Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2006, 06:11 PM
Hawks Rule!

My tanks are bare bottom and so are my sumps. I don't have any baffles in my sump. I use eggcrate to hold the cheato in place.

You can make the sump level anything you desire. A single U tube overflow will handle roughly 600gph. This is way too much for your small tank. I wouldn't put more then 200 gph through your sump on your tank.

I would definitely go ahead and cook the rock. Yo have nothing to lose by doin so.

Is there anybody local to you that might have an overflow laying around? Where you located in IL?

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 07/11/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I'm located near crystal lake if you know where that is, very north IL. How would I get an overflow that was around 200 gph if a single U tube overflow is 600 gph, what other types of overflows are there that are able to put around 200 gph through a sump?

I have always wondered if you could put a maxijet in the tank, have a tube run from the maxijet to the sump and then have a more powerful maxijet pumping water up through another tube running back to the tank. I know no one does this and there must be a reason, just wondering what that reason is.
Old 07/11/2006, 07:08 PM
Hawks Rule!

The reason you can't do that is one pump will out flow the other and cause flooding.

You can use a single U-tube no problem at all. Post in the Cmas forum, there's gotta be someone close to you willing to help out a young reefer. Barrington is pretty far for me, but there are some people that post in the forum near you.

A good return pump would be an Eheim 1250. That and an overflow box will cost less then $100 if you prefer to get new stuff.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

Old 07/11/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Okay I'll check that out. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07/11/2006, 07:13 PM
Hawks Rule!

My pleasure Matt! Good luck to you!

Old 07/11/2006, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

you'll be much happier with the sump - even w/o the baffles. With the sump you can remove heaters, probes, etc from the display. Also helps with water changes and/or adding supplements.

You'll learn a lot about basic plumbing concepts which will pay off big time in the long run when building future systems.

Good luck and post pics when you're done if possible.
Old 07/11/2006, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

btw - I've been cooking about 200 lbs of LR for longer than I've wanted to now. It looks better (more porous and alge free) than I thought possible. It definitely works.
Old 07/11/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=883901