Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 09:38 AM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Chillers - Inside or Out?

I have had an Aqua Medic chiller on my 120 for almost 2 years and it has given up the ghost. I'm actually a little glad it's gone really...

Some of my biggest complaints are the hot air pumped in the room by the chiller and all the noise. I began to wonder if the chiller is having to compensate for the hot air it is pumping out because it heats the room plus all the extra work on my central air conditioning unit and causing extra electricity costs.

My thoughts are to put my new chiller outdoors and run the lines through the wall. I would assume that it would be best to put a box around the chiller with screen or some sort of air flow ability. I also wondered if the line needed to be insulated...

Does anyone have an example of something they've bought or constructed for this?

How about any pro or cons that you've experienced in going this route...

I live in Oklahoma so we do get some winter days at 0 and summers with many days above 100.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Old 04/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

I have seen people use nice rubbermaid storage containers to put their equipment in and insulate the pipes going in and out of the house. I have seen examples in New York, California, and Florida.

There are two types of people in this hobby:
"The ones who have had a tank crash, and the ones that are going to have a tank crash"
Old 04/23/2007, 10:12 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

I just bought a Current-Prime chiller and going to have it outside. I bought the Rubbermaid outdoor storage box to put it in (it water proof and it locks). Hopefully it will work well. BTW, I'm in Texas.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Good question Starman, and you cite all the reasons not to chill out. I think I only would go with chiller if I had it in the basement/garage and it had highest efficiency ratings, which sounds expensive.
Old 04/23/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

I have chiller in rubbermaid closet outside in N. Cali. I use AQIII and run it in a line with an input fan and output fan and all three turn on at 80 degrees. Helps get cool air into chiller from outside and push hot air produced by chiller out of shed. Works well but in pretty temperate weather enviroment. Before I put fans in air flow didn't work so well with only passive vents.
Old 04/23/2007, 02:33 PM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by tylorarm
I have chiller in rubbermaid closet outside in N. Cali. I use AQIII and run it in a line with an input fan and output fan and all three turn on at 80 degrees. Helps get cool air into chiller from outside and push hot air produced by chiller out of shed. Works well but in pretty temperate weather enviroment. Before I put fans in air flow didn't work so well with only passive vents.
Do you have some pictures of your set up? I think the container sounds excellent!

Thanks all.
Old 04/23/2007, 02:35 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I've been running my chiller that way since the 180 went up a couple years ago. The tank is on the other side of a garage wall so I just plumbed it through the wall.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 04/23/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser Tang
I just bought a Current-Prime chiller and going to have it outside. I bought the Rubbermaid outdoor storage box to put it in (it water proof and it locks). Hopefully it will work well. BTW, I'm in Texas.
What are you going to do about the heat that the chiller generates with the outdoor temperature of 100+ degrees? I was thinking about putting a chiller in the garage but during the summer the temps get to 110 in there on many of the really hot days down here in Texas and I worry about the efficiency of the chiller and its ability to operate effectively with such a large temperature difference.

Old 04/23/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

my chiller and my MH ballasts are all outside... this reduces the noice and the heat issues... outside, I have my ballast and chiller sitting on cinder blocks with wood board blocking it from rain...
Old 04/23/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

I had pumps and chiller outside before I moved and took that tank down. For noise and heat control it was excellent! I'm in Houston, so also nice and hot outside. Never had any issues with it keeping the tank cool, but I'm sure it made my electric bill go up some since it was outside in the heat.

Exterior (exciting, it's a box!)

Added vents to each end, using a window screen 'kit'

The guts (two Iwaki pumps, antique chiller, and a fan)
Old 04/23/2007, 10:22 PM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Tedu,

Very nice set up!

How far into the house does the chiller and pump lines have to go before they reach your tank?

Obviously you don't have to be concerned with freezing temps in Houston but do you insulate the hose to not lose your cooler temps going back?

Thanks for the pics!

Robert
Old 04/23/2007, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

I've a 1/2hp Current Prime Tower and yes it does put out lots of heat(I think that means its working) but I'm going to put it up stairs in a climate controlled storage room. I've ordered a Iwaki 30 to pump up ten ft I believe it will still push 600gph.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

For that installation, it pretty much was just on the other side of the wall.

I was using SpaFlex which is actually pretty thick, but didn't do any additional insulation.

Another 'tip' was that I used generic mouse pads to make 'gaskets' on the interior and exterior walls of the house, then cut small openings in the pad for the pipe to run through.