Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I had 2 fish stay in the rock of a tank upgrade. the lawnmower blenny made it and the six line died. Several carpet surfers over the years. but the one I had the most direct hand ifn killing was my coral beauty angel. I was adding some live sand and it pushed a rock back a couple of inches and it pined the angel to the glass and then some of the sand was pushed on him (I could not see him pined in the cloudy just added sand water) and he died. It sucks because if I was a little more careful adding the sand it wouldn't have happened.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation Missing, Probable Death, Unknown Cause, Many Suspects

Unbeknownst to me, a Blue Devil Damsel had leapt into the overflow. When I performed my regular water change and tank cleaning, I emptied the overflow by removing the drain pipe and emptied the sump with a siphon hose.

I rinsed the overflow with hot chlorinated tap water and then proceeded to empty the hot chlorinated water from the sump with a large ¾” diameter siphon hose. I finally saw the poor Blue Devil in my sump but not in time to keep it from being sucked into the hose. I couldn’t get it out of the hose, so I let it drain down the 25-foot hose into the sink. I was able to grab it from the sink before it was about to flush down the drain.

When I placed the Blue Devil back into the aquarium, the Maroon Clown bit it and attempted to return to his anemone with it. With a stick, I rescued the Blue Devil from the clutches of the clownfish and his anemone cohort. The Blue Devil couldn’t swim but settled down on the sand bed breathing heavily.

A hermit crab then attacked the helpless Blue Devil so I used a stick to defend it for several minutes from all would-be predators. Finally, my wife called me to dinner, so I used the stick to move the distressed fish to the other side of the aquarium where the anemone on the sand bed can keep the hermit crab away. I gently nudged the Blue Devil under a rock where the Maroon Clown doesn’t venture. There it sat on the sand bed still breathing heavily. After dinner, I returned to the aquarium but the Blue Damsel had disappeared and no trace of him was ever found.

We still don't know who or what kidnapped or killed him!

Last edited by pjf; 07/17/2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:39 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

I didn't calibrate my new refractometer out of the box, so I killed two clowns and a Bangaii cardinal with an SG of 1.031.

I still feel like a jerk.
Old 07/18/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I put a Molly Miller Blenny in my refugium for holding until I could take him back to the LFS (he was nipping the clam). he made it over the divider wall and into the return pump.
Old 07/18/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

not in a reef tank, but a FW guppy tank.

I used half a dose of algae fix. The next day, they looked like they had "melted."

What's worse is that I did it a second time with the same results 6 months later. That's when I realized that just because a product is guaranteed to be safe doesn't mean that it is, and it will kill all your $30 guppies from Thailand.
Old 07/18/2007, 09:35 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Wow, guess I'm not alone in this....

Click my red house to see my tank :-)