Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Question Brown Fuzzy Algae

I have a 75g. reef with below tank sump. I Have had a great looking tank for about two years now. In the last 3 months I have a brown fuzzy algae on my rock and it has spread to my sand bed. You can peel a layer off the sand bed. 1 week ago I did a 25g. water change and may see a small change for the better. Does anyone have an idea as to what it is or how to get it out of my tank?
Old 08/12/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

If it is Hincksia (Brown hair algae) it's not palatable to most herbivorous fish.Fast growing common in cooler waters.Siphon of substrate. Use phosphate absorbing media and good skimming to limit phosphate.
Old 08/12/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

I am not sure if it is brown hair algae. It is about 1/8 inch high. I had my phosphate tested last week and it was fine. I use chem pure in my filter sock. and have an asm 2 skimmer.
Old 08/12/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Does it have trapped oxygen bubbles in it . Or is it more turf like or bristley?
Old 08/12/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

It is more turf like with no bubbles in it.
Old 08/12/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

not sure what you have, but i have a similar algae, but mine does have the bubbles.....what is it and what can i do?

thanks.
Old 08/13/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Lyngbya wolud be my guess reefervt.It is a type of cyanobacteria, forms turfs on rock,sand. It's not palatable to many herbivores. Usually blooms under nutrient-poor conditions. To control manual removal,Herbivores. Most cynos can be controlled by removing or oxidizing dissolved organic compounds,increased water flow,and limiting dissolved phosphate.So with that said things to check=skimmers working well time to clean whole unit? Phos test wasn't expired or unreliabe?In My tank if I see any cyno I change rowa-phos ,carbon in reactors and it clears up I use cyno kind of like a indicator for cleaning. Hope this helps

Dallast its probably red slime that comes in a brown version it's a cyno to above directions applied.Make sure it is't smothing corals.It can cause black band disease in corals.hermits such as Clibanarius tricolor(Blue legged hermit)May eat it.
Old 08/19/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. I have seen some bubbles it it.