Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Sump Questions

Okay I have been thinking of doing this and would like some feedback or advice and I haven't been able to find much on this believe it or not. I want to make a sump/refuge for my 75g. I want to use a rubbermaid storage box about 15 to 20 g and inside the big one I want to put a smaller one that will be the fuge. I would drill or cut holes in the ends of the smaller one for water flow through the fuge. One end would contain the skimmer and inflow the other end would be the pump and heater etc. I would need to have an outside overflow as my tank is not drilled. I would try for a 600 gph overflow with a 1" drain. Is this sufficient? also I would have a return pump rated at 850gph with a ball valve on the return with a 1" return. Am I on the right track here or am I lunched?
Old 06/17/2006, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.......
Old 06/17/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Getting an attitude isn't going to get you real far man. Anyways, your really only going to need about 500gph though the sump. I can't comment on the whole rubbermaid idea as I built mine out of a 29gallon tank. Wish I could help you more. Cheers
Old 06/17/2006, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

just an idea, if the sides of the rubbermaid container bow out when filled, build a 2X4 frame around it
Old 06/17/2006, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I saw one that was similiar to what you are describing. I like the idea that the refugium could be removed easliy by just lifting it out. Sumps are pretty basic. Flow in, flow out, stuff in-between. Only your imagination limits it.
Old 06/18/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks I appreciate the input. Sorry if anyone thought I was giving attitude. Just hard to beleive so many views and no input.

My thought on the tub inside a tub was to slow the water flow through the refugium a bit.
Old 06/18/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

I am using a rubbermaid sump for my system. I used 2 rubbermaids to prevent bowing. Be sure to get the ones that are not straight on the sides because those bow our quite a bit. Anyways, I currently have my macroalgae growing in the system.

I have the water come into the system that has macroalgae growing. Inside, I have a beaker where it houses 2 Maxijet 1200s to act as my return pumps. All in all, I am happy with the setup.

Shawn
Old 06/18/2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

sounds good. I thought the smaller one inside would act as baffles. do you have any bubbling back into the tank? What size overflow are you using? what size is the rubbermaid container. I am loking to use a 35g one?
Old 06/18/2006, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

another thing you may want to consider is that instead of just a bal valve on the return, put a T and run the T'd off part back to the sump or refugim, that way there isnt stress on the pump . just make sure you put a ballvalve onto the part that goes back to the sump or refugim again so that all the water doesnt go back to the sump or refugim. if you dont have a ballvalve gravity will kick in and no water will go back to your tank!!! just an idea
Old 06/19/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LornaS
sounds good. I thought the smaller one inside would act as baffles. do you have any bubbling back into the tank? What size overflow are you using? what size is the rubbermaid container. I am loking to use a 35g one?
There is some bubble formation, but it quickly dissipates. I have my return submerged and the return is sloped at the end with a long 90 degree bend. All the bubbles rise to the top and none make it back to the pumps. The beaker is there just in case my U-tube fails for any reason and the water will be drained down to the level of the U-tube. I am not worried about my 2 Maxijets burning out. I would be more worried about with a real return pump.

I am using a DIY overflow with a 1" U-tube. With my 2 Maxijets, there is no bubble accumulation in the U-tube, which means it is flowing fast enough for my single U-tube.

The size of the container? Uhh... it fits about half of under my 75 gallon stand. So, maybe a 10 gallon sump? I honestly do not know. I guess I could check when I get home.

As I said, I am very very happy with this setup. The flow is fast enough, but also slow enough to get the desired turnover rate.

Shawn
Old 06/19/2006, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Now that sounds exactly what I want. Could you give me better drawings and specifics. I was reading that using an overflow is inviting disaster as they will all fail at some time or other......sounds kind of pessimistic to me.

btw, where in Canada are you as I am a Canadian held captive in the US by my Murican husband......happily that is though I do miss my Canuck home.
Old 06/21/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I do not have the measurements. I would have to check that at home. What I can remember is this: I got a single piece of acrylic cut at ~10" wide and was about ~30" long. I bent it using a heat gun such that I have 2 weirs. The first weir is about 3-4" deep and long, then comes over to the rim of the tank. Then it goes down and makes another weir outside of the tank that is longer than the internal weir. I glued on sides acrylic to make the sides and make it waterproof. I have 2 bulkheads in the external weir. One is a Stockman mod and the other is a pipe that is higher than the intake of the Stockman mod. This enables that if the Stockman intake gets clogged, I have a backup. I would have to take pics at home but this illustration should make things clear.

Keep in mind that the Stockman mod is higher in real life and this does not show the second bulkhead.

Concerning 'inviting disaster', I believe that if one takes care in designing the overflow that it is safe to use. Some people have used them for years without problems, but some have used them for one day and discovered floods around the tank. I took precautions against overflows by the beakrer inside the sump and added a second bulkhead to the weir.

Cheers, Shawn