/2008, 05:01 PM
Catch and release

Many people have reported dosing just once and not getting rid of the bugs altogether. The bugs that survive will be more resistant and the bugs those bugs produce will also likely carry a gene that will make them more resistant. Then you dose again several months later and the bugs that survive that treatment will be more resistant once again. That's the premise behind what I said.
This is generally a premise used with bacteria and antibiotics and admittedly bacteria reproduce very fast and have a much greater chance of making rapid changes in the gene pool but it can presumably also happen with just about anything that has a fairly short reproductive life cycle.
I have seen several reports of people treating lately and the treatment not working as reliably as it used to. There was even speculation a few years ago that red bugs were already becoming resistant to Interceptor.
This is nothing I can back up with any sort of relevant data, just observations of threads like these. Failures in treatments could just as likely be human error or any number of things.
It was and is still is my fear however that out of laziness and not treating three times we would render a very effective method of treating red bugs not as useful as it once was. Hopefully that won't happen but IMO it's very possible it will over time.
Chris
Old 01/07/2008, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

It sucks how often Darwin has to be right.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:13 PM
clownfish fan

well fishdoc with the "double"(more than that really) dosage i used for #2 i dont beleive i still have shrimp alive.

My third dose im thinking will be another double I really want rid of them.

Do you know of a dosage that works for a dip? if i need to do a 6 hour dip i can set up a 10G with a powerhead to do that.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:04 PM
Catch and release

I use at least a 5 times dosage for at least 6 hours for dipping corals where I see no signs of red bugs. If I see red bugs I'll dip them for 24 hours. Either will then go into QT and get at least one more dip for no bugs and a couple more for frags with bugs with the final dip comming before placing into the main tank. You don't need to be real precise with your dipping dosage so long as it's a lot. Corals can easily survive up 100x's Dustins dosage of Interceptor from what I have read.
Chris
Old 01/08/2008, 12:08 AM
Catch and release

Do you mix in a container with salt water or RO/DI? Not sure if that makes much of a difference but I have always mixed in a cup of RO/DI for an hour or so prior to addition and never had any problems/issues.
Chris