Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

70W MH - what should be the distance from water?

70W MH - what should be the distance from water?
Safe and efficient, I mean.

So far it is in slightly less, than 5" (11 cm) from the water, and 5.5" (13.5 cm) from the topmost coral, porites. Had read, that others have such light at 7" (17.5 cm), is mine too close?

Thanks.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

You would want the lights no less than 6 and no higher than 12 inches from the waters surface.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I've got a 12 gallon nano with 70w MH inside the canopy. That puts it about 4" from the water level.

No issues other than the obvious ones around heat.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:45 AM
------------

It may seem like a total newbie thing to say, however I've never really understood why lights need to be a certain distance off of the water.

I can see these reasons...

-high enough that they won't be splashed with SW
-high enough that radiant heat from the fixture is not transferred (as much) to the water surface
-Better spread of light across your tank

Other than that...?

The amount of light reaching the surface of the water will not vary much whether the lamp is 6 or 12 inches from the water. Certainly some is lost by scattering/absorbtion in the air, yet I believe this is minimal in less than 12" of air.

Even light like UV shouldn't decrease much over that distance.. am I way off base here?

Is the only reason that you will have a better spread of light, and thus less intense W/m^2 at any given spot on the water?
Will 70W of MH really exceed wha the corals can take, even if the lamp is 0.5" away from them?
Old 11/09/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I have my 2 x 150 watt MH's about 3" above the water with 2 x 70 cfm fans cooling them and the water. My lights are on for about 6 hours a day with no temp movement.
Old 11/09/2007, 02:04 PM
mmmmmm Fish

High enough so they stay dry is the most important--

I'd target at least 6" off the water, 8" or more would be better. Mine are about 10" off the water.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 11/09/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

The Aquapod with 70 watt halide is maybe four inches off the water, no heat issues here.
Old 11/09/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Thank you, most helpful!

As I understand, no significant UV danger even at my lamp height. Will place it slightly higher, at 6", just in case.