Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcmfish
you can pick them up at the beach in florida!! lol
HOLY SMOKES!!! you were serious about the beach.... I am sorry.

I'll have to close my eyes and feel around if I ever get down there huh. I never knew this. What do they look like? (the seeds)

Or better yet I'll buy some off of you who live in FL. And you can just mail them to me.

Lucky
Old 12/20/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Great tank! thanks for the pics.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:18 PM
Bee Wrangler

Knight, yes I use an osmolator for topoff. I don't want any kind of swing in salinity for sure.

lucky-rc, mangrove seeds drop off the trees in august or so. They are only around for a short time so you'll have to find someone to get you some at that point. you wouldn't find them in the water now.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:28 PM
Killer of Giants

I'm not from Boston, but that is WICKED COOL!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:14 PM
I <3 Fish.

That's really sweet. I've always wanted a mangrove tank, I may put some in my fuge now.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Nice creative approach! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:57 PM
Bee Wrangler

Thanks for your kind words, it's my pleasure!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm, could that be the difference? I tried baby mangroves, from 4" to about 12". All died. Could the seedings adjust better to aquarium life the older ones?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:31 PM
Bee Wrangler

Yes, seeds (or propagules) can be placed in your environment of choice. Once they sprout, however ,they cannot be moved without alot of slow acclimation. Seeds can be placed in various substrates and salinities and will take hold very quickly. These seeds were collected in September. Some of them have roots close to 8 inches long now. If you buy mangroves, be sure to find out 1) if they've sprouted roots / leaves yet and 2) if so, what were the exact conditions. Even then it might be tough to get them to acclimate. For what it's worth, just get propagules instead
Old 12/21/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Bump...because this fellow is educational...and willing to share it.

for free....lol

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

xcreonx:
I have done quite a bit of reading on mangroves today. I found a link where you can buy the seeds (25 for $40) not bad IMO.

I have come up with a few questions though. If you don't mind?

1.) I've read that you can trim the roots and clip the leafs (as long as you leave one) to maintain them from getting too big. If you have them planted in 3-4 inches of mud, and you up-root them to trim the roots a little will you release the bad bac. that can be deadly in a normal D.S.B.? Im not to keen about only one leaf though. I'd like to have a small tree 3-4 feet ??? if its not too much to maintian when this big.

2.) The seed needs to be suspended half way out of the water, but how far from the bottom of the tank? If I use the recomended styrofoam and float them but the seed is in 20" deep water is this too deep to start them growing?

I may have more questions? I'm very interested in trying this. Like I stated earlier in the thread, I too have carried Robert Fenner's fuge image for several years and having seen your set up I feel safe in trusting your info. to be succesful at it. so if you don't mind, I'm going to attempt to stop carring it and build it with your input.

Thinking I will build a fuge instead of the over flow box's though.
Out of acrylic maybe a 2x2 cube I can put in the corner beside my tank this way. I could run from the overflow box through it, and into the sump. In theory this would allow the D.T. water to circulate through it by gravity (saveing elec. and waste heat) and just put a small power head w/ an air stone in front of it.if I put it in the opposite corner as the intake I'd creat good cross current.
I want it to be part of the D.T. to help with phos. and other high nutrient levels.

Think it'll work?

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Just plucked some from a nearby canal about a month ago and just threw them in my sump, no sand just pulled out some LRR put them in and put the LRR on the roots. small flouresent light on for 15 hours a day, new leaves starting to pop out already nitrates gone go figure! By the way AWSOME TANK GOOD LUCK!
Old 12/21/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I have one planted in my ten gallon. It gets only a few hours of morning sun a day since the tank is by a window. It has started shooting up leaves and the roots are growing crazy. It was maybe a footlong when I got it from the beach and I just let the bottom rest on the sand maybe 8in. underwater and the top stuck out maybe 4 in. and it does great. I have a PC light on the tank for the corals and I have been surprised that the heat from the light has had no ill effects on it since it kind of rests on the light for support but its doing good.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

yes I have read that actual sun is great for them to get them started. I also read that they do just fine w/ a 40 watt bulb. It should be at least a few inches above the leafs, If they are getting too much they will turn brown. Just raise the light a little.
From what I am gathering they are very easy and hardy... BUT starting them from a seed is the best route, and getting them started can take a little time... but then watch out. I've also read that your when they get fairly mature you may even no longer need your skimmer. and if you employe 1 per 10 gal of water you can cut back your water changes. In systems useing them for a year or better the no3, no2, nh, and po are "ZERO" with only 1/2 the water changes the same exact set up had with the skimmer running and without the mangroves.
very interesting stuff...
Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 01:13 PM
Bee Wrangler

Lucky, you might be better off making a new thread in the Plants and Macroalgae forum with your specific mangrove tank questions. You'll definitely get more answers to your questions with more specialized attention! I do think your plan is doable for sure.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12/21/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

what camera are you using to take those pictures? They are absolutely stunning.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:21 PM
Bee Wrangler

Oh thanks Asonitez,

I use a Nikon D100 with the Nikon 17-35mm 2.8.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xcreonx
Lucky, you might be better off making a new thread in the Plants and Macroalgae forum with your specific mangrove tank questions. You'll definitely get more answers to your questions with more specialized attention! I do think your plan is doable for sure.

Thanks again everyone!
Ok thanks

Lucky
Old 12/21/2007, 04:31 PM
Bee Wrangler

Thanks Vito

Were they still unsprouted seeds? I remember seeing the occasional seed floating around this time of year. Usually in a cove or slow-water areas of the intercoastal. Although, Im not sure which coast you are on either. Good find tho.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:31 PM
Bee Wrangler

Oops, double post
Old 12/21/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

They were in the waves in the ocean at melbourne beach (east side)... tons of them me and my friends would throw them out deeper or away because they were always bumping into us. I just took one for my lil ten gal to see how it would do and its doing great. There are some in the intercoastal waterway but I think more of those survive because when I have gone there the water is shallower and calmer and they can root in the sand. They pretty much coat the shorline there. Its cool to see the big trees with all their roots.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Oh xcreonx I was meaning to ask you are there any plans for any additions to your tank or are you pretty much set with how it is and whne the trees start growing what are you doing to do to allow enough light to reach the corals?
Old 12/21/2007, 05:09 PM
Bee Wrangler

tcmfish, I don't think Ill be adding anymore corals or fish. I am, however, considering inverts like feather dusters, flame scallops, maybe a clam. The Elegance is so aggresive I really dont want to put anything near him.

Once the mangroves get big enough to shade the light I'll either upgrqade the T5s or add the metal halide fixtue I have gathering dust in the closet. I have some time before that happens, these guys grow very slow.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Your system is really beautiful. It's defenitly one of my favorite. I rarely see tanks such as yours that strike my attention.

The mangrove idea is really original.

Is this an Indo elegance or an aussie one? For how much time do you have it? Was it expensive (aussie coral?)?

If you have any other pics or updates in the few next weeks, please post them!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:21 AM
Bee Wrangler

Thanks Amphirion

Im not sure where the Elegance is from. I bought it when it was pretty small and it was a reasonable price. $75 believe. It might not be the flashiest, most colorful but it sure is beautiful! Ive had it for about 1 1/2 years.

I will definitely keep this thread updated with pics as we go. The macros are growing like crazy and Im sure the tank will look so much more colorful as time goes by.

thanks again!